KoA: Reckoning - OXM Review: 8/10

Doesn't really matter what a bunch of reviewers think. They all tend to be terrible at scoring and reviewing games. It really only matters what the players think and whether the game is actually good or not. Not what a bunch of people who get paid by the gaming companies to review their games think.

Well, that's why I prefaced my bit of news with "for what it's worth".... :( sheesh

Speaking of loot, there's just way too much. I don't like going into my inventory every few minutes because I got better loot. When I find something cool I don't really care because I know in two more minutes I'll find something better. It kills some of the exploration for me because why go off to find cool loot when I know i'll get more than I could every want just sticking to the path.

Other than that I think there's a pretty good game here. The combat, quests and non combat skills all seemed decent and the world is open enough.

I've preordered the game. It will be a nice contrast to skyrim. When I'm done being immersed in skyrim and can get my arcade action on with koa.

You do know you can compare and equip new items directly from the loot screen, right? I thought that the loot upgrade treadmill was well done and very efficient.

Keep in mind, too, that loot-driven games like this will typically give you better stuff at a brisk pace early on, but then level out after a while. Ian Frazier has as much admitted that the loot system was practically stolen from Titan Quest (where he was a level designer), and that game did loot very well, I thought...

You do know you can compare and equip new items directly from the loot screen, right? I thought that the loot upgrade treadmill was well done and very efficient.

Keep in mind, too, that loot-driven games like this will typically give you better stuff at a brisk pace early on, but then level out after a while. Ian Frazier has as much admitted that the loot system was practically stolen from Titan Quest (where he was a level designer), and that game did loot very well, I thought…

Agreed, Titan Quest's loot system was sweet.

There are up to 1000 unique items/armour and weapon sets too... should be a ripper for a loot hound like myself (I purposefully ocd on that stuff :) )

Unless you have very high FPS combat skills (or I’m very bad at it) I’m not sure we’re talking about the same Skyrim. I’m playing the game at Master difficulty (No mods installed - Level 42 – nearly 100 hours of playing), but still some enemies can take me down with two arrow hit. I can’t charge some Draugirs with my sword and shield (even with the shield spell buff) because some of them can kill me with one FusDoRah. So I have to use sneak and ranged abilities a lot. Not that I complaning, I love hard RPGs. But I find the difficulty challenging and fun in Skyrim. IMHO Skyrim has some shortcomings in some areas (like statistic world) but not on combat and difficulty.

As for the KoA, I think review scores are pretty good considering it’s a new IP and a new studio. But, personally I don’t credit much to the reviews of web sites other than RPGWatch, Gamebanshee and RPGCodex.

Well, so you haven't power leveled enchanting and smithing, obviously? ;) And neither have I.

Nope. :) I don't like power leveling. I don't use any skill teacher or any leveling exploit. I increase my skills just from role playing activities. Actually I have spent my perks to generally non-combat skills to increase the difficulty.

After 100 hours combat is still challenging and fun. And it's rare thing nowadays for most games.

Yes, on hard in Skyrim an arrow or 3 will most certainly kill you, and quickly at that. If you sneak around, however, more times than not YOU'LL be doing the sniping, not the mobs! I'd say 9 time out of 10 I get close enough to knife the enemy, and if they even start to flinch at range I'll have 3-5 arrows in their face before they can react.

-Carn

Back
Top Bottom