Barack fixing the auto industry

dteowner

Shoegazer
I apologize for not having a link. I received this as a scan of a magazine article, so I'm afraid I don't know the source. I have no reason to doubt its veracity, though. I'll just type it in for your enjoyment. Any spelling errors are mine. Any grammar errors (and there are a couple I noticed) are original. The parantheticals are also from the original text.
Do You Appreciate the Laws of Physics?
A very big Thanks to Michigan member Mike Partridge who sent in this bit of humor, which was forwarded from a senior-level person at Chrysler. The date on this note was Sunday, July 19, 2009.

Monday morning, I attended a breakfast meeting where the speaker/guest was David E. Cole, Chairman, Center for Automotive Research (CAR) and Professor at the University of Michigan. You have all likely heard CAR quoted, or referred to in the auto industry news lately.

Mr. Cole, who is an engineer by training, told many stories of the difficulty of working with the folks that the Obama administration has sent to save the auto industry. There have been many meetings where a 30+ year experienced automotive expert has to listen to a newcomer to the industry, someone with zero manufacturing experience, zero auto industry experience, zero finanance experience and zero engineering experience, tell them how to run their business.

Mr. Cole's favorite story is as follows: There was a team of Obama people speaking to Mr. Cole (engineer, automotive experience of 40+ years, and Chairman of CAR). They were explaining to Mr. Cole that the auto companies needed to make a car that was electric and liquid natural gas (LNG) with enough combined fuel to go 500 miles so we wouldn't "need" so many gas stations (a whole other topic). They were quoting BTU's of LNG and battery life that they had looked up on some website.

Mr. Cole explained that to do this you would need a TRUNK FULL of batteries and a LNG tank as big as the car to make that happen, and that there were problems related to the laws of physics that prevented them from…

The Obama person interrupted and said (and I am quoting here): "These laws of phyics? Whose rules are those? We need to change that." (Some of the others wrote down the law name so they could look it up.) "We have the congress and administration. We can repeal that law, amend it, or use and executive order to get rid of that problem. That's why we are here, to fix these sorts of issues."

…And these are the same people who are going to fix healthcare?!?
Can we fix it? Yes we can! And that, my friends, is change we need. :rolleyes:

Well, it's an excellent joke, but you'll have to pardon me if I don't quite believe that one, dte. I have to keep a few illusions. :)

Well that sucks. Thanks for the fact check, Arhu. I'm not sure we should be heartened that it was only a senator that said something along those lines, though.

Senators, eh? Now that makes sense. After listening to some of what our fine elected representatives have been saying lately, that's unfortunately all too believable.

Yeah, when it comes to politicians, people usually get what they deserve!! :)

What's the point putting money to poor car industry. If they are making bad cars that nobody buys and then they bankrupt, why bother to save them. Should goverment give money to EA, if they start to putting out lausy games that nobody buys, because of the jobs? People will eventually found a new job, since there is new "players" on the table...

Real or fake it was still a good joke, thanks dte :)

All the appropriate threads are locked up, so I'm going to derail this one since my offering doesn't merit a thread of its own. Offtopic, but iz my thread anyway, dammit.

=============
A Shocking Realization

My dog sleeps about 20 hours a day. She has her food prepared for her.

She can eat whenever she wants, 24 hrs a day / 7 days a week / 365 days a year. Her meals are provided at no cost to her.

She visits the Dr. once a year for her checkup, and again during the
year if any medical needs arise. For this she pays nothing, and nothing is required of her.

She lives in a nice neighborhood in a house that is much larger than she needs, but she is not required to do any upkeep. If she makes a mess, someone else cleans it up.

She has her choice of luxurious places to sleep. She receives these accommodations absolutely free.

She is living like a queen, and has absolutely no expenses whatsoever. All of her costs are picked up by others who go out and earn a living every day.

I was just thinking about all this, and suddenly it hit me like a brick
in the head.....Holy Shit!!! My dog is a Democrat!

Despite the error, a politician works with administration, distribution and planning. They aren't experts and their insight in what they do isn't better than the intelligence they get. Instead of going after the obama administration, perhaps going after their advisors might be a better idea.

All the appropriate threads are locked up, so I'm going to derail this one since my offering doesn't merit a thread of its own. Offtopic, but iz my thread anyway, dammit.

=============
A Shocking Realization

My dog sleeps about 20 hours a day. She has her food prepared for her.

She can eat whenever she wants, 24 hrs a day / 7 days a week / 365 days a year. Her meals are provided at no cost to her.

She visits the Dr. once a year for her checkup, and again during the
year if any medical needs arise. For this she pays nothing, and nothing is required of her.

She lives in a nice neighborhood in a house that is much larger than she needs, but she is not required to do any upkeep. If she makes a mess, someone else cleans it up.

She has her choice of luxurious places to sleep. She receives these accommodations absolutely free.

She is living like a queen, and has absolutely no expenses whatsoever. All of her costs are picked up by others who go out and earn a living every day.

I was just thinking about all this, and suddenly it hit me like a brick
in the head…..Holy Shit!!! My dog is a Democrat!

As usual with the rampant generalizations. But that's what makes politics a blood sport. ;)

You know I was just thinking...about snakes.

They're cold blooded.

They are incapable of loyalty or affection, won't attack the strong but cull the weak from the eco-system.

Unlike mammals such as dogs who by nature nurture and protect, they are fine with eating each other if that happens to be the only food available.

Only extremely quirky people identify with them and want them in their houses, and then never in large groups.

Once a year they all ball together in massive groups in a mating orgy/convention. The rest of the year, as mentioned, they eat each other, and any other small defenseless creatures they can sink their fangs into. They can even hypnotize them into thinking everything's okay and being eaten is what said creature really *needs.*

Most importantly, you don't want to disturb them while they're hiding under a rock. Their bite can be poisonous.

So, snakes must be Republicans?

Yessssss, I think thatsssss possssssible. :p

i think its a great thought and offer to save our plants here in the united states and maybe they will decide to do something about it and make a proposal for it cause me personally i would take on the offer if i had the right equiptment and enough help to get the job done and i also feel like if they dont agree to the proposal and allow access to for it to get done then they dont really wannna save our economy because they is a great ideal and that is the most outstanding you could offer anyone who know it capable of happening and i feel like if there is a will then theres a way and anyone willing to try they should make a way for them to get it done. why i feel like that is because they have enough money and power to make atomic weapons and nuclear weapons then they can find the time and money to make a change and like obama said together we can,we did,so they should cause together we can we did for obama we should to help our jobs,economy,and what our state and coumntry are known for automobiles and plants; and what are we to do if they do close our plants and our people dont have any jobs or careers then together we did,can and will fall as one nation together.SO I SAY MAKE A CHANGE AND MAKE THAT DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD MAKE AMERICA KNOWN FOR DOING NOTHING BUT THE BEST AND SUCCESSFUL AT ANYTHING GIVING TO US RATHER ITS FOR THE GOOD OR THE BAD CAUSE AT ANY TIME SOMEONE IS GIVING A HARDC TASK BUT ITS UP TO YOU TO MAKE IT HAPPEN AND HOPE FOR THE BEST.BUT FROM ME TO YOU AND THE WORLD I WISH YOU THE BEST OF LUCK ON THIS AND EVERYTHING ELSE. AND REMEMBER TOGETHER WE CAN. SO MAKE THAT CHANGE AND DELIVER THAT DIFFERENCE TO THE STREETS.

Back
Top Bottom