Final Fantasy XIV - Barraged With DDoS Attacks

Aubrielle

Noveliste
Final Fantasy XIV's servers have sustained a barrage of DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attacks. Nobody knows who's responsible, or why they're doing it.

Final-Fantasy-14-Oh-crap.jpg

Earlier today, reports surfaced that Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn has been under attack from a Direct Denial of Service (DDoS) assault. A post on the game’s official site confirms the attacks, but assures players that no character or personal information has been compromised.

According to the official post, the game’s servers have been hit by “an anonymous third-party” for several days, which has affected login to the game servers in North America and Europe. To clarify, a DDoS is a targeted attack that, as the official post explains, “attemp to increase the server load to an extensive level by flooding the network of the targeted servers using a massive number of computers.”

DDoS attacks are somewhat commonplace for most high-profile online systems; World of Warcraft‘s expansion launch faced a similar attack last weekend. They are usually resolved quickly, but this time around the attackers have apparently been changing their methods constantly to thwart attempts to block them from overloading the servers.

Square Enix apologized to players for the interruptions, and has assured everyone that they will “continue to monitor and work on recovery from every possible angle.” No word yet on who may be responsible for the attacks or what their ultimate goal may be.

More information.

More information.

Its sad that there are so many immature and childish people out there who get their satisfaction by making it harder for others to play.

Just a correction since the original article has it wrong. DDOS is Distributed Denial of Service (not "Direct" for the first D as the original article has it).

Corrected. :)

Thanks, Caidh!

It's sad FF went into MMO. And when you're MMO and betray your fans, well... I'm pretty sure older FF games never even heard about DDOS nor have problems with that.

Maybe just a marketing technique: so the game gets some news coverage and people read about it.

FF XIV Reborn is an excellent MMO. It has always reminded me of EQ2 in some ways but with better graphics. I think the *current* version of FF XIV is better than the *current* version of EQ2.

Its sad that there are so many immature and childish people out there who get their satisfaction by making it harder for others to play.

Just a correction since the original article has it wrong. DDOS is Distributed Denial of Service (not "Direct" for the first D as the original article has it).

never underestimate a determined 12 year old.

I think they even start sooner these days. For a moment I thought the kid in the picture was responsible :)

Anyway no interest in this one so I'm egoistically not bothered

It doesn't really matter what the person doing this wants. Presumably the site will be able to filter out the packets and get back to their business.

Back
Top Bottom