Votes: 39 49.4%
  • It was OK

Votes: 27 34.2%
  • Not very good

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • A terrible year

Votes: 3 3.8%

• Total voters
MotB, The Witcher, Stalker, Two Worlds, Genforge 4, ca. 10 NWN1 mods - it was a great year for me

Haven't played Witcher and waiting for a NWN2+MotB combo box. I didn't have the hardware to run NWN2 on release day, but I probably wouldn't have bought it then anyway even though I got a lot of mileage out of NWN1. As for the Witcher, in spite of glowing reviews from people I trust, I have little enthusiasm for the game at the moment, mostly because I have zero interest in action-RPGs these days.

The Witcher is no more action-rpg than Gothic was imho. There is a great deal of questing, and in non-combative ways too.

I think it was a wonderful year for PC gaming in general and RPG's in specific. Not perfect, but pretty good!

The Witcher is no more action-rpg than Gothic was imho. There is a great deal of questing, and in non-combative ways too.

Agreed, it's an action rpg only in so far as the combat is done well, combat is a fairly small part of the game though.

Worst year ever. Maybe it's time to give up gaming, sell my computer and start to earn money as a gigolo getting entertainment through cheap street drugs. At least then I can die in happiness in ignorance beneath the shadow of what gaming used to be, sharing fluids with elder ladies that treat my body like a soulless object. Good bye, cruel gaming world that violated my childhood and everything I used to stand for. Oh, the glorious days, with Monkey Island and Eye of the Beholder. Those games had soul. Youngsters of today will never experience the pride of beating classics Giana Sisters and Last Ninja, games that stood up for our moral values of justice and freedom. When I am on my deathbed I will remember that I lived up in the era in which games stood for what's right and we could fight pixelated symbols of evil with our trusty joysticks without having to sell our souls to corporate injustice like DirectX and Sony. Those were the days where gamers were gamers and we knew what we stood for, now it's all lost in rampart materialism with no moral fiber. They simply do not make games like they used to make them anymore.

:faint:

Last edited:
I thought MotB was at least as dark as TW, only in a different way. Hell, it featured cannibalism, soul-eating, betrayal... to get the most powerful magic item in the game, you had to betray and consume the souls of every one of your party members!

I still find it odd that you find this sort of thing less objectionable than the sex in The Witcher (which is milder than what you get in prime-time TV).

I thought MotB was at least as dark as TW, only in a different way. Hell, it featured cannibalism, soul-eating, betrayal... to get the most powerful magic item in the game, you had to betray and consume the souls of every one of your party members!

I still find it odd that you find this sort of thing less objectionable than the sex in The Witcher (which is milder than what you get in prime-time TV).

To be honest I just had the hardware to play it now. The Soul Eater was pretty controversial so you may be right. I'll check it out when I get to that point and I may end up scrapping the thing.

Its not just the sex in Witcher but the whole of the thing. I don't watch horror movies and most R rated movies for the same reason I wouldn't play a game like it.

If last year was good/very good year for RPGs, then what about the years when Planscape:Torment, Baldur's Gate, Gothic 1/2, Fallout, NWN came out?. If you played a lot indies then when there's a lot "good", "very good", etc came out, of course that years is very good RPG year; and if i think Deus Ex as a RPG, then it was good RPG year when it came out...

Crysis, as good as it is, didn't get anywhere near the attention of Half-Life 2 or even DOOM 3, for example.

I'm sorry, but I think that's just because Farcry didn't make as much an impact (comparatively) on the first-person shooter scene as Doom or Half-Life did. Brand names and everything...

For me, and I know this is not a popular title around here :D, 2007 was the year I finally finished Final Fantasy 9. And what a great game that was! Now I'm on to Final Fantasy 7. ;)

Last edited:
For me, and I know this is not a popular title around here :D, 2007 was the year I finally finished Final Fantasy 9. And what a great game that was! Now I'm on to Final Fantasy 7. ;)

2007 is actually the year I for the first time played the FF series, from FF7-FF12 including X-2.

A good-to-great year for me personally, with games like Two Worlds, The Witcher and MotB. As previously mentioned - it was a year of hope; 2007 showed that the RPG genre is still strong and nowhere near "dying", as some have been claiming for ten years.

Yes, 2007 was great for rpg games compared to 2006. I mean.

The Witcher, Eschalon - Book, NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer, Two Worlds, Depths of Peril, Avencast, and some other games I have forgotten. I will throw Bioshock and Stalker in with the lot, too, although, they're not technically rpg games, they seem to borrow heavily from this genre gameplay wise.

Before I voted I had a loooong look at the RPG listing on "Home of the Underdogs"... after which I simply had to vote "terrible".

Before I voted I had a loooong look at the RPG listing on "Home of the Underdogs"... after which I simply had to vote "terrible".

LOL, I prefer Moby Games. Home of the Underdogs takes too long and hasn't been updated in years.

Agreed on Moby Games. I wish the Underdogs would get some TLC.

I think the fact that I haven't been able to finish a game without a new one showing up and distracting me for the last year means that it's been a very good year. I can't remember the last time this many and this variety of RPGs were released.

Mass Effect hasn't been mentioned much, but it isn't on PC yet. That game pulled me through without effort. That's a whole new mythos that's going to be fun to explore as it develops. I think we're getting much closer to gaming's Citizen Kane and it's good to see that classic RPG makers might get us there. It's also cool to see a genre that may be one of the geekier ones is garnering games all the street cred they deserve.

I was shocked by how polished the Witcher was. The attention to detail is unparalleled. I've never seen window dressing that lush.

Eschalon is tons of fun.

Two Worlds borrowed game design choices from several good games and made a really interesting niche game that turns out fun despite flaws. I'm still annoyed by a kid at Blockbuster that bemoaned it as just a "bad Oblivion copy," when I rented it from him. It's way more of a clunky Gothic copy with Oblivion and Diablo-esque elements.

Home of the Underdogs RPG listing is IMHO not very good, it has way too many roguelikes and jRPGs.

I voted OK, since I got to play a few decent releases (Escalon and Two Worlds), and the Witcher seems interesting, making the year at least on par with 2006 and above average for the 2000s...

It was a terrible year. And the years will continue to be terrible until Ubisoft release MM10.

Well overdue.

Back
Top Bottom