Which Genre Has the Worst Clones?

Which Genre Has the Worst Clones?

• Action RPG - Please, not another one...

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • FPS - Hello, WWII is Over

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • MMORPG - Some things are Not addictive.

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • RTS - 3 cans of Red Bull just isn't enough

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Sims & Builders - Too much realism is unrealistic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Adventure/Platformers - Just not adventurous enough

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Very few games manage to innovate anymore except if they're several years old :
-The Settlers up until IV, Anno series, and maybe a few more have different sorts of gameplay, but otherwise it's exactly the same as AoE for me. Maybe AoE cloned from some other game, but I'm not aware of that. Most games resemble it terribly though.

I'd put the Anno series more into the sims category than RTS, really. Same with Settlers. Those games have, I think, more in common with the city builder genre than RTS. Settlers sometimes goes back and forth, depending on the iteration.
The best RTS I've ever played is Knights Of Honour. It's real-time (with speed controls) and spans all of medieval Europe. But it's not the RTS formula, it's more like a real-time Medieval Total War mixed with a bit of Civilization.
The key to it working is the pacing and lack of build/mob/repeat requirements and addition of more, well, strategy. Diplomacy, espionage and sound planning are what matter most.

I could definitely recommend Supreme Commander or Command and Conquer 3, both are recent great games in that genre, and are quite different from each other as far as gameplay is concerned.

Okay, thanks, I'll keep that in mind. :)

Besides, today I came across an old copy of Arcanum on kind of a flea market ... it definitively has standing "Action-RPG" standing on it !!! O_O

(I mean printed on the original package by Sierra.)

Never noticed before ...

That's funny, Alrik. :) I can only imagine how disappointed a true Diablo fan would be if he bought that game for combat! I pulled out my copy--which is a reissue--and it doesn't have any genre description --just a small-print quote from PC Zone magazine saying "..it deserves the attention of serious RPG fans.." Marketing, marketing...all about the marketing...

So far the FPS genre is hanging on to a slim lead. I think the whole things is hampered by the fact that most people don't play all those genres-except maybe Mike and he opted to condemn them all equally. :p

I would support an option, which isn't in the list:

Console games - hello, puberty is over.
You are lumping every console game in a single category, despite many of them being objectively among the best games ever?

Hello, time to get a clue!??!

But even still - that is like saying 'PC games ... because they all use keyboards and stuff ... zomg, luzer clones!'

You missed out rpgs from the list.

You missed out rpgs from the list.

I debated over that one, woges, but I couldn't think of any rpgs that had specific clones--like a game that completely copied Baldur's Gate unless you think Icewind Dale might be a BG clone? I suppose you could say things like the version of Bard's Tale released recently was a clone of the original...dunno. I just decided to go with action rpgs as they are kind of where the rpg wannabes seem to end up.

Do you have any examples in mind?

"If there is a genre, you can be sure they will make crappy clones"

QFT.

What we need is stuff that doesn't fit into any category. More genre mixing, not less. And more than that, too.

As far as I see there are less than a dozen titles that fall straight into the RTS genre that are worth noting - among them the first two Age of Empires, the first StarCraft, the second and third Warcrafts, the C&C series before C&C Generals and Warlords Battlecry series.

Arma, you seriously didn't like C&C 3? How come?

Also, Supreme Commander is an excellent RTS game, with the only downside I can think of being the high system requirements.

That's funny, Alrik. :) I can only imagine how disappointed a true Diablo fan would be if he bought that game for combat!

Well, I have to admit that in a positive way an action-RPG lover could be "tricked" into playing non-action ones ... ;)

But I don't know. I fear I have far too many clichés in my head ... ;)

Gave it a couple days' pondering, and I'm going with RTS. After Warcraft, C&C, and AoE (which I'm calling the pillars of RTS), there were tons of knockoffs that added nothing to the genre and didn't do the basics as well. Add in that the "Big 3" each spawned enough sequels to sink a battleship (even though those 3 did a fairly good job with most of their sequels), and you've got a genre mired in a whole lot of "meh".

Back
Top Bottom