RPGWatch GOTY 2011

And I've dealt with it!!. Next time I'll delete it.

So noted, was typing that post before I checks my email. Edited out my own personal attack.

Maybe Skyrim isn't as alien as Morrowind was, but it can be argued that the nordic style has not been used in many rpg's, at least lately. And to be fair, it's not like they said lets make a nordic game and make stuff up on the fly, this province has been around for at least 15 years or so, they just chose to draw on it.

You could also argue that it isn't as story driven as say the witcher 2, but that isn't the intent of the game, it is more an open sandbox where you can go where you want. The writing is not bad by any means, I think it does a great job of the making the world feel interesting.

Any game can be pulled apart if you are looking hard enough, but even if it has bumps and warts it is that good that you can lose yourself in it's world then it has done it's job.

I have no idea how you completed all the guild and storyline quests in 28 hours....I have spent at least twice to three times as much. Maybe you need to wander off and find some quests that are off the beaten path and look around. I have no idea, just that it was not like that when I played it. Also, to the poster who mentioned that it was like mole hills instead of mountains....what rpg are you playing with larger mountains....I thought they did really well with it, in a game setting.

Maybe Skyrim isn't as alien as Morrowind was, but it can be argued that the nordic style has not been used in many rpg's, at least lately. And to be fair, it's not like they said lets make a nordic game and make stuff up on the fly, this province has been around for at least 15 years or so, they just chose to draw on it.
Except the Province was elaborated on before, and they've basically just taken the names of towns and decided to say fuck the lore, we want awesome, far future, no tech development, no logical growth, cities the size of towns. Towns are 3 huts for the quest givers, an inn and a shop.

You know what I was thinking when I saw and Dragons, and I saw Skyrim, Hey Skyrim it's that place the Akavir generally start their invasions from, hey, didn't that Akaviri tiger dude recently become a Dragon. Maybe that's where their going with it. BUT NO, SKYRIM, NORDS, LAWLESS NORDS WHO SHOUT AT THINGS IN THE DRAGONS TONGUE. The thing about the lore previously was the Skyrim was the second most civilized nation of man after Cyrodil. With more complex politics than EVEN MORROWIND. The dynamics of the holds could have been interesting to play out, but nope, you can be Thane of every Jarldom, and a head of every major faction who isn't the empire in star wars, and a champion of all the daedra, and a leader of the rebellion. It just erks on me, where the hell is the Bethesda of Morrowind who wasn't above putting in game mythos above the petty power fantasies of its players. I mean come on, Morrowind made you figurative Jesus, and somehow it's worse for the players to make them have to be excluded from something, doesn't test well.

You could also argue that it isn't as story driven as say the witcher 2, but that isn't the intent of the game, it is more an open sandbox where you can go where you want. The writing is not bad by any means, I think it does a great job of the making the world feel interesting.
Yes it is, it's terrible writing, it's indulgent, the questlines are entirely too rushed, I've done what, 5 missions for these people, and suddenly I'm a member of your inner circle, and you're going to force me to become a werewolf to continue your questline.

And don't even get me started on the thieves guild.
Any game can be pulled apart if you are looking hard enough, but even if it has bumps and warts it is that good that you can lose yourself in it's world then it has done it's job.
The thing was, when I was playing skyrim, I was often thinking of how, "This was done so much better in X" and it pulled me from the experience.

I have no idea how you completed all the guild and storyline quests in 28 hours….I have spent at least twice to three times as much. Maybe you need to wander off and find some quests that are off the beaten path and look around. I have no idea, just that it was not like that when I played it. Also, to the poster who mentioned that it was like mole hills instead of mountains….what rpg are you playing with larger mountains….I thought they did really well with it, in a game setting.

It's really hard to do mountain sized scale in a game that takes place in 18 square miles. The mountains in game while they are decently done, are just not large enough. The tallest mountain in game is just scant amounts larger than the highest point in Oblivion.

Also why should I change my playstyle to adapt to squalid conditions, when I can simply demand better or go back to playing other games.

Also the answer to playing it fast, is going to each location you get via fast travel, travel as quickly as possible via a sprinting horse from the nearest fast travel marker you have. And I did what I'd call an exorbitant amount of wandering I'd say, simply to find the meridia quest without a guide.

Well I guess we will just disagree then, I'm not sure which other games you are playing that do it so well...but, I'm not sure thats even the case here. I'm not getting baited into this again.

The reason I do not argue with codexers like you villian, is that you come across as sanctimonius creeps who think they basically know everything.

Shhhhh, keep it down honey, I know it hurts but try not to wake up the kids.

R00fles!!!

You've got some great members here in this fine community, dear Watchers! People who don't even have the courage to face facts and instead go for personal attacks.

Any game can be pulled apart if you are looking hard enough

Honey, you don't even have to look hard to pull Skyrim apart. One needs only to be blind or a young and inexperienced gamer to not see them. But once again, what a great rebuttal. A++, would read it again.

Shhhhh, keep it down honey, I know it hurts but try not to wake up the kids.

R00fles!!!

You've got some great members here in this fine community, dear Watchers! People who don't even have the courage to face facts and instead go for personal attacks.

I learned that years ago nothing new. Just remember this golden rule-
1. Though shall not hate or post your bad opinion of Bioware or Bethesda;)

If you do you will cause a shit storm with the defenders getting loud over those with more refined tastes.:lol:

Well, as a gesture for these insecure underage members of this community who worship Bethesda and are too afraid to face facts and accept the truth that their favourite game developer isn't all rosy-glasses, I could rip apart one of my own favourite games right in front of them: Fallout: New Vegas. It's in my top 10. And it would be pretty easy to do so as it's basically the same as Oblivion/FO3/Skyrim, having been built on the same technical framework.

I'll just copy-paste every fact I wrote about Skyrim above and add the few really good things about New Vegas like quests/characterisation/writing/story/pacing.

R00FLES!!!

Some of you lot need to calm down and stop the personal attacks.

It's hard for me to say what my GotY is, but I'd most likely vote The Witcher 2, even though I didn't care for it much (I preferred it over Skyrim, truthfully).

It's hard for me to say what my GotY is, but I'd most likely vote The Witcher 2, even though I didn't care for it much (I preferred it over Skyrim, truthfully).

Yes I agree I enjoyed The Witcher 2 more than Skyrim also. Its a shame a game that came out at the end of the year will defeat it on most websites. I'm already getting bored of skyrim but I still play The Witcher 1 and 2.

I 'd go for The Witcher 2 too although it does what i hate the most in RPGs - stocking me with quests that take forever to complete + make me control other characters outside my PC .
Too bad there wasn't any good aRPG this year , i really need some hack 'n' slash action :D

@ Villain of the Story

You seem to accuse some posters of being juvenile, unintellectual and insecure. But, just out of curiosity, I would like to ask you: How would you call someone that would suddenly become insane, and out of nowhere without apparent reason bursts out in rage, and starts assaulting others through intensive verbal violence?

Last edited:
Let's, as others have said, stop the crap and discuss the games, rather than each other!!

Let's, as others have said, stop the crap and discuss the games, rather than each other!!

Not really. This thread is about the GOTY 2011 list. Detailed discussions about specific games are off topic!

Thanks to everybody who helped compile the temporary list.

Frayed Knights
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Drakensang: The River of Time
Two Worlds II
The Witcher 2
Dragon Age 2
Avadon: The Black Fortress
Dead Island
Might & Magic: Heroes VI
Din's Curse - Demon War
ArcaniA: Fall of Setarrif
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Dungeons of Dredmor
The Sims Medieval
Two Worlds II: Pirates of the Flying Fortress
The First Templar
Bastion
Grotesque Tactics 2
Demise: Ascension
Phileasson's Secret
LOTR: War in the North
Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale

What's missing?
Which games should be removed from the list and why?

Not really. This thread is about the GOTY 2011 list. Detailed discussions about specific games are off topic!

What do you mean by that? We can't discuss the games we're voting on?

Isn't that what Game of the Years are supposed to promote, discussion?

TW2POTFF is an expansion pack.

Bastion is an action game, with no actual player stats. This isn't really an RPG.

Demise Ascension is an expanded rerelease of Demise Rise of Ku Tan, and thus not really a game released entirely this year.

Heroes of Might and Magic are primarily strategy games, note really RPGs.

Phileason's Secret is an Expansion pack.

Two Worlds 2 was released to Europe in 2010.

As was Drakensang RoT.

Din's Curse was released in 2010, the Demon War is an expansion pack to that.

Arcania Fall of Setaref is an expansion pack, not an actual game.

If expansions are in, so should be the four F: NV story DLCs, I´m quite sure Old World Blues has at least the same amount of content as that Arcania thing.

Also, Dungeon Siege 3.

What do you mean by that? We can't discuss the games we're voting on?

Isn't that what Game of the Years are supposed to promote, discussion?
You aren't voting yet.
Please save your discussion posts for the actual poll. During the preparations they're only a distraction.

Thanks for your input on all those games. :)

If expansions are in, so should be the four F: NV story DLCs, I´m quite sure Old World Blues has at least the same amount of content as that Arcania thing.

Also, Dungeon Siege 3.
Yes, should be in.

Definitely no DLCs, unless we create a new category for them.

It's not clear yet if expansions will be included. The lists so far are just collections of possible candidates.

d) TW2POTFF is an expansion pack.

a) Bastion is an action game, with no actual player stats. This isn't really an RPG.

a) Demise Ascension is an expanded rerelease of Demise Rise of Ku Tan, and thus not really a game released entirely this year.

a) Heroes of Might and Magic are primarily strategy games, note really RPGs.

b) Phileason's Secret is an Expansion pack.

c) Two Worlds 2 was released to Europe in 2010.

c) As was Drakensang RoT.

b) Din's Curse was released in 2010, the Demon War is an expansion pack to that.

b) Arcania Fall of Setaref is an expansion pack, not an actual game.

Current status of internal discussion:
a) included
b) all add-ons and DLCs excluded
c) Pushed to 2011 in last year's poll. Have to be included.
d) Stand-alone game, although just an add-on. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom