HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The first episode of the new game by Dark Gaia Studios:
Heroes of Legionwood: Age of Darkness
is out now:
Heroes of Legionwood: Age of Darkness is a fantasy RPG in the style of the classics from the early 90s. Set in a dark, desperate world on the brink of annihilation by an otherworldly horror known only as "The Darkness", it combines elements of both J-RPGs and Western RPG classics — it's like someone took parts of Final Fantasy and merged them into Baldur's Gate.

Age of Darkness is the first episode in a planned trilogy, but it is also designed to be played as a stand-alone game, containing ~10 hours of gameplay and an ending that (while setting things up for the next game) also provides closure.

It has been 100 years since the world ended. Human civilization has been devastated by a malevolent force known only as the Darkness and only the last remnants of humanity remain. Playing the role of Locke, a young adventurer determined to save his people, you'll discover a world where your choices have consequences and every victory comes with a price. Can you stop the Darkness, or will you perish along with the rest of society, never to be heard from again?
  • 10+ hours of non-linear RPG gameplay.
  • Turn based combat with three different difficulty levels.
  • Dynamic companions who react to your decisions.
  • Branching choices with far reaching consequences.
More information.

I decided to check out the first episode, which is free to play, and played about 12 hours of it. Being unable to save anywhere was an interesting design decision, and while it made some dungeons more interesting, it made others extremely annoying.
Otherwise I found it to be on the level of a lot of other commercial RPGMaker games, though there is a lot of freedom in character development, as the game gives pretty much a classless system. I would have prefered though if I had to make more choices in choosing skills. I'm going to pass the sequels for now, There are too many good games in my library.

No saves? Or is that just for the demo? If the entire game is like that, then it's not for me, then.

I can't speak for this part. In the first part you can only save in an inn, on the world map, or in fixed points in dungeons. The fix points were sometimes distributed fairly, and sometimes not.

Unfairly distributed save spots? Right up my alley! :D

I wish Elminage Gothic would have added save spots to the game. Ah, well. I enjoy that sort of risk/reward challenge in RPGs. I'm especially interested in Bard's Tale IV and can't wait to see the hardcore options they offer for that game. Apparently, the game difficulty will be modular with hardcore options you can choose. Should be great. =)

10+ hours is already a feat nowadays to mention in a press release?
Oh, boy, how low have we fallen…

Back
Top Bottom