WiFi everywhere?

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
A new project is started by Electronic Frontier Foundation:
https://openwireless.org/

The idea? You provide 5-10% of your bandwith to anyone - for free.

No, you can't get into a problem for illegal downloads and whatnot crap (read details on that site how it's configured).
No, noone can lock onto your machine and do a mess on it!
No, NSA can't touch your perv private e-mails through this! :D

I'll join this project for sure. Why?
EFF gets nothing from this, I don't pay anything extra to anyone (I already have the second router, but even if I didn't have it, it's dirty cheap to get some crappy one from China).
I have flat internet so I don't really care if a new game is 5 or 50 Gb (not that I'd buy oversized crap games anyway…).
I live in a small town that's crawling with tourists. And I just want to keep them happy so they come again and spend more money here. That money goes round and round and in the end a part of it actually gets into my pocket. :)

Already been done in Belgium (for once). For quite some time people can connect to homespots (if the have the same provider)

Seems like a way to sponsor pedos, cheating spouses and terrahrists to me. It will also be insecure there's no way around that.

I just don't see much benefit, I don't care much if people can't connect their laptop while driving to be honest.

Well sorry about that but I'm not a paranoid person.
And am certainly not the police nor will do their job.

Anyone on the site who wants to visit my neigborhood, just bring your laptop and have fun. If on smartphone, make sure you have Viber installed for free chatty over free wifi - no roaming!

I'd think about it if I got paid in some way for it. No way I'll cede part of my bandwidth, and expose in any way my network no matter how secure they say it is, without compensation. Currently I pay around $40/month for my cable internet, for a $5/month discount I'd do it, no less.

Call me selfish, but NO!

I'm not sharing my bandwidth. I don't really like sharing with my own family so definitely not with strangers. Beyond what cable internet already shares obviously.

My internet, all mine, stay away. Don't touch my precious.:)

I'd share, but I'm living on 5th floor, so my WiFi's reception and ground level is practically non-existent.

If they invent flying cars or hoover boards where you have multiple levels of cars or skaters in the streets, I'll reconsider.

Well, I guess this would probably become pointless pretty soon, my LTE+ 4g is already much faster than my cable internet and almost any wifi I can find so...

Well, I guess this would probably become pointless pretty soon, my LTE+ 4g is already much faster than my cable internet and almost any wifi I can find so…

Well I'm thinking this is great for travellers. Just came back from Spain and what I did was, most restaurants in the cities would give you their wifi code once you ordered something.

Well I'm thinking this is great for travellers. Just came back from Spain and what I did was, most restaurants in the cities would give you their wifi code once you ordered something.

For awhile I guess, but with new EU regulations and such, I think it is only a matter of time until the roaming fiasco is resolved, the service providers will also realize that there is more money to make from people using their services compared to turning them off because they are afraid of huge bills.

My internet, all mine, stay away. Don't touch my precious.:)

I usually don't correct spelling errors, even my own tend to go undetected (by me). But in this case I can't remain silent.

Correct spelling is of course:

Our internet, all oursss, ssstay away. Don't touch the precioussss. Gollum, gollum.:)

pibbur who know what it kept in its pocketsesss.

I usually don't correct spelling errors, even my own tend to go undetected (by me). But in this case I can't remain silent.

Correct spelling is of course:

Our internet, all oursss, ssstay away. Don't touch the precioussss. Gollum, gollum.:)

pibbur who know what it kept in its pocketsesss.

This is the kind if Grammar Nazi we all like :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom