Diablo 3 - Official: "Early 2012"

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Blizzard has always taken a "when it's done" approach but signs seemed to be pointing to a 2011 release for Diablo III. Now it's official, with a press release hitting our inbox announcing an "early 2012" release:
HELL FREEZES OVER - DIABLO® III TO SHIP IN EARLY 2012

Blizzard Entertainment extends beta test for hotly anticipated action role-playing game

IRVINE, Calif. - Despite a sterling record of always hitting its release targets, Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. today announced that the expected launch window for Diablo® III, the next title in the company’s critically acclaimed series of action role-playing games, will be moving into early 2012.

"With every game we make, the temptation is always very strong to launch as soon as possible. However, we didn't put so many years of work into Diablo III to release a game that was almost ready," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and cofounder of Blizzard Entertainment. "The beta test is going very well, and we look forward to making the most of the extra time we're taking to deliver an experience that lives up to our vision for the game and the expectations of our players. Next year is going to be an incredibly busy one for Blizzard, and we hope an incredibly fun one for Blizzard gamers."

Blizzard will use the additional time to extend the Diablo III closed beta test, which began September 20, potentially adding more testers than initially projected. Players who have an active Battle.net® account with any Blizzard game attached to it should visit Battle.net account management to opt in for a chance to participate in the beta test. Additional testing phases, as well as further details regarding the launch plans for the game, will be announced on the company’s Diablo III community website: www.Diablo3.com.
Thanks to EvilManagedCare and Kris for similar submissions!
More information.

Skyrim and Star Wars should keep me busy for a long while before then...

I read the beta had some problems with server communication. Anyone know how the game depends upon from the server? User authentication, loot tables, mobs simulation?

I read the beta had some problems with server communication. Anyone know how the game depends upon from the server? User authentication, loot tables, mobs simulation?

Only Blizzard know that - but it'd be my guess that the client depends on the server for pretty much everything that's not strictly needed for performance reasons.

Drithius,t was thinking the same thing. Torchlight 2 will get some attention it deserves. TL2 is more single player friendly.

I'm actually more excited for toch light 2 then I am diablo 3...not sure why, but diablo just isn't getting much of my attention.

Personally I thought torchlight was way too simplistic and easy. But regardless of whether you are excited about torchlight 2 or not, you have to agree that Diablo 3 being delayed is great news for them. That alone will probably give them an enormous sales boost.

Let me help everyone understand posts like "This will help torchlight 2"..

Some people feel betrayed by Blizzard, and strongly oppose their direction in d3.. Therefore they post things like this to draw attention to Torchlight 2.. I'll undoubtedly play D3, but I am definitely not a fan of the direction it has taken in terms of no LAN or SP component..

I think this is a bad trend.. Just as I think cloud computing is a bad trend..

I think this is a bad trend.. Just as I think cloud computing is a bad trend..

Even though I have muiltiple times discussed the connectivity not bothering me about D3, I agree with this statement. Cloud computing does have its advantages, but some of the disadvantages concern me. Unfortunately, there's little can be done to stop it.

And in response to the release date being delayed (we all knew 2011 was too lofty anyway): Poop.

At least there will be TL2 & Frayed Knights to keep me company.

Back
Top Bottom