The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

In DDO ALWAYS take Undead as your first favoured enemy. In the low to mid level quests you'll face more of them than anything else.

I take them as the favoured enemy almost naturally. In every (A)D&D game.

So now I finished that jungle quest from House Jorasco this today … And taking a Cleric with me was *definitively* a good thing !

I didn't take the "quest bounty" yet, because I just can't decide between +7 search glasses (level 7), and a Mithral (?) chain mail. Right now, I'm leaning towards the chain mail.

And I was glad I had taken a special weapon with me I had once taken from the Guild Chest …

And I mean a Kopesh with a mighty giant bane …

And last for this evening here : THe DDO Wiki has such a list of monsters filed under "game mechanics". You can use they keyword "monster" for searching.

2 outsides on elite still to run plus Miseryx3.
Update - finished the outside elites. Not going to do Misery without an opener. I just can't see myself running that garbage quest 3 times. Once more will be punishment enough. Went to the harbor and knocked out a couple quickies, which got my Coin Lords tier.

Sat on level 5 because I wanted to see what color the bubbles turned after blue. They stay blue! What a load of crap. Said bad words and picked up my level.

If you'd given me a holler I would have come and opened it for you; you know I'm available on Skype nearly 24/7!!

What bubbles ?

What bubbles ?
Lower right corner, the "dots" that turn purple as you gain ranks. When you reach a level, all 5 "dots" turn blue. I heard someone (jm, I think) call them bubbles once and the term stuck with me.

Okay, I saw them as "points". ;)

Thick points. ;)

I ran with Vault of Night on epic yesterday and got my epic raid token and Kundarak delving boots. It was fun to kill Velah on epic. On elite she has 25.000 hp, but on epic she has 335.000 hp. Her breath weapon does over 1100 damage so you have to know when to hide behind the rock.

It was less difficult than I imagined so maybe I will use my level 20 toons to try some epic quests. This is something we can try as well with our level 20 toons when we get bored with the low level ones.

In DDO ALWAYS take Undead as your first favoured enemy. In the low to mid level quests you'll face more of them than anything else.
Agreed. Wouldii took goblinoid next (actually used my free feat swap to change it to constructs later in the game), then elementals, then giants, then evil outsiders. Going undead/elementals/giants/evil outsiders/constructs matches up fairly well with what you'll be fighting most at the time without it becoming wasted later in the game.

Thanks for our advice. I still have one feat available for swapping.
What do you think is the most important one after undeads ?

Edit : Didn't know that : FRom the Festivult announcement : http://www.ddo.com/us/gameinfo/1810

Gear up for Winter Bonus weeks! +1 Loot Bonus, 20% XP Boost, and + 20% Guild Renown!
December 19th-January 2nd!

Last edited:
You'll face a lot of goblinoids in that 3-7 range, but not so much later, so I'd probably skip that in favor of the elementals. My list in the previous post was "as taken", so undead at level 1, elementals at level 5, giants at level 10, evil outsiders at level 15, and constructs at level 20.

Ah, thanks.

Somehow I just didn't know what to do, so I quit this session (perhaps I should have said "good bye" properly, but I thought that everyone had enough things to do so I didn't want to disturb everyone too much).

The Bottle of Air is a nice thing … I wonder how it looks like ? - Someone wanted to sell it.

I remembered that when I entered the lighthouse quest, I was a bit disappointed. It didn't have anything to do with the lighthouse building as such.

And here is my proof that I did do the whole jumping towards the tavern (I did not dare to jump back, however) :

Attachments

• ScreenShot00108.jpg
    ScreenShot00108.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 27
  • ScreenShot00107.jpg
    ScreenShot00107.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 27
You'll face a lot of goblinoids in that 3-7 range, but not so much later, so I'd probably skip that in favor of the elementals. My list in the previous post was "as taken", so undead at level 1, elementals at level 5, giants at level 10, evil outsiders at level 15, and constructs at level 20.

This list is pretty much spot on; Rangers have a bit lower dps than Fighters or Barbarians, so you want the extra help against foes you'll find constantly at 20. In the raids list, a whopping 6 of them have an Evil Outsider of one sort or another. Elementals are scattered throughout the game, and also cannot be critted, you face constructs in four raids, as well as the portals in the Shroud, and pillars in VoN.

Giants and Undead can be optional though, as there are only two low-level raids (Reaver's Fate and Tempest's Spine) have Giant bosses, and the only high-level quest with any undead worth speaking of is Stealer of Souls (a lich) or Epic Wizard King (another lich), with the perpetually bugged, annoying to flag for, and no one actually runs anyway Abbot raid. Undead is invaluable while leveling however.

With a couple of packs and a raid featuring Abberations, that might make a good swap later; I believe Fireflash did so. She was short one being an Exploiter build (18/1/1 that could handle traps, dps roles, and was very survivable). However the list was largely identical: Evil Outsiders, Constructs, Elementals, and Abberrations. I don't know if two favored enemy bonuses stack, so I don't know if taking Lawful Outsiders would stack with Evil Outsiders (Devils are Lawful Evil), or Chaotic (Demons, like Mariliths, are Chaotic Evil). I doubt they do.

Thanks for your advice. I think I'll put a few points into m "favoured enemy" feats anyway.

with the perpetually bugged, annoying to flag for, and no one actually runs anyway Abbot raid.

They seem to have done a few things with update 12 Patch 2 :

Items
Existing cookie jars should now contain the new cookies properly.
There are now recipes to turn in old Stormreaver and Black Abbot raid loot items to grant them the "upgradeable" effect, which will allow them to be upgraded with Seals from the Hard/Elite difficulty modes of those raids.
Three items from the Black Abbot raid (Breeze, Enduring Conviction, and Unwavering Ardency) were only appearing in upgradeable form on Normal difficulty. Now the upgradeable versions are available on Hard and Elite as well.
The Tinker's Finesse set bonus now correctly grants the wearer True Seeing.

By the way, days ago I found a "points card" in a Gamestop shop here ... Personally, I found the price of 20 Euros for I think it was 1800 points a bit hefty - but what bugged me most was that there was none available for let's say 10 Euros or even less - I have seen points (or whatever) cards for other online games there for 10 and in a few rare cases even for 5 Euros, if I remember correctly ! (I'm sure for 10 Euros.) I wondered why Turbine doesn't do them for 10 Euros, or less, too ?

To Corwin and everyone else having trouble with jumping ( ;) ) : THe arrival of the Festivult Jester is imho THE ideal occation to train jumping ! Take the location in House/Enclave Kundarak first, since this is imho the far easiest "training way", second House/Enclave Phiarlan (I always call it "Phiarlain"), this I think House/Enclave Deneith (I didn't manage to jump onto the first block), and the path in the Harbour is the masterpiece, imho !

Kundarak is ideal becaue you don't fall too deep. If you fall down in the Harbor, make sure to direct your fall into the water ! - This way you don't lose many health points or even nothing at all.
If necessary, use an item with "Feather Fall" bound to it. I think I have a pair of arm armor bracelets having it, if someone needs it.

And last : What's the use of those ... books ? tomes ? you can get if you trade-in dragonshards ? I mean in the "crafting halls" at the two vendors.

This list is pretty much spot on; Rangers have a bit lower dps than Fighters or Barbarians, so you want the extra help against foes you'll find constantly at 20. In the raids list, a whopping 6 of them have an Evil Outsider of one sort or another. Elementals are scattered throughout the game, and also cannot be critted, you face constructs in four raids, as well as the portals in the Shroud, and pillars in VoN.

Giants and Undead can be optional though, as there are only two low-level raids (Reaver's Fate and Tempest's Spine) have Giant bosses, and the only high-level quest with any undead worth speaking of is Stealer of Souls (a lich) or Epic Wizard King (another lich), with the perpetually bugged, annoying to flag for, and no one actually runs anyway Abbot raid. Undead is invaluable while leveling however.

With a couple of packs and a raid featuring Abberations, that might make a good swap later; I believe Fireflash did so. She was short one being an Exploiter build (18/1/1 that could handle traps, dps roles, and was very survivable). However the list was largely identical: Evil Outsiders, Constructs, Elementals, and Abberrations. I don't know if two favored enemy bonuses stack, so I don't know if taking Lawful Outsiders would stack with Evil Outsiders (Devils are Lawful Evil), or Chaotic (Demons, like Mariliths, are Chaotic Evil). I doubt they do.
You always think in terms of raids… ;)

Taking giants picks up trolls and ogres and you see those kinds of critters in every worthwhile quest pack from level 7 to level 14 (other than the desert). It's a bang-for-the-buck choice, much like undead.

The level 20 choice was a toss-up between constructs and aberrations, to me. There are a lot more constructs to kill, but there are more opportunities to get gear boosts against constructs (smiting, greater banes) and beholders really suuuuuck. Again, I went for most opponents (or, more accurately, will go for).

I seem to remember looking at my damage once and finding that "double favored" did not stack, but I don't remember what kind of critter I was fighting where that would have applied.

Last edited:
You always think in terms of raids… ;)

Taking giants picks up trolls and ogres and you see those kinds of critters in every worthwhile quest pack from level 7 to level 14 (other than the desert). It's a bang-for-the-buck choice, much like undead.

The level 20 choice was a toss-up between constructs and aberrations, to me. There are a lot more constructs to kill, but there are more opportunities to get gear boosts against constructs (smiting, greater banes) and beholders really suuuuuck. Again, I went for most opponents (or, more accurately, will go for).

I seem to remember looking at my damage once and finding that "double favored" did not stack, but I don't remember what kind of critter I was fighting where that would have applied.

I think in terms of raids, because largely that is where the most difficult foes reside. Comparing Elite DQ to Necro III or IV regular quests, it's not contest which is more difficult... and which has greater rewards.

Beholders, at least in small numbers, are easy for a Ranger; Manyshot them down. Most other abberations are easy to bring down in melee. Constructs cannot be critted, which means every bit of damage helps. They're also common from 8 on up. Giant is a good one, since you fight Trolls all the way to Shavarath. I had forgotten that one. For that matter, looking at my build sheet, I took Giants as well, and not elementals! Not 100% certain any more.

Also, Banishers work against Beholders, as they are other-planar entities. There's a Greater Bane for everything up to and including Halflings, so you can get GAB as well.

I'm unfamiliar with this manyshot bow thing you speak of. Does it give glancing blows? ;)

edit- speaking of greater bane, I saw on the wiki a mention of a new bane group, humanoid, which covers all sorts of stuff. That would be extremely useful, me thinks. Also, we were talking about a rumored new race. The wiki has a favored enemy group for gnomes, with a note that they're not implemented yet. Gnomes would certainly be an easy one to drop in since they could recycle the halfling animations.

There definitively is a bane against humans out there. I've seen it in the receipes list in the crafting hall(s).

What there is also out there i a bane against "monstrous humanoids" - but there are too few of that kind, imho.

Here is a general list of monsters : http://ddowiki.com/page/Monster_Information/Basic
Here is a short list containing links : http://ddowiki.com/page/Monsters
List of EVERYTHING (apparently) : http://ddowiki.com/page/Monsters_by_type_and_race
And is an entry about the keyword "bane" : http://ddowiki.com/page/Bane_(weapon)

Besides, I also already noted that constructs are quite hard to defeat.

Edit : "Manyshot" could be this : http://ddowiki.com/page/Manyshot

We were told we were getting a new race this year, but since we're just a couple of weeks from the end of the year, I doubt we will see one. Maybe U13 will bring one in February.

I have a hard time seeing Gnomes as being added; while a core 3.5e and Eberron race, they are not exciting at all, and I highly doubt that Turbine could sell Gnomes off on anyone. Shifters, maybe, Aasamir and Tieflings, definitely. Gnomes? No. I also highly doubt they'll add another F2P race either.

Especially Tieflings, since players are already well familiar with them from the Carnival, Chronoscope, Vale, and Shavarath.

Aasamir - Celestial Human Hybrids. +2 WIS, CHA, IIRC, though it's an LA1 race as well. Resistance 5 to Acid, Cold, and Electric damage.

Tiefling - Infernal Human Hybrids. +2 DEX, INT, -2 CHA. Resistance to Fire, Electric, and Cold 5. Also LA1 race.

Shifter - Were-human type race, core Eberron. Not SRD.

We were told we were getting a new race this year, but since we're just a couple of weeks from the end of the year, I doubt we will see one. Maybe U13 will bring one in February.

Well ... December 24th-26th isn't here yet ... ;)

Tieflings ... I have no idea what these races are, but Tieflings ... I think in PS:T there was one available as a party member, no ? Annah was her name, I think.

Back
Top Bottom