Dark Souls II - Interview & New Trailer

Has anyone here played Dragon's Dogma? How does that game compare to the gameplay of Dark Souls? Looking for another 'Dark Soulsish' experience to tide me over until DS2.

I'm surprised to see practically noone has mentioned how awesome the trailer is! :)

About them armors and rolls, as far as I know, not only will armor weight factor in like in Dark Souls, but like others said, Agility and Strength, too. The demos people played at cons were altered not to count armor because numbers weren't ready or balanced yet. At least that's what I heard in several vids from people who played it and asked devs.

It would really surprise (nay shock me!) if they broke the equipment system like that (make armor weight not matter). I believe what they are trying to do is actually make stats matter more, as you said, and as they have stated as a target for #2 in the past.

Strength is new to me though. I assume it will count for attack speed this time perhaps ?
(or will it just add to equipped weight ala endurance?)

P.S The trailer was good but spoilerific (although not horribly so). last one I am seeing! Honest. I'll be stronger next time ;)

Last edited:
I don't consider it spoilerific (nice word!), because it sets the stage sort of, I think nothing is in there that you won't hear in the intro of the game proper. But I'm also the kind of guy who can't resist reading ahead in books and going to game wikis for story tidbits way too early.

I recall hearing that strength will add not only melee damage to strength-scaling weapons, but also poise break (and thus highter chances of stun and knockdown) and the ability to carry heavier armor (along with Endurance somehow). They felt Strength was a pretty weak in Dark Souls, so that's why they are making it more versatile now.

Oh and also, armors will now have stat requirements like weapons, so say goodbye to the level 1 twinks in the starting zones invading people in endgame gear and using OP endgame spells mehehe.

Really, my only concern thus far is that they made coop with friends completely impossible. I'll miss that.

I meant the Boss in game shots (and they were too fast and from weird angles so it wasn't too bad). The story/mood setting bits were great and necessary.

Oh and also, armors will now have stat requirements like weapons, so say goodbye to the level 1 twinks in the starting zones invading people in endgame gear and using OP endgame spells mehehe.

Nice! I like that. Even as a strictly off-line player, I believe it should add more balance, choice and complexity to the character/equipment system. (although I was Ok with the equipped load system as it was too)

680 and 770 are both the same "GK104" Kepler GPU with 1536 shader processors or "CUDA" cores. The 770 core was slightly overclocked, but you could find factory overclocked 680s clocked 200MHz faster still! The main upgrade was with the 770s faster RAM settings. (192 vs 222GB/sec)

The Kepler cards had the GK104, GK106, GK107 and the GK110.

The gk104 was actually MORE powerful than the gk106 (used for the GTX660) and gk107 (used in the GTX650ti )

The GK110 was used in the Titan and 780, but I'm not sure what they tweaked to lower its fp64 calcuations while keeping it a "gk110".

So, you could say the 770 was different enough to warrant being called a different card, but it was really more to do with the settings of the hardware than the hardware itself.

It is a different card.

I'm aware of which cards use those GPUs. Using the same GPU doesn't make it the same card. There are other aspects about the card besides the GPU. For instance, the 770 has a higher voltage setting and improved TDP. They also incorporated the GPU Boost 2.0 tech starting with the 700 series.

As far as factory overclocked cards go, every model has them.

Has anyone here played Dragon's Dogma? How does that game compare to the gameplay of Dark Souls? Looking for another 'Dark Soulsish' experience to tide me over until DS2.

I wasn't too impressed. The battles are big and flashy but nowhere near as challenging (or interesting imo) as Dark Souls. The setting and atmosphere are more of a cliche high-fantasy style.

There's a playable demo you can download from the PSN store.

Dragon's Dogma is excellent. It's a little dark soul-ish indeed but you'll notice differences in combat for sure. It has a rather unique style and I would recommend it very much.

Dragon's Dogma had slipped under my radar until recently. (It's a console game from Capcom after all.) But I'm playing it now and loving it. The visual style and atmosphere is very much like Dark Souls, but the gameplay is completely different.

Lots of flaws for sure, but some aspects of the game are awsome. Character creation is incredible, something I didn't appreciate fully until I started my second playthrough. Exploring the open world is also amazing. I play mostly for exploration and immersion, and the game delivers in spades. Setting off into unknown territory really feels like an adventure. No fast travel and no resting outdoors or in dungeons. You have to be prepared. At least in the early game, when you are low level and have shoddy equipment. Makes for some interesting decisions. Long trek back to town because your party is low on health and provisions, or taking the risk to venture further? It's easy to get in over your head. And the darkness is dark in this game. You really need the lantern to see where you are going.

Also, there is only one save. If you fail a quest, you have to live with it, which is refreshing. I didn't realise this at first. Took a quest to look for a girl who had gone missing in the woods. Had other quests to finish and figured that she would still be there to be found when I got back. (That's the way quests usually work in this type of game, ain't it?) No such luck. :biggrin:

Combat is better than in most ARPGs, but not up there with Dark Souls. Fighting large monsters can be epic. The story is pretty generic fantasy and the voice acting mostly terrible. Still, I highly recommend it.

Well it's a shame those next-generation console graphics look like a couple generations old PC graphics. Hopefully, the PC port will look better, but the monster models looked decided low poly. :/

Back
Top Bottom