Sovereign - New Game Update

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Forum member Charles-cgr sent us news about a new update he posted for his RPG game Sovereign / Underworld on his website called Olderbytes.

Arena Combat

It is high time for a new update. It’s been almost a year!

I’ve been working on three things.

- The new engine for Sovereign.

- A rebuild of Underworld in the new engine.

- A smaller project called Iron Ruler. It is a turn based strategy board-game except there’s no board since it’s a computer game.

This update is about the new combat that will be featured in both Sovereign and the upcoming Underworld update.

Underworld Gold Plus… I’m running out of suffixes and it is getting a bit ridiculous…

Anyway…

Arena combat with Ice Bolt spell effect (Click for full size)

If you are familiar with previous versions of Underworld, you’ll notice it’s changed quite a bit. Full screen, no fixed GUI, combat log appears in real time, partyand mobs are represented by portraits, out-of-melee combattants are darkened, the arena pic is used as background (only in arena fights), all spells are illustrated with a fading effect (both combat and non-combat), all options are represented by an icon (but keyboard shortcuts remain functional and you’ll be able to display them).

The skull at the bottom right still triggers autofight for quick resolution of easy battles (or suicide).

Spell casting has changed as well:

Spell book with level two priest spells (Click to enlarge).

That’s it for today. There’s more to show, tons of images, new modules (like crafting), new character creation… Unfortunately I still can’t announce a reliable release date. Everything seems to take twice as long as initially expected. But I’ll try to post updates much more often.
More information.

Sovereign is looking good but I wish I could cast a spell on Charles and make him stop doing updates to Underworld.

He reminds me of this woman in my writing group that has been working on the same novel for 10 years. It's been finished 2 times.And now this third version has vampires (yes), thrown into the narrative. She's a good writer and could have had 4 novels under her belt by now.

Somehow didn’t see this game before. Looks quite cool. Maybe with the release of the new engine I should give it a try, though I have not seen an estimated timeframe for that. Would also like to get it on steam, where it’s in the greenlight programm.
So, if you want to bring it to steam, vote here ;)
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=93144364

Yes please do ;)

@Dajjer all present updates to Underworld are actually modules built for Sovereign so the cup is half full right?

At least that's what I keep telling myself :)

Wow, the graphical improvements are quite impressive!

Keep up the good work, Charles.

I liked Underworld, so I'm looking forward to the new one. I would also say: focus on the new game. While you might sell some more copies of Underworld, those of us who actually have it would prefer a new game.

Thanks all. :)

Yes I'm focusing on Sovereign. Porting Underworld specifically is but a small part of the overall workload and it even makes it easier at times to have existing content to work with when (re)building a new feature. I had to move on to the latest version of Game Maker (Studio) anyway and that alone meant it had to be rewritten. But all that engine work is done with Sovereign in mind.

Well, pretty much depends on how well it goes with steam. If there is a steam release for Underworld I guess a new engine would help extremely to push these sales. And that would help advertise the release of Sovereign as well.

I would actually like to replay Underworld in the new engine before Sovereign, but hopefully Sovereign wont be to long afterwards! :)

Daniel.

I liked Underworld, so I'm looking forward to the new one. I would also say: focus on the new game. While you might sell some more copies of Underworld, those of us who actually have it would prefer a new game.

That's what I said. I like his games and would have purchased a few of them from him if he had made sequels instead of updates . . . .

But I'm just a grump gamer who don't know squat , , :raincloud:

Hey don't take it so hard :)

Back
Top Bottom