Starpoint Gemini 2 - Interview @ AGR

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
AGR interviews Little Green Man Games to get information about Starpoint Gemini 2.

(AGR) - After completing the original game and releasing it to the public, what do you think was the biggest flaw in the game that either yourselves or others spotted and complained about the most?

(Little Green Man Games) - Well, I think there were two major mistakes. First was not going to full 3D immediately. That was considered a serious flaw by a vast majority of players. Second was the voiceover. In the first English version, we did most of them ourselves, and just proved that professional actors exist for a good reason. Starpoint Gemini was our first “full sized” title and we had great ideas for the game. Some of those ideas weren’t followed up properly due to our misjudgment of current market stance, while others simply fell to the fact we had quite a limited budget.

(AGR) -
What are the main things you’ve done differently when it came to creating the sequel to Starpoint Gemini?

(Little Green Man Games) - Our first game wasn’t a high budget game and many people were turned down by that fact alone. However, a good number of players gave our game a real chance and eventually enjoyed it. They were mostly fans of the genre, and they were of tremendous help as we fixed numerous glitches and upgraded gameplay to the best of our ability. Still, we felt a debt to those players and to ourselves, for not achieving the level we strived to. For that reason, Starpoint Gemini 2 was crafted to answer many of the demands set by players. Space, movement, camera and combat are now in full 3D. Graphics is heavily upgraded and now use DirectX 11. In addition, our game engine now relies on streaming technology, and that eliminates loading points between dozens of sectors in the game. Lastly, combat and action is now less automatic and more in the hands of players. All of the other elements are still here but much more refined and user-friendly.
More information.

Their first major mistake was the graphics? I love my graphics but that's just not the case. They had some heavy gameplay issues in there, like massively unbalanced missions.

I thought it had a lot of potential. No complaints on the graphics but getting ships was a bit too easy and I didn't like the balance on the shields. After modding it to my taste, the only complaint I had left was there was nothing much to do outside the main mission as I didn't need the money anymore. Still liked it enough to lok forward to a 2nd one though

I bought the Early Access Alpha version and it looks and feels very very promising! They've expanded on the successful freelancer formula and added RPG elements like experience levels, skills, activatable equipment and are planning to add companion style wingmen and deployable fighter craft :D
Most of the stuff isn't in the Alpha yet so we'll have to wait and see how it turns out.

Back
Top Bottom