Daggerfall - New Tools For Unity

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Rock, Paper, Shotgun published an interesting article this weekend about some new tool that allow you to port Daggerfall to the Unity Engine. Here is a video of the tools.

Looks and sounds exciting here is a desription of Daggerfall Tools for Unity.

Daggerfall Tools for Unity is a code asset which acts as a bridge between Daggerfall’s binary data files and Unity3D. It consists of a mature API for opening and converting almost all of Daggerfall’s content files – plus a set of editor windows, example classes, and prefabs for quickly converting Daggerfall’s environments into fully functional Unity scenes.

The underlying API, called DaggerfallConnect, is a battle-tested C# library that has been under development since 2009. This library is already used by content exploring tools with thousands of downloads and has been retooled specifically for use inside Unity. Full source code is included for everything related to Daggerfall.

Accompanying the API is a suite of components and editor windows to interface between Daggerfall’s files and Unity. You can import any mesh, block layout, city, building interior, or dungeon with a single click. There are dozens of options to control how content is imported into Unity, using either the editor or directly from code.

Everything you can import with the editor can also be imported fully procedurally at run-time, allowing you to build vast worlds out of Daggerfall’s content and extend however you like with Unity’s broad feature-set.
More information.

Is this considered the largest world single player RPG ever created? Ive heard this before but never played this myself. I got in to gaming later and was hoping I would see some sort of update to this game before I tried it. I know there is something going on with XL but not sure if that has been cancelled or not.

I've never played anything bigger, but 90% of the game is generated as you walk. Daggerfall has 50-60 locations that are always the same, but it was an amazing game for its time. I'm not sure if it is something that I could go back to though....

Is this considered the largest world single player RPG ever created?

Daggerfall is the largest game with a finite map regardless of game category. The biggest MMO (LoTRO) isn't quite half its size.

The only games that beat it are games that have infinite maps generation like Minecraft or flying/space sims that are to scale. Daggerfall is about the size of England.

According to the site, it's still in the "early stages" of development.

Meh... let me know when it's finished or at least close before I start getting excited.

When they redo daggerfall I will get really excited

It's been a while, but I'm not sure how much size matters if it's basically all the same. In fact the size was a complete waste, since you just kept seeing the same dungeons constantly respawning. If they would have focused on the main story and quests, made the world 50% smaller it would have made a much better game.

It was an experiment which was never repeated because it sucked. I've never like constantly respawning monsters, much less constantly respawning dungeons and monsters in one package, every 10 feet on the world map. :p

I'm pretty sure EQ 1 dwarves LoTRO in sheer size. I think Eve would win largest game of all time simply because....ya know, they got....space. And even just one of those ships is hella huge. SP game, I cannot think of another that comes close to the size of Daggerfall. That game was pure joy just to simply romp around, back in the day.

Since my last play got killed by a save file bug, I'm wondering about the stability of this… BTW, all the dungeons are not the same. They are randomized from re-used blocks and have the craziest layouts I've ever played. Loved it.

Last edited:
I would live to dive into this someday. Hopefully this works and it becomes stable and all that. :)

Still my favorite Elder Scrolls game.. nothing has EVER hooked me the way Daggerfall did. If they remake the entire game in a new engine, I'm there!

Back
Top Bottom