Gothic First time playing Gothic

Yeah, the fps mod rocks, settings finaly all good and full steam ahead, time just disappears playing this game, love it :)

Another thing - maybe you can advise me on which mods and stuff to use, so far i have hi res pack, patch for bugs and fullscreen border fix installed tho the border is still there, just white in color now and resolution is 1080x1024 32 maybe i can improve on that since my system is pretty good and is there a camera mod? it seems a bit sluggish, thanx in advance :)

I've never had any issues with resolutions and widescreen in Gothic 1. The Steam version might be different, but with the non-Steam versions all you have to do is edit the config file to get higher resolutions. I play at 1920x1200 without any mods other than the texture pack.

Oddly enough though, Gothic 2 had some issues with widescreen stretching the last time I played it. Not sure if that's been fixed yet.

Yeah, the fps mod rocks, settings finaly all good and full steam ahead, time just disappears playing this game, love it :)

Perfect! And yes, it's a fantastic game. The atmosphere is truly excellent.

I've never had any issues with resolutions and widescreen in Gothic 1. The Steam version might be different, but with the non-Steam versions all you have to do is edit the config file to get higher resolutions. I play at 1920x1200 without any mods other than the texture pack.

Same for the Steam version. I recently installed Gothic 1 and got it to run fine at 2560x1440 with several texture mods and that system pack (which includes several low FPS fixes and unlocks the FPS). That pack is much newer than the Gothic FPS patch from NicoDE and kind of considered a "must have" when playing any of the older Gothics now. Highly recommended.

That system pack is super good, no more border screen from start, no need to tab out and in to get rid of border, and now im able to see the text when going into inventory and shop, big thanx!!! :)
and ofc the game looks even sweeter in 1080 :D

I recently started a replay with my old cdrom I changed my mind and bought it on GOG to save the artifact
I planned to use mods to spice up the graphics but after the first 15 minutes I forgot all about it
Does this mean that the gog version is pre-modded or does it mean that I´m an old fart because I don´t care as soon as the game catches hold of me

I recently started a replay with my old cdrom I changed my mind and bought it on GOG to save the artifact
I planned to use mods to spice up the graphics but after the first 15 minutes I forgot all about it
Does this mean that the gog version is pre-modded or does it mean that I´m an old fart because I don´t care as soon as the game catches hold of me

I think it means that a fun game is an fun game, not matter how old!

You're wrong. How can they be - there are no endless trashmobrespawns in them!
No filler = bad game!
0/10!

I hope newcomers will understand the sarcasm

Gothic is timeless. The first 2 games in the series are, imo, still the greatest open-world aRPGs ever made.

After finally finishing it this year, I would have to add the completely patched G3 to the timeless mix also. With its huge world and numerous plots, its far more convoluted than the other two. But just as atmospheric and just as immersive.

It boggles my mind that no one has really matched the brilliance of the early Gothic games. (sadly not even PB) Skyrim comes close. The early Gothic place you in the game world and you are there. For example, gaming wise, the only thing scarier than walking in a deep dark forest and hearing (not seeing) a blade being unsheathed, are the alien movies - and they ain't RPGs. So they don't count.

Just thinking about it now. After I finish a couple of these indie games I'm working on, I think I will play the modded Gothic 1. It's been about 5 years since I played the original game, so the modded version is going to be a new kind of fun.

It really is quite odd that it hasn't been matched.

I do know that PB put an incredible amount of effort into G1, as it was their first title and so on. I think the development time was something along the lines of 4-5 years actually, during which they also created the engine that was used in Gothic 1, Gothic 2 and NotR.

Still, you'd think it would be possible to beat it 15 years later.

Unmatched indeed, and the first three installments (yes, even G3) are among my favorite games.

I would really like to do a replay too, but I'm running far behind on my backlog. :-/

I'm always envious whenever I see people playing these games for the first time. I wish I could live again the excitement and amazement I had when first playing. You never forget your first death from a random mob, or going to deep in some cave, or learning how to cheese human NPCs etc.

Fun times are ahead of you lads.

Gothic had one of the bigger impacts on me of any game that I've played recently. I vividly remember every detail of it, whereas a game like Risen 2, which I played around the same time, I've forgotten quite a lot of details. Gothic still remains heavily in my mind. Visiting the camps for the first time, choosing which faction to side with, working my way up the ranks and being rewarded for it. What a fantastic experience that was. I'd rate it more like a 9 rather than a 7 as I initially did.

I think my next game will be Gothic 2. Also for the first time :)

Gothic had one of the bigger impacts on me of any game that I've played recently. I vividly remember every detail of it, whereas a game like Risen 2, which I played around the same time, I've forgotten quite a lot of details. Gothic still remains heavily in my mind. Visiting the camps for the first time, choosing which faction to side with, working my way up the ranks and being rewarded for it. What a fantastic experience that was. I'd rate it more like a 9 rather than a 7 as I initially did.

I think my next game will be Gothic 2. Also for the first time :)

In my entire life there have been only 2 games that upon finishing, I said to myself this was the best game I have ever played. Gothic was not one of them. The two games were No One Lives Forever and X-Com (1).

However, the next RPG I played (?) seemed so bland and gamey. And approximately two RPGs later, my mind finally came to the conclusion that Gothic 2 (the one I played first) was the best game playing experience I ever had. Subsequently, G2 has been played 4 times (as late as last year) and G3 has been played three times (as late as this year).

The point I'm taking so long to get to is that I too had it at a lower rating when I finished the game. But now, it is my preferred type of gaming experience and no one has yet matched it.

The point I'm taking so long to get to is that I too had it at a lower rating when I finished the game. But now, it is my preferred type of gaming experience and no one has yet matched it.

Yep, that's exactly how I feel. Looking back on it now, I realize it was an unmatched experience from top to bottom, and one that sadly is not duplicated in today's gaming environment. (Although the Risen series are damn fine RPG experiences as well.)

I'm sure G2 will blow me away as well. But G1 is excellent and certainly now one of my favorite game experiences in the RPG realm.

I can now better appreciate and understand why people rate the Gothic series so high. In terms of open-world, action-oriented RPGs, Gothic is unmatched.

Fluent you should play with the expansion… It adds a lot to the game…

Which expansion? I already finished Gothic 1 but I haven't started G2 yet. I do have G2: Gold, so that should be all I need, right?

Guys stop persuading Fluent into PC games!
He's onto consoles currently. :evilgrin:

Back
Top Bottom