Off-Topic

D

DArtagnan

An appropriate title, wouldn't you say?

If you go off-topic in here, you don't actually go off-topic, only partially ;)

Why?

Because I want to talk about off-topic.

I've noticed, lately, that many discussions in threads go completely off-topic, and I'm perfectly aware that I'm part of that.

I also recognise the annoyance, on occasion, but I also happen to find that going off-topic is a lot more interesting than rigidly staying on-topic if nothing new can be added.

So, am I really the only one who is not obsessed with the concept of staying on-topic - and is it really preferable to you, to have people stay on-topic, if they don't actually have anything of value to say - that directly relates to the topic?

Hehe, I just think it's so silly to have people bitching about the topic - without them having anything of value to add, and when the topic itself seems dead.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
Oh.

Personally, I prefer derailed but active threads to rigid corpses. If things get too wild, there's still the option to split a thread, but, hey... this is the Off Topic forum after all ^^.

And now to something completely different...

But honestly, I don't mind if a thread strays from the original topic (since I occasionally contribute to that). It would be a bit awkward if we had to create a new thread for each out-of-bull's-eye-comment.

It does however depend on the original subject of the thread. And it also depends on how far off the new branch is.

Like good ol' Cato used to say at at the end of every speech he made in the senate@rome after 157BC: "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam." (Moreover, I advise that Carthage must be destroyed.)

The kiwi bird is one of the smallest on earth. It also shares it name with a fruit which is excellent for your health.

The kiwifruit, often shortened to kiwi in many parts of the world, is the edible berry of a cultivar group of the woody vine Actinidia deliciosa and hybrids between this and other species in the genus Actinidia.

The most common cultivars of kiwifruit are oval, about the size of a large hen's egg (5–8 cm / 2–3 in long and 4.5–5.5 cm / 1¾–2 in diameter). It has a fibrous, dull brown-green skin and bright green or golden flesh with rows of tiny, black, edible seeds. The fruit has a soft texture and a unique flavour, and today is a commercial crop in several countries, mainly in Italy, New Zealand, Brazil and Chile.

There are five accepted species of kiwi (one of which has four sub-species), plus one to be formally described.

The largest species is the Great Spotted Kiwi or Roroa, Apteryx haastii, which stands about 45 cm (18 in) high and weighs about 3.3 kg (7.3 lb). (Males about 2.4 kg (5.3 lb)) It has grey-brown plumage with lighter bands. The female lays just one egg, which both parents then incubate. Population is estimated to be over 20,000, distributed through the more mountainous parts of northwest Nelson, the northern West Coast, and the Southern Alps.
The very small Little Spotted Kiwi, Apteryx owenii is unable to withstand predation by introduced pigs, stoats and cats, which have led to its extinction on the mainland. About 1350 remain on Kapiti Island and it has been introduced to other predator-free islands and appears to be becoming established with about 50 'Little Spots' on each island. A docile bird the size of a bantam, it stands 25 cm (9.8 in) high and the female weighs 1.3 kg (2.9 lb). She lays one egg which is incubated by the male.

EvolutionIt was long presumed that the kiwi was closely related to the other New Zealand ratites, the moa. However, recent DNA studies indicate that the Ostrich is more closely related to the moa and the kiwi is more closely related to the Emu and the cassowaries. This theory suggests that the ancestors of the kiwi arrived in New Zealand from elsewhere in Australasia well after the moa. According to British scientists, the kiwi may be an ancient import from Australia. Researchers at Oxford University have found DNA evidence connected to Australia's Emu and the Ostrich of Africa. Upon examining DNA from the moa, they believe that the kiwi is more closely related to its Australian cousins.

The problem with too much off-topic is that you might not see when people post something related to the subject you wanted to discuss. Personally I would think that perhaps a threadsplit button would be a good idea... where you could continue an interesting discussion if it ventured too far from the topic. Now a mod have to do this and it is very time consuming. Maybe a thread could even have a little link to derived topic at the top.

Which is a particularly timely topic, given the recent earthquake in New Zealand.

Ah, New Zealand. I like some of their music, Maori(an?) music. The Haka for instance. Haka and the All Blacks are sexy, I think.
Speaking of All Blacks, Scots are hot too… See for yourself

But let's get back to the sad off topic, earthquakes.

I sometimes find it amusing to see just how far off topic a thread will stray. The P&R forum is FULL of classic examples. For those asking, we do have a split topic button for the mods, but we're usually too lazy to use it!! :D

I always thought that off-topics is what keeps a forum alive, giving people inspiration for new threads, and occasionally shedding unexpected new light on the "official" topic. And it looks to me, newbie that I am, that people here usually self regulates themselves by getting back on topic when things go to wild.

Omega, try googling "dieu du stade" (with the quotes). It's the name of a nude calendar the French rugby team posed for a few years ago. There's a distinct lack of Maoris, and the aesthetic is vividly homosexual, but you may find it worth your time.

O_O
Vhoa. I may not be Omega (at least not anymore... 'Omega' was the call sign of one of my dearest pen&paper RPG characters), but thanks for the tip, Yogurt.
Though my favorite 2011 calender would still be this one:
http://www.autowaesche-kalender.de/
Sold out - sadly enough.

As for letting the customers split threads themslves... hmmm... no. IMO splitting threads should remain part of the dictator's portfolio. If suddenly everybody splits topics as they see fit (perhaps even splitting off replies they don't like all that much), we'd suddenly have 500.000 one-post topics.

OT: After six long years I caved in and bought me a new action figure. Needless to say it's about twice as expensive as one of the other 1:6 plastic guys in my basement... but I just couldn't resist. I mean, come on, a realistic take on a cartoonish animated character based on a live-action character that's actually been CGI, mostly? Heh. Love the concept.

In recent "Pasila" comic a character was thought to have melted his brains with drugs since he was unable to stay on topic, because he always finds som other topic that is more "interesting" (atleast he thinks so, others do not).

Indeed, vividly homosexual, Jogurt, I get the distinct impression the body's more important, few smile or flirt with the camera. Yet Jaz' favourite wouldn't be my favourite. Funny, it's the complete other side of the spectrum, as if looks do not matter for women.
I'm in the middle. :)

Looks matter to all of us.

Sadly, what matters even more is whether we can get what we want or not.

It's so very human to crave what we can't have, and it gets worse if you're not happy with yourself.

In my experience, women typically have a harder time being happy about themselves than men - and I don't want to speculate why. But I find that to be one reason looks matter somewhat less to women, because they're likely to be attracted based on other reasons - precisely because they tend to look at themselves as "not truly worthy".

Not all women, certainly, but many of them.

Yet Jaz' favourite wouldn't be my favourite. Funny, it's the complete other side of the spectrum, as if looks do not matter for women.
I'm in the middle. :)
Oh, but looks do matter, even to me. I love 'my' calender for the concept - found it absolutely hilarious :).

I remember Off-Topic Masters like Pinnen and DZD at the old RPGDot -> those were the days ...

They made an art out of hijacking threads.

They used to call me "Off" at the Larian boards ... :lol:

Heh, I was so flattered when somebody made an 'OT Psychos' banner over at the now defunct Hostile Intent board and I discovered my name on it. So you're not alone :).

Man, those were the times... I remember back in the days (must have been '99 or 2000) when somebody over at the TFN forums tried to guess the RL people behind forum personae. I.e., he described how he thought we really were. That was great fun... according to what he thought I was a RL version of Sgt. Apone ^^.

3-dimensions-optical-illusion1.jpg

I also recognise the annoyance, on occasion, but I also happen to find that going off-topic is a lot more interesting than rigidly staying on-topic if nothing new can be added.
Yeah. However, I prefer when the off-topic happens progressively, through a chain of associations and such.
I´m not much fond of abrupt shifts, especially when caused by hooks like
"Could the newest Skvrim trailer be any MORE gay? Man, does it feel good to be of superior communist European PC master race."
The worst kind of off-topic are probably posts where people are whining about other people´s opinions without bothering to present some actual counter-arguments.

So, am I really the only one who is not obsessed with the concept of staying on-topic -
YES!
(I´m scrupulously against the "am I the only one who.." device, you know :))

Gothic 3 > Oblivion, btw.

Last edited:
I think my WORST mistake was to ask innocently within a role-playing discussion there at the Attic boards (Attic = Makers of Realms Of Arcania Trilogy) how a puzzle in a scene of Kyrandia 3 could be solved !!!!! :lol:

Back
Top Bottom