Fave city trip Europe?

You can go by Train to Bergen, it would take you a little more than 24 hours, I think.

If you're interested in modern art, Tate Modern in London is great. If you go there, be sure to visit the Rothko room.

I like London, in fact I'm going there next month. Looking forward to spend one whole day in the Science Museum.

And you can travel to London from Brussels using the Eurostar, but I suppose you knew that. At 300kmph. Under the channel. YAAAAY! (I also really like trains.)

Which is…? Your location is listed as "Europe".

If you read her post you'd see it is the netherlands :p

Budapest is a really interesting city if you want to go for something unique…. as for the swedish sightseeings if it is not something you are planning to do yet…. let us know when you are planning the trip to the nordics and we can give you lots of update reports.

As for norwegian nature…. some parts are extremely beautiful, but I would say sweden can match most of it…. at one part or another. + We have a lot more culture / music / city life / such a things entertainment here.

If you for this trip decide on Germany, I'd say ( not for 7 days ) but Lübeck and Travemünde, are worth a visit IMHO, it has some really old and fascinating buildings there, and also a nice beach among other things. I enjoyed my visit there + the population is very friendly.

A place I have been wanting to visit but I didn't take the step yet is Austria, in summer and winter,, there is supposed to be some really beautiful castles in the nature up in the alps, and in Vienna you have a loot of culture. Can't give too many tips about that though since I didn't do it yet.

No clubbing, bars or McDonalds for me.
Things I like: modern art, historic places and museums, nature. Good restaurants, every now and then one with regional specialities. Music: classical, world, acoustic. Theater, yes. I've rarely seen a musical but I'm open to suggestions.

Try Berlin. Full of history, full of museums, art, etc. … You'd need a month for visiting everything there … ;)

In Cologne, imho only the Cathedral ("Kölner Dom") and the roman remains re interesting ... The famous Dionysos Mosaic of the "Römisch-Germanisches Museum", for example.
And the churches, of course ! I know few other towns of this size with a similar high number of churches !

Nature in Norway >>> Nature in Sweden

Which part of nature in sweden have you visited exactly ?

A lot of people don't know we have a bunch of beautiful fjords in the north if you like that kind of thing.

In the south we have a very varied nature, which can't be found in Norway.

We also have a lot of archipelago filled with beautiful islands, so which aspects are you looking at ?

Than to the east we have Gotland, which has some world unique beautiful nature and birds, and fascinating rock formations.

+++

Many of our beauty spots are not filled with gigantic cruise ships :p that was the single most annoying thing for me traveling the norwegian fjords.

Which part of nature in sweden have you visited exactly ?

A lot of people don't know we have a bunch of beautiful fjords in the north if you like that kind of thing.

In the south we have a very varied nature, which can't be found in Norway.

We also have a lot of archipelago filled with beautiful islands, so which aspects are you looking at ?

Than to the east we have Gotland, which has some world unique beautiful nature and birds, and fascinating rock formations.

+++

Many of our beauty spots are not filled with gigantic cruise ships :p that was the single most annoying thing for me traveling the norwegian fjords.

Just wanted to tease you a bit and you took the bait ;)

Actually, I don't know except for the few places in Sweden I've been to. Names I don't remember, but as I recall - it was like driving through an endless forest :)

What I found, was that Norway had an amazing variety - and struck me as incredibly majestic. It was much more fertile - where Sweden almost seems barren in comparison.

But I know there are probably places in Sweden that are just as beautiful - and I'm sure you can provide screenshots.

@ DArtagnan
First come and try Athens efficiency and then we talk some more. hehe!

Sounds pretty bad :)

I think we have one of the worst public transportation systems in Europe… At least based on the places I've been to - like London, Germany, Czechoslovakia, Italy, etc…

We tend to think so until we lived in another place...... like when I met a colleague from london a few months ago... if it snows in London? well we get one week off.. it is impossible to get to work..........

Norwegian vs Swedish nature:
Both countries have similar nature. I think the biggest difference is that it's everywhere you go in Norway. So easy to access no matter where you are. In fact, you can't avoid it even if you want to.

For example, straight from the city of Bergen you can take a cable car and see this:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bjarnebs/1452083647/

Or from the mountain next to it:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/anboro/3527995200/

Or from another mountain near the same city. Have to walk to get to the top of this one, no cart or anything. Takes about an hour:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/c/cf/Lyderhorn_view_towards_west.jpg

Like I said, it's everywhere you go. In fact, I actually live to the left in that last picture there (I can see my house from the top of that mountain).

Of course, Bergen "only" has a quarter of a million inhabitans, so if anyone looking for a big city type of vacation should probably look elsewhere.

Another thing that at least some dutch people appreciate - those who have migrated -here is polpulation density, or lack thereof.

While the Netherlands boast a hearty 400 people/square km, population density in Norway is 12.5. At 20, Sweden, isn't exactly crowded either. Admittedly you have to go outside the city centres, but as Maylander shows, not very far.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of a 'short' city trip, Europe, 7 days, hotel, outside high season.

What's your favourite European city? Why? Remarkable, notable things to do, to see, to experience, to eat?
Let's say, if you come to Lisboa, I'll pay you a drink. :)

All cities look the same, what's so special about them anyway? The only exciting city is Las Vegas. That's something special and a worthwhile trip.

Modern Art is one thing I don't know about.
Historic Places and museums: If this is really one of your interests then I have to say Rome ! When I went there I was in the city for a week of just visiting places, there's so much to see: Coliseum, Forums, Old Churches, Ghetto of Rome,
I'm definitely interested in the old Roman buildings, the Roman history, the way the Romans lived, always have been. I've never been there, in Italy, I don't exactly understand why, Italy's a beautiful country so I've heard, but somehow I've always felt a slight reluctance. Unfair and unfounded I'm sure. Dreaming about Italy I see… refuse bags, macho boys on scooters, mafia and, yikes!, Berlusconi. :( ;)
Yes, well, maybe it's time to face reality. I'll simply ignore the present and go for the past. :)

Closer to the Netherlands, I would say Berlin & Potsdam
I enjoyed Berlin, I've been there, a long weekend some years ago - it was too short. A week's better. Never been to Potsdam.

I myself had been thinking of Berlin. And Brussels, Madrid, Sevilla, Barcelona, Prague and Vienna. But it's so hard to choose…

would even be able to recommend a cheapish motel/hotel
Please do.

London (…) Lots of museums too for both art and history, including a good one for modern art
Tate Modern? Because that's the one that was already on my list.

By the way, are u going on your own or with a family, girlfriend, boyfriend, …. ?
Me and my man.

There's the British Museum, not very weird, but tons of history there (literally). The London Dungeon is quite good too, might be scary if you're going with young kids. Oh yeah, if Lion King is not your cup of tea, then Chicago is apparently quite good, but when I went to see it (well, when my parents dragged me out) I was about 8 or 9 years old and I fell asleep, but my mom really enjoyed it
British Museum, London Dungeon, ok, thanks, I'll check it out with Google. Chicago is that one still 'on'? I'd like to see that one. The Lion King, isn't that one better when you've got kids?

If you prefer theatre, then Agatha Christie's The Mousetrap is quite good and so is the Woman in Black. If Mayumana is in town I would really recommend to see them, but they do tour Europe, so you might have seen them.
Mousetrap, Woman in Black, Mayumana, noted, I'll check it out. Thanks! Love your tips.

If you haven't you should go to Antwerp, there's quite a lot of artsy stuff as well as some history.
Antwerpen, that's home ;) I've been there quite often, for a stroll and to have dinner basically. I rarely get to know the history and museums of the places I frequent, isn't that odd?

Please tell me about the artsy stuff and history. It's practically next door, I can visit it any time, no need to plan a special city trip.
I like Antwerpen, although I've always felt a bit embarrassed, and tried, in vain, to hide my Dutch accent (I've never visited the 'vogeltjesmarkt', does that count?).
I'm definitely interested in good restaurants and places with Live Music, could you give me a few names?
Perhaps you or your friends can help me out on this one too: I remember a cellar I once visited with long lost local friends, near the center, where classical music was heard, candles were lit and drinks were served - any idea where it is? I can't find it on my own.

If you go with people who know the place, you get to see more stuff. It's the little things that matter, including knowing the right places to eat.

Yes, that's why I thought of asking here. :) Though Google is useful too. Last year in Brugge I visited (among other things) a chocolate museum and French fries museum. In Paris (among other things) I enjoyed an amazing display of fireworks (show had sound and laser too), an erotic museum and the Musée Nissim de Camondo, the latter was superb, on a previous visit I went underground: Paris' sewers, most interesting.
I google for restaurants too and read the reviews from locals.

There's a very nice art museum on Margritte
Noted.

Even if you make a plan and see not all of it is to your liking, it's only 45 mins drive to the beach in Knokke
Hm, Knokke, there's a pyrotechnic contest each year, right?

If you like nature, Norway is to place to be! Fjords, huge mountains, valleys, lakes, you name it. If you don't like nature, go somewhere else - Norway has the lowest population density in continental Europe. Even in cities like Bergen you're literally surrounded by mountains and fjords.

Other than that, Copenhagen is a pretty nice city. The obvious ones London, Paris and Berlin are pretty good to if your main interest is to "see the sights". Lots of history. Rome and Athens too most likely, though I haven't actually seen either one.

It all depends on what you're looking for. :)
O, I like nature very much and being surrounded by mountains and fjords sounds lovely. An ex of mine was lyrical about Norway, he lived there for 6 months (He taught me: 'Jeg elsker deg' :) )
I'd lke to visit Norway (and/or Sweden) one day, but then I'll take a normal holiday (two or three weeks), not a one week city trip.

For example, straight from the city of Bergen you can take a cable car and see this: …

Only if it isn't foggy/cloudy. I was there in August and from my experience Bergen is mostly gray. :raincloud: And then there are the trolls… :uhoh:

I have been in Copenhagen last month for a week. Great city,though i enjoyed more the efficiency that everything working over there. Too few sightseeings for me.
Now the city i love the most is Berlin. Been there many times and each time i feel there are more to see. I may, even, move permanently.
Athens, is the city i live in. I think it has way to many things to see and enjoy, besides the famous. Though, it is really a bad period with too many strikes and social uprising at the moment. I strongly suggest as the best period spring or fall time. Never summer(go to an island)

I have been to Copenhagen when I was a child. I remember that lady in the sea, similar to that boy in Brussels in a way…: is that all there is? :)
A weekend is more appropriate for Copenhagen, I expect. I like the Danish countryside though, very idyllic, very charming.

Berlin, I've been there once, went there by train, lovely trip. Nice to read that you feel there's still more to explore, what have you done so far in Berlin?

Athens, mm, I have been there two days, somewhere in June if I recall correctly, dusty and dry it was. Indeed, not very appealing nowadays (demonstrations, violence). I'd like to visit the northern/northeastern part of Greece once. Am I correct when I think it's rather green over there?

Back
Top Bottom