What MMORPG should I play?

Question. I just entered the auction house and I'm trying to list an item. When I choose the item, does the price of the item default to what the item last sold for? I haven't tested it to see if it does or not. I can't really tell. But when I tried to list a shield, the price defaulted to 2 gold, 70 silver. Not sure if that's just a placeholder or if it means that's the usual selling price for the item. Any ideas?

Edit - Oh wait, I think it defaults to the price that a vendor would give you for it. Hmm. Okay then, do some items sell for more on the auction house than what a vendor would give for them? Example. A vendor will give me 8 silver for 20 bronze ingots. Would 20 bronze ingots potentially sell for more if I list them for auction?

Yes, crafting materials invariably sell higher on the auction house. Especially commonly used items that require some grinding.

If you have the patience to play the auction house - it can be highly profitable to sell crafting stuff there.

As for how they estimate price - I'm not sure. Just check out what they're normally sold for by others - and don't undercut the prices too much, as you'll only ruin the market for yourself.

The easiest thing to do is search for other posts to see what he market is. Search bronze ingots for example and then undercut the prevailing buyout typically works. I have about 120 gold now doing this. Don't forget you can sell rep items, such as barrow trinkets and treasure. You can make a killing.

I also like to undercut because people need these items and the greedy gouge, which doesn't help anybody.

I keep forgetting to add Calindorr. I will do it next time if I remember.

Dude, this game kicks so much ass. I can't believe an RPG like this even exists. It's like the perfect RPG, for me anyway.

Auction house is great. I sold some bronze ingots and some loose gear and made over 1 gold piece already. Tons of fun. I am grinding my crafting pretty heavily so I will have lots of crafting materials available to post on there. Love it.

I purchased the starter pack + 1550 turbine points for $25. Not bad. I'm saving those points for quest packs down the road. Anything else I should spend points on? I'm thinking of unlocking at least one more virtue trait. It's only 95 points.

Glad you like it and I agree completely. All I've bought at the LOTRO store so far is vault space, a cosmetic hooded cloak to mask my silly looking but effective helmet and some dye for my armor. The set's default color wasblue and that drove e nuts after a while so i dyed it black. I don't really dig the character accelorating / enhancing purchases as I like to earn my way. Plus grinding with slayer deeds lets you optimize your attack patterns.

One thing I keep forgetting to suggest to you: take a look at the Razer Naga mouse. The twelve buttons on the side are no gimmic, they can help keep your eyes on the action and let you use the audible queues for special attacks. It's a lot better than staring at the buttons and it improves in combat mobility tremendously as your left hand does much less - aka more WASD and less hot keys. It is certainly better than mousing the buttons if you are doing that.

I'm not crazy about buying my advancement with the store either, but I did purchase another virtue slot, because IMO, 2 virtue slots are not enough. I have like 5 virtues already at level 18 and I want to actually use some of them.

I also purchased 5 more auction house slots because I'm in love with the auction house. Great way to make money (and spend it too).

I can't believe I'm actually grinding in this game. I usually don't like grinding, but doing it in this game is actually fun and rewarding, with the various deeds and loot drops. I actually enjoy farming lesser mobs just to work on my crafting skills a bit more.

I will check out that mouse. Looks perfect for a game like LOTRO. How do you know which of the 12 buttons to press though? It seems like it could be confusing or hard to use. You press them with your thumb? How do you know you're pressing the 5 and not the 8? Lol. I will read some more reviews and check it out, thanks.

I only use the first two rows (3x2 for 6 total) with my thumb in combat because it gets a bit confusing. With my left hand I use shift and ctrl to switch bars, so i have 18 actions for combat and group the buttons by type on 1 to 6 for each bar. So my core attacks are on the normal bar. When i get the shield block audible i hold shift to access my block chain on the shift bar. My parry audible then has me hold ctrl for that chain, again on 1-6. So the 1-6 buttons are all overloaded and its pretty easy to adapt to. My mouse wheel click is mapped to my race morale restore skill (aka panic button!) and auto run on one of the top buttons, which are too clumsy for combat access.

My brother showed me his Naga yesterday and he is using the stick on bumps that come with the mouse as a feel guide for his "core" button row. I thought that was brilliant.

Yeah, that might help.

You know what sucks? I completely missed out on the Shire! I didn't know it was level 1-18. I figured I would be going there after Bree. Didn't know it ran alongside Bree in level. I really wanted to do some questing there. Oh well. Maybe I'll make a Hobbit character next time.

I'm thinking about these quest packs. I want to buy them while they are still 25% off. Here's what I'm thinking.

Evendim - 32-40
Misty Mountains - 39-50

They seem like the 2 most interesting to me, though I'm also considering Angmar, but it seems pretty dark and gloomy to be spending a lot of time there. Not sure yet.

Later on I will buy Moria, Mirkwood, Isengard, Great River (looks and sounds really interesting to me, even though I technically wouldn't need it to level), and then finally Rohan.

Thoughts?

Yes you want different paths for different toons to keep it fresh. Ered Luin (aka Thorins Gate) is the 3rd starting area. It is very well done as is the Shire. TresleBridge to Evendim and then Misty is better than Troll Shaws and Angmar but frankly the are all fantastic. I've done Angmar twice and it's great. Evendim to Forachel is another option... The list goes on :). Plan on multiple toons!

Almost forgot the Lone Lands (aka Weathertop region). You can hit that instead of Trestle before Evendim. Choices choices!

Evendim is a beautiful area to explore but its quests are completely skippable IMO. I prefer the Trollshaws for that level range. Glad you're enjoying the game; the 1-50 content truly is magical.

Magical indeed, Drithius. The game seems to have everything I could ever want in an RPG; fun combat, great exploration, extensive loot, endless character customization and strong quests/story. The social aspects are just the cherry on top, really.

Just got my first bronze locked box. If either of you guys wants to donate a sturdy steel key, my toon's name is Iarvenhir Steadybow :D. Don't be shy, now. :D

But yeah, I've heard Evendim is beautiful, which is why I was leaning towards going there instead of the other areas. Then again, Trollshaws has freakin' Rivendell, which is probably incredible. I will have to think about it a bit more before making a decision, I guess.

Evendim > Trollshaws any day of the week IMO…. You will end up in Rivendell anyway. All roads ultimately lead there. Don't forget to do the books.

I'm a bit confused with the quest packs.

Trollshaws says it's for levels 30-50, but only has 75 quests. Evendim is only for 32-40 but it has 200 quests. Huh? Shouldn't the one with the larger level range have more quests? How do you get from level 30-50 by only doing 75 quests?

Also, what's the deal with instances and skirmishes? I can do them now. I had someone recruit me for an instance last night but it never happened. Are they repeatable? Do they have any story ties or anything?

XP per quest is the difference I suppose. I never noticed the big disparity honestly. Skirmishes were bolted on a few years ago and I've largely ignored them. The concept never grabbed me but there appears to be some nice gear for tokens with traders. Instances is another bolt on, not sure what it is frankly. I tried to enter the Great Barrow and got the dialog window but decided to move on. It is some kind of streamlined grouping and instance travel mechanism I guess... Others may know. I used up all my keys btw otherwise I would have mailed you one!

Thanks for the thought. I'm trying to save up the 10 gold pieces or so needed to buy one on the auction house. Shouldn't take too long. I've upgraded my auction posts to 10 but I may increase it even higher. As long as my crafting materials keep selling I should be okay.

Skirmish camps do seem to have some great loot. I found multiple pieces of gear that I could definitely use, but I am just unclear on what the skirmishes are exactly. I'm not too interested in just doing some "kill everything in sight just to gain experience and loot" with no real purpose. I am more interested in the story and real quests and not just endless combat. We'll see though. I'm going to do the initiation quest and see what it's like.

I have a quest to go into the Great Barrow I believe. You can't do it solo? I'm always seeing people recruiting party members to do it. Interesting...

Great Barrow is fellowship for certain. You'll get creamed in there solo. Have you done some slayer deeds? I'm pretty sure the Barrow wight slayer deed will net you some keys, probably a few of them. Especially the wights inside the northern barrow instances - Taradan/Ringdor etc. The drops may be rare but the killing isn't :) There are no guarantees but lots of killing = lots of drops. I've had maybe 10 keys in total by level 50. Also - if you are in the Bree area and it is lively try "Trade" channel before resorting to the AH, there are nice people playing the game who will cut you a break. Happens all the time. The Crafting hall is always packed... ask there on the Craft channel or the Region channel. You may have something they want too right?

Again, I wouldn't touch skirmishes for a first playthrough until you get to Moria and beyond. You'll end up leveling clear past the best parts of the game. Think what happened with you and the Shire but on a gamewide scale.

Additionally, Turbine revamped Evendim quests some time ago and now the way they're compartmentalized really irks me. Get to one outpost, pick up 5 quests, complete those 5 quests, get the second set of 5 quests, then the third set, and so forth. Then repeat the same contrived scenario at another outpost.

I don't like that style of questing. I noticed it's used in the Barrow-Downs a bit like that. It can be overwhelming to quest that way.

But, my gut is telling me to go Trollshaws at level 30 so I'm probably going to do that and skip Evendim and Misty Mountains for now. I'll probably pick those up for a second character down the road.

\Too many choices! Well, it's better than having no choices. :) I love how this game seems to have endless amounts of content.

And yeah, I will skip the skirmishes probably, but I do want to complete the initiation quest to get an easy 50 Marks, and then buy some loot from the camp. Although the loot offered there seemed very powerful for very cheap. I'm wondering if picking up that loot the easy way will water down my quest rewards for the next few levels. Hmmm...

Misty Moutains is great! Goblin town! ...one of my best memories is sneaking through there as a burglar :)

Oh, and the barrows quests were part of the revamp - they didn't used to be like that. On one hand, they're far easier to pick up now (they had been mostly located in Bree previously); on the other hand, the way they're assigned does feel contrived.

I truly think it was a different set of developers that worked on the original Shadows of Angmar; later content is just so very different, but that's speculation.

Yeah I don't agree with that criticism at all, especially regarding Evendim, but I do agree on skirmishes.

Back
Top Bottom