Any of you guys run linux?

There's also a clause in the MacOS EULA that says you're not allowed to install it on hardware that doesn't come from Apple.

There is ? Sounds almost like Microsoft ... ;)

*ducks & runs away*

There is ? Sounds almost like Microsoft ... ;)

*ducks & runs away*
I think that Apple uses many business practices that are only seen as acceptable because you don't hit the small guy ;).

Anyway, I think that an unhacked OS X looks for a ROM chip with EFI on it on your computer and will simply refuse to run if it doesn't find that chip.

I think that Apple uses many business practices that are only seen as acceptable because you don't hit the small guy ;).

Yes, it is so.

I read a comparison of the busioness practises of both Microsoft & Apple several months ago in the German magazine called c't .

The result was indeed, that there are several heavy similarities.

And only because Apple is so much smaller, these business practices are tolerated.

I ran Ubuntu 7.04 for about a year, and I loved it.

Unlike many, I had no problems getting either my old eVGA nVidia 7800GT to work, or a Soundblaster Live 24bit that I had in about a dozen different computers over the years. It was pretty much set up in about an hour, without any fiddling.

I also had no trouble getting a good few freeware games running, but as far as commercial stuff you're SOL. I basically only had my old DOS collection and that's it.

Prior to that, I tried openSUSE 10.1 and 10.2, both of which were unable to run sound, 90% of the programs that were designed for them, or even internet.

In the end, I missed wiz8 and Steel Panthers too much. I'm back on WinXP, and feel like a dirty prostitute. It took me a while to get it working, and I still need a new CD/DVD drive. But I got Wizardry Gold installed (can't find my old Wiz7 backup, and my original Wiz7 copy is on a 3.5", which I don't even have a floppy drive), as well as HOMM I & II. And Doom. So I'm happy, sort of. I'll probably set up a dual-boot on my extra partition; with Ubuntu 7.10. Or maybe I'll try another flavor of Linux.

One thing I learned is that Wine barely works, and the devs have no interest in actually developing it, caring solely for the commercial version that was built off of Wine. Bugs posted are ignored and closed without regards to what caused them. And then they expect me to pay them for a commercial version which they also fail to support? So don't even bother bringing that POS up. Linux has games, but they are generally not of the caliber graphically at least or in fit and finish as Windows or Mac games are. Even the freeware stuff lags somewhat behind in most cases.

Well, as I already said, Neverwinter Nights can be run on Linux without Wine or anything else, so there are a few games other than old DOS ones for Linux around. Look here for instructions.

Of course, you are out of luck with most of the newer games, because nearly all of them depend on a proprietary MS standard (DirectX). OpenGL is not really up to date anymore.

Back
Top Bottom