Do you abstain from paying $60 for PC games?

Drithius

Magic & Loss
With two major PC titles in the past few months, SC2 & DA2, having an introductory list price of $60, do you personally choose to refrain from paying this amount on general principle?

Console games have long been $60 but that price includes a $10 licensing fee paid to the console manufacturer. In my opinion, there is no point beyond greed to pass on this same surcharge to PC gamers.

So, do you choose to wait it out or buy a $60 game immediately?

New games in Sweden go for $111.

Sure. I pay $11 to see a movie that lasts an hour and a half. I generally average at least 30 hours in a game, so it's much more bang for the buck than a movie. Games are still cheap.

Inflation should have made games way more than $60 by now... I have no problem paying that much for a quality game.

If I think the game is worth supporting, I don't really care. As long as it's within a common sense range.

I paid around 100$ for Dominions 3 - for instance, thinking it was worth it and I wanted to support the developers.

Unfortunately, I couldn't get into it - but I don't regret the purchase.

Inflation should have made games way more than $60 by now… I have no problem paying that much for a quality game.

I remember when Ultima VI came out, Origin originally tried to bump the price up to $69.99. That was 1990. It seems like games have hit a bit of a ceiling between $49-59. I remember the Sierra games costing $35, but most of the Origin ones starting out at $49.

Personally, I have no problem paying ~$50 for a quality game, its just that I'm so backlogged on games, that by the time I get around to buying them, they are on sale for $9.99 to $14.99. My wife bought my Civ V for my birthday last year, so I assume that she paid full boat for it, but other than that, the last game I probably paid that much for was BG2.

That said, if they made a new IE game with joinable party members, I'd gladly rush out and pay $59.99 on day one!

I very seldom buy $60.00 games these days not because of the lack of value but because I've put a three month minimum don't buy rule on myself.

Strictly for having been burned on so many games over the years that just weren't ready for release when they first hit, recent games this rule saved me from were Elemental and Diciples3 and it was hard to hold myself back on these two having been very pumped over both, but in the end glad I did.

And in doing this I do end up with games that have been all patched up or a new version of the game comes out(Div2 DKS, Witcher:Enhanced Edition) and in some cases all DLC's added(Fallout3 GotY Edition, Dragon Age Ultimate Edition)and the ironic part about it all is most of the time I get these new and improved games for a lot less than the original price.

I spent 69.99 for Might and Magic 7 when it was brand new. I kinda was annoyed, but that was that I guess.

Nowadays, I would never spend that kind of money on a game. And with the price points creeping back up there with 59.99 being EA's new thing, well, gaming can go to hell. The $27 I spent on DKS was well spent, though.

Last edited:
$60 seems like a reasonable price for a game to me.

I remember when Ultima VI came out, Origin originally tried to bump the price up to $69.99. That was 1990. It seems like games have hit a bit of a ceiling between $49-59. I remember the Sierra games costing $35, but most of the Origin ones starting out at $49.

There were a lot of games in the old days that were more than $50. Pretty much any game with FMV was more expensive when CD gaming started. I was looking through my box for Under a Killing Moon the other day and noticed a catalog inside which shows it as costing $79.99. A lot of SNES games, especially RPGs, were $70 or more. Blizzard and id have been charging $60 for a while now, before the Xbox 360 even came out.

So... $60 is not some shock to me.

I don't but probably should. I'm staring at about 100 games on my bookshelf all paid full price since late 90's. Of them i've finished baulders gate series, icewind dale series(several times),neverwinter nights series, toee and fear 1. Started most of them several times over and over and plyed them for many hours but, can never seem to finish them.

There were a lot of games in the old days that were more than $50. Pretty much any game with FMV was more expensive when CD gaming started. I was looking through my box for Under a Killing Moon the other day and noticed a catalog inside which shows it as costing $79.99. A lot of SNES games, especially RPGs, were $70 or more. Blizzard and id have been charging $60 for a while now, before the Xbox 360 even came out.

Yep, I definitely remember paying $60-$70 for games like Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy 3 for the SNES. In fact, the original Phantasy Star for the Sega Master System was around $70 when it was first released.

For me, it depends a lot on the genre. I have no problem paying $60+ for a decent RPG. On the other hand, a pure shooter would have to be exceptional for me to pay that much.

I don't abstain. But the game must be very special.
Usually,that's what I pay for flight/combat sims. But there's a great replaybility with that genre.
I'd pay $70 for BG3.

For games that I think I will really like, I will pay full price without thinking twice. Games that are so-so I will wait until the price drops. How far the game's price has to drop depends on the game.

Price is pretty irrelevant to me (within reason). My time is worth a lot. I'm happy to pay $60 for a game that is worth my time and, likewise, I don't care how cheap a mediocre game is - I have better things to do.

Wait a month or two, and it drops twenty bucks. Nope, other than Piranha Bytes games, I don't buy on release if it's more than $39.

Back
Top Bottom