New AAA Open World LOTR RPG in development

Grangokhan

Watchdog
http://news.softpedia.com/news/Midd...ngs-Game-from-Warner-Bros-Report-375683.shtml

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/warner-bros-working-on-aaa-lord-of-the-rings-game-6412971

It's a cross generation RPG being developed by Monolith Productions (F.E.A.R 1&2, Condemned 1&2, Guardians of Middle Earth). Considering their current track record for games it seems like they'll produce something enjoyable too though I believe this would be their first journey into RPG territory.

Not anything else is known other than the job listings and name, "Middle Earth: Shadow of Morder" but if it's a single player RPG which allows you to create your own character and jump around Middle Earth then it's what's everyone has been waiting for. (I realize LOTRO allows this but that's an MMO)

Despite some claims you often hear about LOTR games, there have been some great games. LOTR Return of the King was one of the few movie to game adaptions that was not only fun to play but scored highly. The Battle for Middle Earth series were great. War in the North was enjoyable and had solid combat mechanics. I understand LOTRO is regarded well too (although I could never get into it but then again, I don't really like MMO's).

All Monolith needs to do is build an open world like LOTRO's and add in War in the North combat (which they may be doing as Snowblind has merged with them) and they'll have a winner on their hands.

I'd be all over that, actually...

Sounds great. I've never been much of mmo player, so I've actually waited a long time for open world singleplayer rpg set in middle earth. This could be a dream game come true if done right, but better not get too excited of it yet :)

Yeah, I think the disappoint with previous LOTR games is less to do with them being poor and more that they simply didn't fulfil the huge potential that the LOTR books/films present.

Here's hoping for this one.

The normal edition is 19 dollars right? I guess it for someone who wants every possible character option.

LOTRO is already the ultimate LOTR RPG. I look forward to this as well, but if you guys want to experience an open-world Middle Earth that will probably be MUCH larger in scale than any game that comes after it set in the LOTR universe, check out LOTRO.

LOTRO is already the ultimate LOTR RPG. I look forward to this as well, but if you guys want to experience an open-world Middle Earth that will probably be MUCH larger in scale than any game that comes after it set in the LOTR universe, check out LOTRO.

Sorry Fluent I'll take this new RPG over LOTRO simply because one is a F2P MMO, and the other isn't. I don't mind playing F2P RPG's but they are not my first choice.:)

Having said that I'll keep my fingers crossed as the last game like this was cancelled. Anybody remember LOTR: The White Council?

Sorry Fluent I'll take this new RPG over LOTRO simply because one is a F2P MMO, and the other isn't. I don't mind playing F2P RPG's but they are not my first choice.:)

Yeah, being free sucks. I wish they'd charge me at all times. LOL.

Just kidding. I guess I see where you're coming from, but I've only spent like, $60 total on LOTRO and unlocked a ridiculous amount of content. I'm talking 300+ hours, easily, and that's just the time I spent with it. I have content unlocked that I didn't get to yet and even have 2500 points left over to buy even more. You get a nice bang for your buck in LOTRO, and it's all done extremely well.

And if you don't like F2P you can always subscribe and get access to all the content in the game (which will take you months and months of playing to even see half of it).

No fluent free doesn't bother me.;)

To use the cliche phrase there not my cup of tea. I'm more into solo content and exploring. I hardly ever group or do the group battles.

At least with TOR I got my fix so all F2P games are not bad.:)

Waiting for more information to emerge … the good news it's not an MMO (?). I would love a solo or party-based tactical RPG which is strongly story driven, and ties into Middle Earth lore. All they need to do is look at old MERPS modules/setting and read the books Tolkien wrote. I guess that since they said "LOTR" they mean more stomping about in territory that has already been done to death? No, I do not want to play as Gandalf or Aragorn. Unless it made sense (which it doesn't really - they are too well established) - I want some new hero I can build up, perhaps in one of the earlier epochs when the Witch King was at large or move tey story focus to some of the lands that were only hinted at. The Middle Earth setting is so vast and rich and all we get are games based on the movies.

No fluent free doesn't bother me.;)

To use the cliche phrase there not my cup of tea. I'm more into solo content and exploring. I hardly ever group or do the group battles.

At least with TOR I got my fix so all F2P games are not bad.:)

LOTRO is heavy on solo content and has amazing exploration.

Grouping is mostly optional. I can't say for sure (I don't remember) but I think you can reach level cap without grouping at all. They added a feature that gives you huge boosts to your stats in order to tackle what used to be strictly group content. You can do all that stuff solo now.

Amazing game. I urge any of you to check it out if you're even remotely interested in Middle Earth or LOTR lore. It's like a super-RPG. It's on a ridiculously large scale.

Yeah, being free sucks. I wish they'd charge me

I've only spent like, $60 total on LOTRO

Apparently, your wish is their command! I don't think I've ever spent $60 on a game. Maybe Rock Band with instruments and a bunch of extra tracks.

Last edited:
Apparently, your wish is their command! I don't think I've ever spent $60 on a game. Maybe Rock Band with instruments and a bunch of extra tracks.

For $60 I got access to all the content in the game (as said before, it's an absurd amount) for 3 months and also enough TP (Turbine points, store currency) to buy individual content for when that subscription ran out. So for $60 I got well over 300+ hours of fun and interesting content. I think that's a great deal.

I have a lifetime Lotro account and I haven't played it in maybe 2 years. There's only so many orcs, goblins, hobbits, and dwarves you can take… Its move to F2P and recycled content didn't help matters much either.

Having said that, this new game will likely hold no interest for me as it will also be tied down (yes, tied down) by the constraints of the lore.

"Lore" needn't be overly constrictive though. The KOTOR games, for example, showed how a rich universe with an utterly inflexible canon can still be used to tell fresh stories, so long as you steer relatively clear of the main protagonists/plot line.

Last edited:
Having said that, this new game will likely hold no interest for me as it will also be tied down (yes, tied down) by the constraints of the lore.

Tolkien PnP games like MERP never had a problem dealing with these restrictions.

Back
Top Bottom