Things you don't need to know...

Saw Spamalot sat Cologne. So far my only Musical.
Arrived there at the right time, but a week too early. :lol:
After some talking with the management person there (who was very polite), I could exchange my ticket into a fitting one. :D

Since this is about things I do not need to know :

What exactly is the difference between Rap and Hiphop ?
I'm asking because I can't see any, sorry for my ignorance …

Good question. I think hip hop has a distinct rhythm / beat while rap doesn't, it can have any or no beat.

Seems like quora agrees with me

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-rap-and-hip-hop

"Rap" and "Hip Hop" generally overlap and refer to subsets of R&B/Urban music. However, not all rap is hip-hop and not all hip-hop is rap.

1. Not All Hip Hop Is/Has Rap

Historically, Hip Hop comprises 4 elements, 1 of which is rap, as outlined by DJ Afrikaa Bambaataa.

The four elements of Hip Hop are DJing, MCing (a.k.a. rapping), B-Boying (a.k.a. breakdancing) and graffiti writing. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip…

Old schoolers rapped about all these elements, although hardly any commercial rappers talk about graffiti writing anymore. Now the most famous graffiti writers are Banksy and Shepard Fairey. They are not hip hop.

Some of the greatest hip hop music has no rapping at all, consisting only of beat mixing, sampling and scratching.

2. Not All Rap Is Hip Hop

Rap can be any kind of speaking, typically over a beat but not always.

People have "rapped" since long before hip hop. Hippies rapped. Parents in after-school specials invited their fictional kids to "rap" about drugs, sex, puberty, etc.

Blondie's "Rapture" had a rap, but it is not hip hop. It's disco or punk or pop.

3. The "Rap" Genre Is a Subset of "Urban" and "R&B/Hip-Hop" in the Music Industry

According to Billboard (the music industry Bible), a Rap single can either be in the Hip-Hop or urban dance/upbeat pop genres.

Nowadays, many people generally understand "rap music" to mean hip hop music that includes rapping of the likes of Eminem, Jay-Z, Kanye West, the rap interludes in Black Eyed Peas songs.

Billboard combines several charts under the R&B/Hip Hop primary-level category. These are a continuation, in various forms, of urban charts since Billboard's "Harlem Hit Parade" chart in 1942.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bil…

Billboard,'s Hot Rap Songs chart is the product of an algorithm of Hip-Hop and radio stations playing "Rhythmic" (urban dance, R&B, upbeat pop). Singles on that chart can be, but are not necessarily, hip hop. For example, "O.M.G." by Usher has rapping by will.i.am, but is dance, not hip hop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rap…

Thank you.

To me, "R&B" is something different than "Rhythm & Blues", althout both are meant - at least that's my understanding - that both are essentially the same.

In my very personal view, the difference between both is simply time :
Rhythm & Blues is something to be found only 50s - 60s.
R&B is something from the last and from this decade.
Between that is only Blues.
That's how I (artificially ?) distinguish both.

But, yes, I see that Hip Hop and Rap partly overlap.

Yeah, I wouldn't categorize R&B with Hip Hop and Rap. I think it's a distinct genre. So I disagree with quora on that aspect. Although one could rap over an R&B rhythm.

European championship in (real) football starts today. 24 teams have prepared for the event, and several stars are involved. Right.

For some reason participating nations thinks it's a good idea to supplement the sportsmanship with a song.

Here's

and

and

Well….

pibbur who considered posting this in then TEPCL thread, but found out that most the songs was obviously not meant to be listened to.

Last edited:
Breaking news: 7 new spider species are discovered in Australia. They all belong to the peacock spiders and are described as beautiful. Hah!" Even good ol' BBC has fallen for this and describes them as "more cute than creepy-crawly". HAH!!!!

The links don't say if they're dangerous or not, but since they grow and thrive down under, we know what we need to know about them already.

On the Australian site there are 3 interesting links: One of them is:

1. What to do if you find a spider. Don't need an article for that. Hah!! Do like we (should) do with smurfs: STEP ON'EM.

The other two are:

2. This is why you should love spiders. Yeeeech [my addition].
3. Australia's 10 most dangerous spiders. Only 10? What about the next 990 most dangerous 8-legged beasts?[my addition]

This reminds of the two important rules for handling possibly poisonous mushrooms (which apparently doesn't exist in Oz. HAH!!!):

1. Learn to know the dangerous mushrooms.
2. Eat only mushrooms you know!

pibbur who won't be fooled, and now seriously doubts any sane people will go down there (with the exception of GG, she's been there and has kept her sanity (correct English?). Apparently.).

Last edited:
3. Go under any mushroom in case of rain (only works if you are a Smurf).

War. War never changes. When it comes to seagulls. (And similar beasts).

Due to work on a new railway tunnel between Arna@Norway where I live, and Bergen@Norway where my job is, the car park at the station has been moved. Unfortunately to a place where seagulls have been camping for years. They aren't very pleased with the new occupants, and insist on camping as thy used to, laying eggs and raising kids. People. Cars. Seagulls. Seagull youngsters. Occupying the same coordinates in spacetime - of course I realize this means war.

So the next couple of weeks, whenever we dare leave our cars at the railway station, a flock of very noisy seagull bombers zoom in and drop their droppings. Fortunately, in the western part of Norway, and especially around my home town, an umbrella is always at hand. Going un-shielded is not recommended.

Alice_Audley_with__3380542b.jpg
This woman (who actually is somewhere else) is not properly shielded, and as you can see she's in trouble, serious trouble.

pibbur who wishes that seagulls would stay at sea.

Last edited:
Our dog somehow got skunk on her Monday night.

No sounds, no barking, but she (and the house) stunk. Took about 3 days before the house smell was gone, but she still had a bit of a smell on her. Baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, and dishwashing soap removed most of it last night.

But she still carries a faint whiff (if you put your nose in her fur). Sigh…

My dog engages in similar practices. She likes rolling in fox crap. It's not her most endearing feature.

Breaking news: 7 new spider species are discovered in Australia. They all belong to the peacock spiders and are described as beautiful. Hah!" Even good ol' BBC has fallen for this and describes them as "more cute than creepy-crawly". HAH!!!!

The links don't say if they're dangerous or not, but since they grow and thrive down under, we know what we need to know about them already.

On the Australian site there are 3 interesting links: One of them is:

1. What to do if you find a spider. Don't need an article for that. Hah!! Do like we (should) do with smurfs: STEP ON'EM.

The other two are:

2. This is why you should love spiders. Yeeeech [my addition].
3. Australia's 10 most dangerous spiders. Only 10? What about the next 990 most dangerous 8-legged beasts?[my addition]

This reminds of the two important rules for handling possibly poisonous mushrooms (which apparently doesn't exist in Oz. HAH!!!):

1. Learn to know the dangerous mushrooms.
2. Eat only mushrooms you know!

pibbur who won't be fooled, and now seriously doubts any sane people will go down there (with the exception of GG, she's been there and has kept her sanity (correct English?). Apparently.).

I missed this! I now have this image of pibbur arriving in Australia (if he ever makes it) and as he exits customers he has an honour guard of spiders!!

I missed this! I now have this image of pibbur arriving in Australia (if he ever makes it) and as he exits customers he has an honour guard of spiders!!

*shivers*

I will of course stamp on them, unless they're too large for my feet.

pibbur who wonders if someone, by extreme malice would name a spider after him.

PS. A long time ago, in a galaxy very, very near, I was temporarily working on a PhD thesis which never materialized. My "guide officer" was mainly interested in small creatures of the sea, especially the Oikopleura genus. One of them was named after him, but as the story goes he wasn't entirely happy with that, as the species was a parasite. Which, as I learned later, actually was very fitting. DS.

*shivers*

I will of course stamp on them, unless they're too large for my feet.

pibbur who wonders if someone, by extreme malice would name a spider after him.

PS. A long time ago, in a galaxy very, very near, I was temporarily working on a PhD thesis which never materialized. My "guide officer" was mainly interested in small creatures of the sea, especially the Oikopleura genus. One of them was named after him, but as the story goes he wasn't entirely happy with that, as the species was a parasite. Which, as I learned later, actually was very fitting. DS.

:lol::lol:

Yup I had a Ph.D. Supervisor who I suspect was a were beast of some kind as about once a month was totally feral

My brand new D&D character has died after just two sessions.

Farewell, Monroe Weathermonger, pillar of his community and reasonable businessman. He died as he lived, getting punched in the face for reasons he didn't understand.

:mourn: :bigcry: :mourn: :bigcry: :mourn: :bigcry: :mourn: :bigcry::mourn: :bigcry:

Back
Top Bottom