Oblivion Nehrim... just wow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
abharsair said:
No, there's no fast travel, but you can buy teleport spells and teleport to various locations. There's also a "mark" and "return" spell.

Much better than fast travel in my book, I felt the fast travel in vanilla Oblivion broke the atmosphere (and made horses largely pointless), I want some kind of in-game justification for moving around instantly.

It costs you though - Mark/Recall and teleport location runes (aka Gothic) both consume a pricey gem. Frankly haven't used it, invested in a horse instead. Horses are pricey too, but persistent. The economy makes you work for it, a big plus in my book. Good arrows are pricey, recharges etc. The repair system is far less annoying though, stuff degrades slowly.

While I eventually grew bored with Nehrim, I got 50-60 hours out of it at least. It's a good game. If the main quest would have been more to my liking, it might have battled for rpg of the year for me.

While I eventually grew bored with Nehrim, I got 50-60 hours out of it at least. It's a good game. If the main quest would have been more to my liking, it might have battled for rpg of the year for me.

Can you explain more about how it was not to your liking? I haven't played it and am curious.

Plot works for me… Another nice shot, no particular reason.

onhorse.jpg

The shot is nice yet similar to previous, shots with a touch of 'action' look good also...:)

I see you are wearing the black hood (thieves probably if you did the quest?) - i think there's also a full black armour set (high stats/traits) somewhere in the game. In fact there are several very beneficial matched sets which work to full bonus effect only if all the set pieces are collected....and of course a beautiful black horse would give it the finishing touch!

I enjoyed Nehirim at lower levels/earlier in the game, but I'm now at a city in the South fetching some more stuff for some grump mage and I just lost steam :-/ A pity, because I really enjoyed what they did with the world. I tried starting it up again last week, fiddled for 5 minutes and then shut it down. I'm busy replaying Morrowind + many mods, MGE and new content like Rise of House Telvanni and the new land of Tamriel Rebuilt - just tryingto get the main quest out of the way. I must say there are many real quality mods for Morrowind and Oblivion - I'm glad they're releasing a toolkit for ES5!
I think the nehirim guys did an excellent job - the only negative for me is that it still looks a bit to much like oblivion (although in parts like the dark forest, they made it wonderfully eerie and unique. Some caves were like that too). I do understand that they couldn't reasonagly redo all the models, textures etc ;-) - still, a very good mod.

ha ha I'll take a shot with something new. I'm not usually thinking screenshot on mission, this was a cash in run at the capital :)

Can you explain more about how it was not to your liking? I haven't played it and am curious.

Hmmm, without getting too spoilery: There is a character that has godlike powers that you're in charge of freeing and aiding once free. I couldn't stand that guy and I would not support his vision for the future. There was no second option, so that ended the game for me. If I could have just killed him myself, that would have been fun. I was effectively more powerful than he was anyway.

Hmmm, without getting too spoilery: There is a character that has godlike powers that you're in charge of freeing and aiding once free. I couldn't stand that guy and I would not support his vision for the future. There was no second option, so that ended the game for me. If I could have just killed him myself, that would have been fun. I was effectively more powerful than he was anyway.

I have similar thoughts. There are also a couple places where it appears you can make choices about the outcome of the main plot but they are false choices.

Even so I did re-play it most of the way through as a different sort of character after I finished it. I quit that time when I got to where I had to do main plot stuff in order to get into some areas.

It looked goo when I first tried it, but it wouldnt run with steam on vista for me. I have win7 now, and you inspired me to give it another go.

crashes were every few minutes on vista. barely made it out of the entry dungeon.

The game crashes for me at least once per hour and always on a transition. I just learned to save often and live with it, and it launches/loads very fast so its not a huge issue. It is certainly worth the effort!

It's hard to say much without spoilers, but toward the end of the main quest, you can deviate from his vision. Plus you missed out on some of the best parts of the game if you quit where you did.

Ditto here. I didn't like the introduction part. Without spoiling too much of it, I felt it sounded… contrieved and soulless.

Do YOU often respond to anonymous invitations (to meet someone? to what purpose?), miles away from your home, at a dark spot inside a mine that is rumored to be swamped by monsters ? I don't think so, but okay, I can pretend that I would. After all, I've seen worse… whistleCallOfCthulhuwhistle.

However, if a particular someone got me in trouble because of their invitation, effectively leaving me stranded to fend off for my life for a good whole while, looking for an exit to the surface, and then magically appeared out of thin air shortly before I found it, I am positive I couldn't repress the urge to thrust whatever pointy bit (or rusty axe, at the time) I was holding in my hand through this neck, rather than to listen to his pseudo-justifications and accept his proposal to join his super secret (like, everyone knows of it?) confrerie (yawn, you're kidding, right?).

Anyway, I am mostly fine with linear story progression, but not so if it's forced down upon the player in such an artifical fashion.

It is a shame, because the initial premises seemed rather promising (surviving against all odds), the visuals enticing, and the atmosphere of the places I got to visit a good league ahead of standard Oblivion's in matters of wow, this is cool! factor.

Nehrim isn't quite up to what I expect from a "good" RPG. Still, overall it's a pretty satisfying experience of the Oblivion engine, contrary to the one I had with Bethesda's original game, for example, and I can see why some people would praise it largely, especially if one had enjoyed Gothic/Two Worlds before (which I didn't).

Just in case folks missed the news item, English patch released. Open up your Nehrim launcher (as administrator) and it should inform you it is ready to update.

I installed it and it is compatible with save games. Again just make sure you run the launcher as administrator and let it do its thing. I've heard of folks having issues if they installed Oblivion in "Program files" but I'm at "c:\nehrim..." so it was strait forward.

Post launch I immediately got a message there was a new bounty quest available. Enjoy.

Enjoying it so far, very definitely a Gothic inspired game. Shame it's still got some of the Oblivion orientated stuff, I hate having to spam my skills to get decent attribute gains at level up.

Overall very impressed though, amazing the quality of work that can come out of entirely free community efforts. I think more game designers should give thought to trying some kind of premium module arrangement whereby people who do something as good as Nehrim can actually make some money out of it (and to not stuffing it up as heroically as Atari did with MoW).

Enjoying it so far, very definitely a Gothic inspired game. Shame it's still got some of the Oblivion orientated stuff, I hate having to spam my skills to get decent attribute gains at level up.

Nehrim has a completely different level advancement scheme than Oblivion.

Nehrim has a completely different level advancement scheme than Oblivion.

It's different certainly, but the size of the attribute gain at level up still seems to be driven by the number of advancements in skills driven by that attribute.

i.e. there's still an incentive to keep jumping and spamming your spells.

I agree, which is why one of the first mods that I added to Nehrim was the all +5 attributes modifier at level up.

This is my complete list of mods for Nehrim, and they served me well during 2 playthroughs.

Code:
Active Mod Files:
00  Nehrim.esm
01  NehrimData.esp
02  Black Heart.esp
03  DarkSaintHGEC.esp
04  EY_AoD.esp
05  NexonsArmoryENG.esp
++  Nehrim_Bigger_Bears_and_Smaller_Foxes.esp
06  BetterLookingMaleKim.esp
07  NehrimFairFemaleKim.esp
08  X.Races.Comp.esp
++  NehrimGrassFix.esp
09  NehrimEnglish.esp
0A  Nehrim Improvment.esp
0B  FastRoasting(EN).esp
0C  fasttravelupdate.esp
0D  All+5AttributeModifiers.esp
0E  Bashed Patch, 0.esp

One last tip for Steam users : if you have issues launching Nehrim after installing and configuring it through the Nehrim launcher, copy OblivionLauncher.exe over to the root of the folder in which you installed Nehrim. You should now be able to play.

It's different certainly, but the size of the attribute gain at level up still seems to be driven by the number of advancements in skills driven by that attribute.

i.e. there's still an incentive to keep jumping and spamming your spells.

Back
Top Bottom