HoMM 5 - Tribes of the East Review @ Gamespot

magerette

Hedgewitch
Gamespot has posted their review of Nival's standalone expansion pack to HoMM5, Tribes of the East, rating it at 5.5:
The three campaigns carry over from last year's Hammers of Fate expansion. You start by guiding an orcish rebellion with the Stronghold in a single mission, move on to the Necropolis faction, then to the Academy, and finally wrap up back with the orcs. Influence from the Dark Messiah of Might & Magic action game can be seen throughout the campaigns, especially in the Necropolis section, which revives that game's big baddie, the necromancer Arantir. Thankfully, you don't have to have any familiarity with Dark Messiah to understand what's going on here.
There are some new creatures, some new spells, some new sets of magical artifacts, and a revamped promotion scheme that provides alternate upgrades for units (though most aren't exactly imaginative). There are also a handful of new multiplayer and scenario maps, but you'd really have a tough time telling the new stuff from the old without the feature list sitting in front of you. The look and sound of the expansion seem to be exactly the same as in the original Heroes, too. Yet with all that said, there remains something in this formula that is still extremely addictive. Even with the repetitions forced on you by the harder missions and the same-old, same-old overall design, it's hard to stop playing...at least if you're a Heroes V fan who hasn't gotten enough yet.
More information.

5.5? As a heroes fan Im starting to get embarrased for autobuying all these games.

I'm fan of Heroes too. I buy them without reading reviews. 5,5 - upps? But user score is higher: 8,1. Anyway I think I'll have a lot of fun as always.
" Extremely difficult (Yes!)" - and gamespot gave minus because of that? For me this is advantage.

One of their gripes in this review was that the game was too difficult. That to me is actually a good sign, because I thought Hammers of Fate had been nerfed to the point of boredom in some campaigns. It made me think I might buy this one someday, which i hadn't planned on doing. I'll probably play the demo first, though. :)

I've played the demos for HOMM V and the Tribes expansion, and the Tribes stuff was a lot harder I noticed.

I'll be watching out for the full set of this and pick it up then.

Some people don't get it, an expansion is to improve the original experience, add new content and fix what does not work. In these respects ToE has performed VERY well.
Difficult, what a crybaby. Play it on easy :p

I read it carefully and I can tell that he had not played much the previous titles. There may be some trial and error but that's if you want to press your luck. You are afraid of big stacks, wait for later when you have a good army. The whole orc campaign is building army and charging to the enemy towns - period. Necro campaign is trickier but when you can summon a phoenix, puppet enemies, regain mana and raise your troops what is your problem? Yes you will face some tough enemies but you can return back and get more army, the specials should give you an edge already.

What is someone really looking for in a campaign anyway? A cakewalk where everything is offered to you in a silver plate? In that respect shadow of death SUCKS because it had some hard missions. He's just biased and does not even consider that some may like this.

So far I have played the campaigns up to the first mission of academy. The game is better balanced(though I dislike flaming arrows being widely available), necro got nerfed, inferno and haven got an easier earlygame which is basically what should be done.
The campaign is intriguing and this time around it's worth paying attention to the storyline. The maps are also better designed and I like the challenge they offer.
Considering these the game was only improved and not in negligible parts - it has a freshness about it.

What is someone really looking for in a campaign anyway? A cakewalk where everything is offered to you in a silver plate? In that respect shadow of death SUCKS because it had some hard missions. He's just biased and does not even consider that some may like this.

I agree, Apo. HoMM campaigns have never been cakewalks. I thought Shadow of Death had *lots* of hard missions. You had to really think about your choices each turn, your strategy, whether you should go all out to conquer stacks and get resources for improvements or conserve your troops like crazy and spend everything just trying to get enough units together to take out the AI before it came for you first. If you made the wrong choice, you got the screen with the Headsman's Axe. :)

I'm just twisted enough to like stuff like that. ;) If this expansion has the old HoMM flavor back, I'll definitely be adding it to my collection.

Good to know :) One thing I do not like in the last campaign is that Zehir has a different voice actor, too bad because I liked the old one. HoF did the same for secondary characters but it just seems odd for a protagonist.

I'll be watching out for the full set of this and pick it up then.
You can already, it's called HV Gold Edition.

Or you can get HoMM - The Complete Collection, which will give you every game from H1 to Tribes, minus the Chronicles.

Back
Top Bottom