Dragon Age 2 - News Roundup #7

You should look in the mirror sometime rune_74.

I agree completely with JDR13, you constantly allude to how everyone who doesn't share your opinion on Dragon Age II is wrong, and that anyone who doesn't like the game must be lying about having played it. And when you're called up on it, you pretend to be innocent.

Could you stop it please.

Oh geez, give it a break…don't even try and come in as a voice of reson, Jedi. Yeah, you have a totally neutral view of me. We both know you don't like me very much, and hey I don't really care.

Please stop telling me that my opinion doesn't count and can I stop…I bet I am almost famous on the codex now:)

been a couple years since you stalked me...

Ban rune_74.

Cool, I don't agree with you so I should be banned. Don't worry it's getting to the point where I don't really want to post here anymore...don't get me wrong there are a lot of great posters here, but your post? Seriously?

I'm not telling you to stop posting about your opinion of the game rune_74. What I'm asking you to do, politely might I add, is to stop insulting other people as you do so.

And I never stalked you. When the main developer of Iron Tower Studio posted his impressions of Fallout III back in October 2008, you accused him of having an agenda. I called you up on it, and you got upset.

I'm not telling you to stop posting about your opinion of the game rune_74. What I'm asking you to do, politely might I add, is to stop insulting other people as you do so.

And I never stalked you. When the main developer of Iron Tower Studio posted his impressions of Fallout III back in October 2008, you accused him of having an agenda. I called you up on it, and you got upset.

If thats what you remember, guess you forget following me over to basilisk games, I really don't care just pointing out you aren't some random innocent viewing things here;) I have no insulted anyone in this thread, if anything they insulted me. But, I don't share your views so yeah...we see where this is going.

Rune, would you please take into account that Ovenall, the first poster in this thread, had nothing but positive things to say about DA2...and nobody criticized, belittled, or disrespected his opinion? Your latest crusade has no value other than to turn yet another thread into a rune vs. the world argument/spam-fest.

On topic: thanks for the impressions, Ovenall. I am no longer interested in the game, as I have concluded that it is too unappealing/streamlined for me, but I'd like to hear more impressions from an objective player.

Alric: I too am confused about the region-locking practice. One would think that in the age of digital distribution, the region-specific unlock times would be outdated and unnecessary. Perhaps it has something to do with the physical copies? What I mean is that perhaps EA wants to make sure that every player in each specific region has access to the game at the same time, regardless of whether they own a physical or digital copy. Makes no sense to me, but that's the only theory I can come up with.

Yeah I belittled/criticized direspected people in this thread, thats it. Funny you didn't say anything about JDR's comment...I made a statement(one of fact) and got bashed for it, I also agreed with ovenall's comment.

Children, children, I'm getting sick and tired of this crap!! I'm tired of getting 5-6 complaining emails every day and sometimes twice a day. GROW UP!!!!! At least PRETEND you are adults.

i thought site mods were supposed to well..y'know...

... deal with it!

yeeeeeeeeeah!

btw, why are ppl complainin'? this is the site where a virtual pitchfork gets newcoverage, literally

I've played now for several hours as a rogue. It's a bit slow starting out as you are doing a bunch of tasks around the city to make money. But the amount of negativity directed towards this game is profoundly silly.

Yes it's simplified, and it's better to turn the difficulty up to Hard (who cares?). But it's a fun game that looks really nice and is very, very well done. Voice acting and directing isn't quite as good as Mass Effect 2 (which I think has the best voice acting of any game I've ever experienced), but it's still extremely well done.

You're missing out on a good game if you pass it up, but that's your choice of course.

I totally disagree, and unless a player is used to monotonous (enemies appearing from the edges of the screen) combat and not-free-to-play gameworld, I'd say its a major disapointment. Try a rogue and you will see what I mean when you approach a group of enemies in stealth. Shame.

here is a quote from the source known for its disrespect, and I totally agree with it
RPG ReviewsDragon Age: Origins was one of the best games ever created with full-scale castles, awesome tactical combat, excellent dialog and some of the best writing seen in any video games. Beyond that it had memorable characters and was pretty much the best RPG ever created since Baldurs Gate II ( and was the actual spiritual successor). Bioware, instead of continuing this tradition decided to take A BIG FUCKING SHIT on everyone who enjoyed the original and instead created the game based upon the retard-infested Call of Duty market and alienated everyone who liked the original. In turn, you get a watered down, poorly written, uninteresting stinking shit fest which tests not only your patience but your ability not stomp on small animals until they are dead. Dragon Age 2 is not just a let-down because of its predecessor but it is an all around terrible fucking game even on it's own right.

So everyone enjoyed the first game and it had incredible reviews with a metacritic score of 91 and incredibly high user score. The exact fucking opposite in this case with a score of 84 and a 3.0/10 for user reviews. You know some reviewer bullshit going on in the sense of PC Gamer being a fucking paid-off review site which will suck any game developers dick when they get enough money.

Dragon Age 2 had a lot to live up to when it came to the first game, however, if it kept most of the formula the same, improved some of the problems and graphics, and wrote a great continuation, there would have been no problem with the game being at minimum equal to the first. However, the real story is "STREAMLINED" it which basically means they took out everything EVERYONE liked and left the game as a hollow shell of what its predecessor and basically took a shit on all of its fans who supported them by purchasing. Here is a straight forward list of why this game is a piece of shit

Shit Graphics: The graphics in this game are a fucking step back considering that they are incredibly bland and uninteresting. The art design took a style to become more cartoony and JRPG looking and is a mash between western and and JRPG styles which comes off looking like shit on the overall scale. Different armors in this game simply look like a blend of stupid generic pieces of sharp metal rather the VASTLY unique different looking armors we were offered in Dragon Age Origins. Beyond this, the textures (even with the High-Res Texture pack which you have to download separately) are absolute ass and when tessellation is enabled the game runs like shit and yet still manages to look worse than the first game. It is like they outsourced the development of the assets to some shit Chinese company who is better suited at putting poison in shitty toys to kill small children.

Woefully Retarded OTT Animations: Dragon Age Origins had excellent combat animations with the standard fighting moves being fancy enough to look actually real and vicious while still keeping a gritty tone to them. THIS GAME FUCKS THAT IN THE ASS. Now you get mages shooting fireballs from between their legs while doing blackflips and Hawke is doing whirlwinds left and right and hitting thousands of enemies at once in ridiculous flashy and stupid looking animations. Yeah, way to keep the serious fucking tone of the game when my rogue is jumping around the game like a fucking monkey stabbing people all around the map. Way to go dipshits

"Streamlined" Combat: Basically, all that Streamlined combat means is they made it fucking easy for dipshits who don't actually know how to play a game, i.e. Console players with stupid controllers. I was playing on Nightmare and the game requires absolutely no tactical thought or pausing at all. The spiritual successor combat of Baldurs Gate had a big shit rammed down its throat and we basically got a fucking BUTTON MASHER. You just press your stupid moves to kill darkspawn and/or various humans and the flashy graphics just play and somehow everything ends up dead. The stupidest part of the combat is you attack groups at a time, so enemies with fucking RESPAWN in front of you while in the middle of battle. That's right, to attempt to add some sort of stupid challenge, Bioware decided to make it so random enemies willl just POP OUT OF THE AIR and attack you in another group. If you play with the combat for more than 30 minutes you will become absolutely bored because even the flashly graphics don't help the game when it is a fucking BUTTON MASHER.

Terrible User Interface: Gone is the beautiful wood looking interface that you got in DA:O that was functional and extremely usable and was instead replaced with WHITE ON BLACK. The inventory which used to be a detailed Tome that you would open is not replaced by WHITE TEXT ON BLACK BACKGROUND. It looks like a fucking iPad reject interface that Steve Jobs would have pissed out if he was a retarded down syndrome infested child. They clearly did NO user testing and instead with their 12 month development cycle, just farted out the first thing that came to mind and everyone suffers for it.

Boring Characters and Dialog: The first five minutes of the game you are stuck playing as a Human considering that ALL the origin stories are now gone which added replay and differences to the game and you are stuck with shitty human companions. One of them is your sister who DIES thankfully because her writing was terrible. You get a stupid dwarf who looks like some fat mobster from the 80s wearing a sweat suit with his chest hair flaring out. Yeah, that is great character design. These characters have absolutely NOTHING interesting to offer the game, nothing they say is even remotely interesting, their backgrounds are bland, and beyond that the love story in this game is LAUGHABLE. Beyond that, they replaced the standard text with a dialog wheel FOR RETARDS. Seriously the whole fucking game the only replies you can make are HAPPY, FUNNY, BAD. Oh wow, how INTERESTED, yeah it really sucks me into the game when my stupid replies are the same stupid set of three options everytime. Whoever did the writing for this game needs to have his fucking eyes swatted by a cat because no matter which characters speaks it is just so uninteresting that it makes my testicles hurt.

Kirkwall is fucking dead: The whole game takes place instead the city of Kirkwall which is about as interactive as a dead gold fish. The city is just a repeatable sea of brown that you run through THE WHOLE FUCKING GAME. There is literally NO ONE in the city that you can talk to and interact with. You just run around a CORRIDOR city. Seriously the game feels like you are running down a fucking corridor the whole time instead of actually exploring big city areas. You end up going to the same fucking areas multiple times just to do the same boring 50 quests over and over. That is pretty much all the game consists of is you going, I NEED MONEY, and doing 50 shitty side quests that appear in the same pre-fabricated area. Yeah, that is about as interesting as counting blades of grass. There is NO interactivity in this game whatsoever.

The Story is Atrocious : Seriously, this game has absolutely nothing to fucking do with the previous two games which were released (Origins/Awakening). It is just you running around as Hawke going I NEED MONEY TO DO STUFF until some bullshit happens that you don't care about. The narrative isn't interesting, it isn't gripping. Hell, I've taken a dump that was my gripping in this game as I thought I might die, in this game, you are expecting a story to be like a million dollar fireworks show but instead you get fucking snakes and sparklers.

That pretty much covers everything as they fucking gutted the original game to release a turd in disguise to swindle people out of their fucking money. This is MORE than obvious when there is a shit ton of fucking DLC which comes out on DAY ONE instead of being included with the game. This was just a bullshit money grubbing scheme to help fund their stupid MMO. Bioware FUCKED DRAGON AGE and ruined the whole fucking series. They literally have one option which is to pretend this sequel never fucking existed and release a NEW and BETTER Dragon Age 2 instead of this shit.
0/10
Now as a quick side note, it is obvious by looking at Metacritic that the reviews were paid off. With sites like PC GAMER AGAIN stating that this is better than the original in every single way. FUCK YOU PC GAMER, you cock sucking low fucking assholes. You are the bane of real reviews and help to fuck people out of money by causing them to buy shit instead of providing real reviews to people. You are the lowest, greedy, cum swapping dick sucking assholes and you deserve to have your fucking shitty headquarters burned down where you print your bullshit greedy lies on paper.

Seriously, look at Metacritic, the game is scoring 7 and 8s with only shitty review sites like XBOX Magazine giving it 9s and 10s. The Escapist is another shitbag as well who praised the game with LIES. You can smell the fucking money just changing hands. Bioware must have spent all their fucking money paying off reviewers instead of actually putting it into the game. If you look at the users reviews they are almost UNANIMOUSLY negative against the game on PC, PS3 and 360 because real users are NOT PAID OFF like those fuckers writing this shit. All review websites should be on your fucking shit list. Fuck you guys. Dragon Age 2 was fucked by Bioware and we the consumers got a big fucking dick up the ass. This game is a fucking abomination.

Update 3/11/2011: We know have OFFICIAL confirmation from the composer for the music score that the game was a turd. He says, ""Unlike other titles from Bioware, this was kind of a rush job", he tells IGN. "EA really wanted to capitalize on the success of Origins, so the game was really being pushed hard to be released now." There you fucking have it...they caved into shitty EA pressure and the game is now a rush job turd fest which basically means they stole our money. Beyond that, they also banned a guy for insulting EA for being a piece of shit and he can no longer use his game. Bioware has OFFICIALLY gone the way of Westwood.

As for the low scores 6.0/10, if I were Laidlaw I'd be interested in why the reviews were that low. Eurogamer, Gamespot and the major german sites all gave DA2 decent scores around 8/10 or so. However, it is the lower scores, developers learn from.

However, I will say this:
Scores do not amount to much anymore. As long as Eurogamer and some other sites use the scores the way they do. Eurogames is famous for its very harsh review practises, I think. A 8.0 from Eurogamer is maybe the same as a 9.5 game from another site, perhaps.

Many of the (bad) reviews fro DA2 complain about the gameplay a lot, but fail to point out where this game actually seems to shine - in the story, in the choice and consequence department, in the characters and the relations between them. Some reviews like the German ones highligths this, while also talking about the not so good aspects of the game.

And try to lay off the personal attacks. Please.

So, is that the best you can do? I tried to settle it with you, I did even reached out. But you constantly try to egg me into reacting to infantile comments. The amount of backlash is crazy, it's getting silly. It's a fact. It's also a fact the most vocal haven't even played the game, Fact.

I'm shocked at the double standards some people have with regardes to who can post in each thread…every bioware thread the first three posters are JDR, Alrik and SAGO(isn't nice to be on the same boat with him.) I'm not saying you can't have your opinions but don't be surprised when others have theirs.

are you saying that i have double standards? think i'm an extremely butthurt biowear fanboy/employee/david von larper/mike paidfor/dr gay muzayka (gunna get banned for making a gay joke! so mature, guise) trying to troll those that have taste (hate anything churned out be ea-vision) by being an X-treme caricature of them, thus painting them in a negative colour?

well i would have you know that your wraung! WRAUNG! jesus man (gunna get banned by corwin cuz i said the lawds name in vain!), the ppl on this site are either masterful trolls or are mentally and socially inept adults who cannot into thinking and think that everone that makes a negative review of their favourite games without a typing big review anaylising everything to be a troll.

just mah 2 cents

are you saying that i have double standards? think i'm an extremely butthurt biowear fanboy/employee/david von larper/mike paidfor/dr gay muzayka (gunna get banned for making a gay joke! so mature, guise) trying to troll those that have taste (hate anything churned out be ea-vision) by being an X-treme caricature of them, thus painting them in a negative colour?

well i would have you know that your wraung! WRAUNG! jesus man (gunna get banned by corwin cuz i said the lawds name in vain!), the ppl on this site are either masterful trolls or are mentally and socially inept adults who cannot into thinking and think that everone that makes a negative review of their favourite games without a typing big review anaylising everything to be a troll.

just mah 2 cents

And some of you want me banned, wow. Have good weekend guys, enjoy playing if you are, and if your not I hope you find something that you like. We are all gamers after all.

DA2 simply isn´t a good game, plain and simple.
It´s a failure as a sequel to DA:O, it´s a failure as a standalone.
Good premise - botched execution, quantity > quality, etc.
Seriously rushed job indeed.

Every time I see somebody saying that DA2 is worst then DA:O, I actually wonder how the hell these people could have liked DA:O in the first lace. Both game have the exact same gameplay and flaws. I'm not sure what it actually mean about DA:O.

Maybe DA:O wasn't that great in the first place and lots of people got too stuck up in nostalgia to notice? Or maybe some people just don't want to like DA2, because hating BioWare is cool or something?

So far, my personal opinion is that DA2 is a major improvement over DA:O and I'm actually playing the full game...

I see some things aren't going to end…
Think it will last longer than the Oblivion raving? I'm thinking it will.

P.S. akourbat's post was also posted on the 3D Vision topic about DA2. Can't even talk about what settings to turn on and off without getting some stupid tripe about how all the review sites in the world are paid off.

However, I will say this:
Scores do not amount to much anymore. As long as Eurogamer and some other sites use the scores the way they do. Eurogames is famous for its very harsh review practises, I think. A 8.0 from Eurogamer is maybe the same as a 9.5 game from another site, perhaps.

So, a 9/10 for Dragon Age: Origins - Awakening (PC) from Eurogamer would be a 10.5 (or maybe 11?) from another site?
Probably not ;) as metacritic average = 82

So, I'm sorry but it doesn't work that way.
You can always pick and choose, for example:

Magicka (PC): Eurogamer - 8/10; PC Gamer UK - 69/100; Game Spot - 7/10
Disciples III: Renaissance (PC): Eurogamer - 7/10; PC Gamer - 65/100; Game Spot - 5.5/10

Many of the (bad) reviews fro DA2 complain about the gameplay a lot, but fail to point out where this game actually seems to shine - in the story, in the choice and consequence department, in the characters and the relations between them. Some reviews like the German ones highligths this, while also talking about the not so good aspects of the game.

the low score 6/10 review from Edge (xbox 360 version tested) do mention both the gameplay and the story (and a talented team of writers:)), however I wouldn't call it a good review anyway.

First post here. Hello everone.

I've been following RPGWatch for a few weeks now. Seeing the reaction towards DA2 sure is interesting.

But first off, I did some checking up on this comment:
It seems EA forum bans might limit your access to your games. It's worth pointing out the original poster is being a bit disingenuous (check out his original account - I'd say the homophobic comments are the real problem) about the cause but it does seem EA can block your game access. Here's the thread and part of Stanley Woo's response:

I am not sure how offensive his removed posts were in this thread , but he says that he is homosexual himself, so his remarks were probably not homophobic. However, I think one can assume that he was temp-banned for his posts in that thread. Afterall, the thread was closed by a mod and parts of his posts removed. There is also another thread this guy made, apparently defending Bioware and calling for sane criticism, which might have resulted in users abusing the report button, which then could have resulted in an EA employee banning him. This would be quite ironic.

However I still think this incident is getting way too much press, because it is just a temp-ban. It's not like he wasted 50$ of his money, but a lot of news posts make this look like Bioware/EA were silencing criticism by dictatorial means. It's an unjust slap on the wrist, nothing more, nothing less. Don't get me wrong, I am wary of the potential of abuse inherent in combining gaming accounts with a social network. I cancelled my SC2 preorder because of RealID. But banning people from playing their games for bad behavior, is something I definitely applaud. I have played way too many multiplayer games with people who just lacked basic manners. And this is just a case of someone using the banhammer probably without even knowing that game access would be restricted, too.

Now to the main part.

I don't own DA2 yet, and I won't buy it right now, but that's simply because I don't have enough money at the moment. Actually, DA2 is one of the few games I am incredibly excited about and I am definitely planning on buying it in the near future, with the exact date depending on the quality and the amount of the DLC. But I also haven't finished DA:O yet, so buying it now would be wasteful.

Basically, I find the major points of criticism ridiculous. However, I can see that some people might really prefer the traditional High Fantasy style of DA:O. I don't really care one way or another. It really depends on the content itself. And DA:O doesn't really shine in that area either. A lot of the side quests by Chantry, Mage Collective or Irregulars feel tacked on. The game presents freedom of choice, but does indeed have an ideal linear route. The moral choices I have seen so far are interesting but not realised to their full potential. Combat is clumsy, Warriors are boring because of the lack of adrenaline and except for positioning offer little tactical use. Skills are horribly imbalanced and mages overpowered, to the point where the real difficulty level is not determined by setting but by party composition.

In my opinion streamlining was a good decision. Adding more class/skill combos was a good decision. Confining the story to a single city was a good decision. Focussing on the main character's rise to power was a good decision.

The real question is whether Bioware was able to succesfully cope with a narrowed focus. So far, the answer seems to be not quite, but still good enough.

Personally, I'd rather have a good Bioware game every 1-2 years than a good a party based Bioware RPG every 4-5 years.
azarhal said:
Maybe DA:O wasn't that great in the first place and lots of people got too stuck up in nostalgia to notice? Or maybe some people just don't want to like DA2, because hating BioWare is cool or something?
I think it's a combination of both. A lot of people played the original Bioware RPGs when they were in their impressionable youth and have gone on to become somewhat elitist in their hobby, yet have never realized that cRPGs are really not something to be elitist about. Most of these people never revisited the Baldur's Gate games with a more critical eye and now they basically live in denial of their own youthful naivity. So, maybe to not feel the shame of being "tricked" as a youth, they now picture old Bioware and new Bioware as fundamentally different.

@ rune_74 - is it possible JDR's first post in this thread was a general comment, rather than directed at you? That's how I took it.

@ porcozaur - any message you might have is lost in the hyperbole. Worse that PS2 graphics? I'm not a big fan of the art changes but anyone can see they don't look that bad. "Derpified" might work on other sites but it's not a real word, so I stopped paying attention to the rest of your post.

@ akourbat, you seriously re-posted the entire article that was linked in the OP? Nice trolling. The link is there - if we're interested, we'll go read it. Again, too much hyperbole to take seriously.

@ Tilean, appreciate the reasonable post, even if I don't agree with everything. Perhaps that guy's original comments weren't technically homophobic but he infers another poster is gay, as I read it. Anyone who does that on a gaming forum isn't worth reading.

That Worthplaying review is actually very spot-on. Though I like the game and am having fun playing it I think their comments and score are about right.

Eurogamer: I've seen scores as low as a 6/10 - what do you think when you read those?
Mike Laidlaw: Well it's hard to know exactly what's going on with scores that are really, really negative.

As a handy (and today quite futile) reference point, I always think of x/10 scores on "the Fallout scale":

1. Very Bad
  2. Bad
  3. Poor
  4. Fair
  5. Average
  6. Good
  7. Very Good
  8. Great
  9. Excellent
  10. Heroic

Obviously, game review scores crack me up :) However, once I become the Dictator of Universe, be prepared to have this list tattooed on all game journalists' hands :p

Because seriously, if the trend continues, soon 8/10 will be "really, really negative". A few years later, 9/10 will mean "absolute crap game". And the pinnacle will be reached when each reviewed game automatically gets 10/10, and what the reviewer really thinks of the game can only be found out if you drive to their house and refuse to leave until they tell you.

If you look closely at this thread, you'll see how the timing of event went:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/6433210/1

It is, in fact another user, that first calls him a 'homosexual'. It could well be that the text parser, EA has in place, picks or flags the word gay - and deems this profanity. And just hands out a temporary ban for 72 hours for his EA account, not the Bioware account. Either a) there has been something wrong in the forum software of b) a person at EA did not know the difference between an EA account and a Bioware account, an account of the Bioware forums that is. This is what the user said:

I'm not offended by "YOU ARE GAY" comments anymore. After a while it just gets sad and uncreative.
(this is a direct quote from the thread).

And I'm more and more sure that it is the use of the word 'gay' that did get him banned as this word could is probably flagged as 'profanity' by the text parser at EA. As for banning people from playing (or in this case activating!) their game, is not cool, not at least because this did happen because of a forum post made by the user. In multiplayer games, where you communicate over the net, it is something else entirely.

As for my comments on the Eurogamer review, I just meant that Eurogamer is like notoriously famous for not giving at the door (this is a Danish expression meaning that they're really really tight with handing out very good scores). So is the German and French sites, it seems.

As I've often said, it is a real shame to see how the review system and the review scores have been abused over the years. 10 years ago, a 7 or even 7.5 was considered to be a great review score. Today 9 seems to be the new 7.0 as 8 seems to be the new 6 at least when it comes down to the review scores.

As for text parters, think in the broader perspective: What if goverments had access to this? (oh - wait - they do!). This would mean that each government in the world would be able to monitor every webpage in the world, flagging every word that deemed to be dangerous. Just like EA apparently reserves the right to be doing as for their Terms Of Service. On a more general perspective, it seems that big corporations like EA slowly are undermining the consumer's legal rights by making customers i.e. gamers agree to EA's terms if they wish to play a game published by EA.

Back
Top Bottom