Skyrim Skyrim Half Price Sale

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

darklord

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Skyrim is on a half price sale (UK at least), this means it's topped the charts as everyone rushes out to buy it!

It is kind of annoying though that we had to pay full price and within just one month it's massively discounted...

Daniel.

If they would have offered me the chance to play it a month early for $25, I would have jumped at the chance. Especially after all the previews. I'm quite glad that I've been playing it for a month already and wouldn't give that up for a few bucks.

True, that being said if Bethesda had advertised pre launch that they would be halving the price within a month, how many people would have chosen to wait? You expect such a discount in 6 months to a couple of years, 30 days is a bit much…

Daniel.

No it's a great game, I'm glad I got it. I would have waited a month if I had known the price would drop so quickly however.

Daniel.

I wonder why they decided to drop the price though? Sure, there are numerous bugs which still need to be fixed but Skyrim sale figures look excellent. If they dropped prices for PS3 only I would understand but overall price drop?

Trying to keep sales figures up for longer. Bean counters are obsessed with such things :)

Trying to keep sales figures up for longer. Bean counters are obsessed with such things :)

This must be the time where the first wave of second hand sales would begin.

Both things are very true - the ability to have something on the Top 10 list across platforms is critical to impulse and gift buying, so spot-sales on certain platforms and in certain markets to prop up sales numbers is a very good strategy ... because it is shown to then lead to more full priced sales.

And sadly 2011 was *not* the year companies stopped treating used games like piracy ...

And sadly 2011 was *not* the year companies stopped treating used games like piracy …
Well, until those companies realize that, after I fork out the money, it is MY game/video and I can do with it what I damn please, their anti-piracy crusade will never get public support they hope for.

Well, until those companies realize that, after I fork out the money, it is MY game/video and I can do with it what I damn please, their anti-piracy crusade will never get public support they hope for.

While I agree with your sentiment on the matter, unfortunately we can't do what we please with a lot of newer titles. At least not without jumping through a lot of hoops. I recently tried to give away a bunch of boxed games I no longer wanted, only to realize that many of them were useless to anyone else due to being tied to my Steam or GFWL accounts.

unfortunately we can't do what we please with a lot of newer titles.
That's my point JDR. If people can't do as they please with games they payed for, how many might decide to cut the crap and get cracked copies where no such limits apply?

That's my point JDR. If people can't do as they please with games they payed for, how many might decide to cut the crap and get cracked copies where no such limits apply?

Hmm.. not quite what I was talking about. Getting a cracked copy doesn't address the situation of not being able to give away a used game.

I understand what you're saying though, and I agree 100%. We should be able to do whatever we please with a game we that we paid retail price for, and that includes being able to give it to someone else if we want.

with a game we that we paid retail price for

But remember that you aren't buying it, you are licensing it.

I really, really hope someone takes this whole thing through court. Implicit licenses are bad.

Since we are just leasing it, price should be adjusted accordingly.

But I can afford to buy a blockbuster film/series on DVD?

How do they explain console resales? If you buy a console copy is that a 'license' too? If so, why is it they can be rented and resold without limitation? If not, why are pc sales being discriminated?

How do they explain console resales? If you buy a console copy is that a 'license' too? If so, why is it they can be rented and resold without limitation? If not, why are pc sales being discriminated?

That's actually a very good question. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that the profit margin is so much less with PC games to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom