I loved Risen. But i never played Ghotic. Which one should i play ?

Twotricks

Sentinel
Not much time to write , so ill be short.

I really loved Risen. And would like to play more and more of it...

Would any of Ghotic games be good for me ? And if yes which one should I play ?

Also if you know of any similar RPG. Please recommend.

Gothic 1 followed by Gothic 2: NotR is what you want to play.
Some people have initial troubles with controls in these games, but it shouldn´t take more then an hour to get used to them. Besides that, first two Gothics are as Risen-like experiences as you can get, and what´s more, they both happen to be even better games than Risen.

I agree. With Gothic 2 without the Addon of NOTR being a bit more easy, I heard.

Yes, the first two Gothics.

The controls are okay, but they need explanation. See one of the newer threads in the Gothic forum.

I generally recommend G2 without NotR the first time people go through it, but I suppose once through G1 will suffice. NotR is very difficult, so if you don't want a real challenge, play it without the add-on (though it's also a very good add-on, so you'd be missing out on quite an experience).

Begin with the first Gothic then play Gothic 2 Gold.

If you can stand gamepads at all, try setting up gamepad controls with one of those joystick-to-keyboard mappers. The combat works like a charm this way, in my opinion, much better than with the keyboard, which can be quite RSI inducing (again, in my opinion).

I think Gothic was originally planned for a console release, too, which might explain their control choices.

Is Gothic 1 perhaps bit to ancient? Is Gothic 2 better in any way than 1 ?

And if yes. Do i have to play 1 , or can i just skip it ?

Both games are *excellent*! If I hadn't already played both of them numerous times, those games are what I would be playing right now - despite all the new ones coming out...

Personally I like G2 even better than G1, but some people here feel the opposite :) There are several characters from G1 in G2, and several references are made back to the story of G1 - but it's definitely very possible to play and enjoy G2 without playing G1. Or so I would think (I played them in order myself).

Is Gothic 1 perhaps bit to ancient? Is Gothic 2 better in any way than 1 ?

And if yes. Do i have to play 1 , or can i just skip it ?

A couple things. G2 + NoTR is initially very difficult. It is pretty hardcore but very rewarding. Enjoy the boars. If you played Risen you probably won't be too surprised about the difficulty but Risen was much easier especially in the beginning levels. G2 "original" is a quite a bit easier initially and both games even out by mid point. That being said I'd go with G2 + NoTR.

G1 may be ancient and the graphics a bit limiting but it more than makes up for it in atmosphere, story and design. I played G2 first and then G1, and then G2 + NoTR. G1 was fantastic. G3, despite the press and with all the community patches is an excellent game, hampered by the combat but its very good, very immersive as well so don't dismiss it. Its still far better than most RPG's on the market and a better sandbox open world than Oblivion or Two Worlds.

Gothic 1 is hardly an ancient game. You would be seriously missing out if you didn't play it, it has such great atmosphere. Theres nothing wrong with the graphics either, if you didnt play it for that reason then I feel pity for you. There have been many games with FAR FAR worse graphics that are brilliant games and you would be missing out on them too.

I would recommend going straight to G2 NotR if you have time constraints, otherwise play part 1 first.

I wouldn't say Gothic 1 has "ancient" graphics. It certainly isn't Battlefield Bad Company 2, but it's not a bad looking game, especially for it's era. Skipping out on it for that is a very, very foolish thing, IMO. But then, skipping anything for graphics is a very, very foolish thing IMO. I've played too many good games with no graphics whatsoever I guess.

I would recommend going straight to G2 NotR if you have time constraints, otherwise play part 1 first.

I do have time constrains.

This is what i decided. I will play Gothic 2. Not because its easier on the eyes. But because it has a bit better interface ( quicksave option )

After that. If time permits i will play Gothic 1

This is what i decided. I will play Gothic 2. Not because its easier on the eyes. But because it has a bit better interface ( quicksave option )

That's sort of a strange rationale for your decision if you ask me. I thought Gothic 1 did have a quicksave actually, but even if it doesn't, it only takes 2-3 seconds to access the menu and manually save anytime you want.

gothic and then gothic 2 with notr

Gothic 1 also has quicksave. It has to be activated in the ini file though.

A warning for both Gothic and G2:

The quicksave is not 100% stable. Also use normal save at least once per hour and make sure your char is not involved in any sort of interaction during the quicksave process. No dialogs, no combat, nothing.

Both games can be pimped with updated textures or an unlocked frame rate (Gothic).

Gothic 1 also has quicksave. It has to be activated in the ini file though.

A warning for both Gothic and G2:

The quicksave is not 100% stable. Also use normal save at least once per hour and make sure your char is not involved in any sort of interaction during the quicksave process. No dialogs, no combat, nothing.

Both games can be pimped with updated textures or an unlocked frame rate (Gothic).

I just purchased both games. Played and tinkered with both.

Gothic 2 you have to enable quicksave trough modifying ini file
Gothic 1 there is no such possibility.

Okay, then maybe I remembered it incorrectly. I thought the last Gothic patch added it.

The warning is correct, though. Be prepared if quicksave kills every 100th file. ;)

edit: There seems to be a difference between the GOG and retail versions. Quicksave indeed doesn't work in the GOG Gothic.

Just play G2 with the clumsy controls. Going back to Gothic later won't be a big deal, just 5 minutes for the trade interface.

Back
Top Bottom