Bottom 10 CRPGs Of All Time

I think the exact opposite. Give me flawed gems like Arcanum and Daggerfall over any boring mediocrity like Fallout 3 and Skyrim.

I don't want boring mediocrity either, but you give some very poor examples. FO3 and Skyrim are far from fitting that description.

Por2 with the speed up utility is a joy to play. At least it was for me. :)

I didn't even know such a thing existed for PoR2. I'm still hoping that game eventually shows up on GOG.

I've never actually played PoR2, except a quick peek back upon release.

Could someone give me a good reason to try it?

Last edited:
I was actually floored to see Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader on your list, felipepepe...o.o; I thought it was a fun (if overly difficult for me) successor to the Infinity Engine games...

Though I must wholeheartedly agree about Pools of Radiance. My mind had blotted out the memory of it.

A fun thread, some interesting reading.

Just the mentioning of Ruins of Myth Drannor got me nostalgic enough to track down my old thread when I finally completed the game on the 'Watch.

http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13001&highlight=myth+drannor

It takes some endurance due to the sheer size and amount of endless combat, but with the speed mod it is a perfectly playable dungeon crawler if played with this in mind. I was quite happy to overcome and beat the game despite my earlier issues with it.

Lionheart was also a mixed blessing. The first half had some fine ideas and interesting role-playing dialogue (meeting characters based upon historical figures etc) but when the money ran out, the second half was sadly an underwhelming tedious combat slog.

Similar to the notion of a "Best 10 crpgs of all time" though, one's choices of games played in a lifetime are always limited to personal experience and so really something like this should be retitled to "your least favourite or most disliked cRPGs"

I would suggest NOT including a "List of Shame" or Bottom 10 RPGs. That is just not cool. Keep the book positive and try to spread positive vibes with good reviews from passionate players. Just my 2 cents.

I was actually floored to see Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader on your list, felipepepe…o.o; I thought it was a fun (if overly difficult for me) successor to the Infinity Engine games…
It started out pretty well but man, it was just such a mess. Combat was absolute dogshit if you pardon my french. I don't think I've ever hated moment to moment gameplay as much as when I played Lionheart.

How about Daggerfall? Buggy mess. For that matter, should we not mention Wizards and Warriors, with the game breaking bugs and the UberHorse?

Wow, this two games would both be somewhere in my top 50; I just appreciate even very flawed gems more then perfect pebbles :)

Strange how many people defend games, that I absolutly despise - this shows, that only really bad games should be in the Hall of Shame...
At least I have no one seen who defends Descent to Undermountain and Might and Magic IX.

It started out pretty well but man, it was just such a mess. Combat was absolute dogshit if you pardon my french. I don't think I've ever hated moment to moment gameplay as much as when I played Lionheart.

That was my experience as well. It started out quite good, but it went downhill quite quickly and after a while it was just a pain to play.

At least I have no one seen who defends Descent to Undermountain and Might and Magic IX.
What? Might & Magic IX was excellent. That character development system, and...
alright, so I can't actually come up with anything else that would give the illusion of me actually having enjoyed the game. Yes, it was quite terrible. I've actually met a person who says that he really liked that game. When I asked him what other CRPGs he had played, he said Oblivion (and nothing else).

Any grid based movement RPG (including legend of grimrock). I played a lot of them in the 90's but i see it as a really dark period of RPG's.

Final Fantasy. I really tried to like them but they're just overall really shitty. The combat is idiotic, a mix of realtime and TB which obviously is just retarded beyond belief. The enemies you fight are too LSD-inspired even for me, giant birds with hats that shoots lasers etc. It doesnt work for me.

King's Bounty: The Legend. Nice presentation, graphics. You instantly think it's a game you're gonna love, but its really just extemely dull and extremely overrated.

X-com Enemy Unknown. Pretty much like Kings Bounty; super nice presentation and like KB it did trick me a few hours that its a nice game (which it isnt, i'd probably rate gameplay 3/10).

alright, so I can't actually come up with anything else that would give the dillusion of me actually having enjoyed the game. Yes, it was quite terrible . I've actually met a person who says that he really liked that game. When I asked him what other CRPGs he had played, he said Oblivion (and nothing else).

Well. I didn't LIKE MM9. It was a terrible game.

But somehow, and I really can't explain why, I got some fun out of it. And I finished it.

pibbur who even found some of the bugs, and the sheer number of them funny. Just like a very bad movie (Plan 9) can be fun to watch.

yeah i really tried to like it, i actually even bought the follow-up to it and tried that one too (since its supposed to be a bit better), but it doesnt do it for me at all.. I really didn't like Jagged Alliance either, another game i really wanted to like but imo the gameplay is garbage.. There's no immersion, the story and characters in these games is just so dull too, no personality at all and just totally uninteresting. The gameplay is just a total "meh" imo, i don't understand what people see in these games. Is it for the combat alone?

The original X-Com is in my top 3 of all time :)

One of the extremely rare examples of major innovation and utterly brilliant gameplay in the same breath.

Not only is innovation on that level very, very special - but to have it actually work that well on the first iteration and still, to this day, be just about the best example of that formula is truly something special.

Only games like System Shock can match that feat.

Well, it was almost purely for combat alone for me. The story was good enough to give a reason to keep fighting but it sure wasn't the reason to play.

I hear ya, though. I'm the same way with the action RPGs like Diablo. (Though I liked Divinity 2.) I barely made it through Diablo 1 and I don't think I made it a quarter of the way through Diablo 2.

Haven't been here in some time! Must have missed this one way back, but better late than never?

Some of the entries here baffle me. I wouldn't call some of them bad games by any means, maybe not great or lacking in one way or another, but not bad. Even Oblivion, which I hated for some time, did have some somewhat redeeming qualities - in the end it wasn't a bad game, just a mediocre one.

But enough about that, these are the games I feel were absolutely terrible (for me) and irredeemable:

Neverwinter Nights - expectations were so high for this one especially after BG2 but it was one of the dullest games I've ever played, ALL of it, the writing, quests, music, combat, can't think of anything that was good. I will say the 1st expansion was a half-way decent experience and the 2nd expansion was good, but the OC was horrendous.

Dungeon Siege - I put maybe 2 hours into it and then couldn't play it anymore. A complete snorefest.

Ok, that's all I can think of at the moment. I've found other games to be flawed but still enjoyable.

Welcome back.

pibbur who wishes the relayer welcome back despite disagreements both with the selection of games and the selected guitar. And who for a while ponders if he should change his avatar into a beautiful stratcat, but who decides to stay with the Doctor.

I can't actually remember any RPG's THAT bad that I've tried. Like Pubbur I actually finished MMIX, I even did a replay just a couple of years ago, and I found it entertaining. The story is of course rubbish, but the character system is nice, and the graphics are okish. And I had no game breaking bugs either.

If the question was 10 most Dissapointing RPG's I could name quite a few, but worst? Nope. Probably didn't make it past the first hour in those and as such don't remember them…

Back
Top Bottom