Fave city trip Europe?

O

Omega

I'm thinking of a 'short' city trip, Europe, 7 days, hotel, outside high season.

What's your favourite European city? Why? Remarkable, notable things to do, to see, to experience, to eat?

Well, I am going to assume you already visited Paris, definitely my favorite city in Europe, if you disregard 2 Swedish cities of course :D but I am going to assume you don't like it too cold.... in that case Swedish cities are better to visit in spring / summer.

I guess I am assuming a lot ? let me know if you are interested in any of the above and I can give you more info.

So give us more info, and we can give you more info :)

I like Prague - though I'm not sure it's my favorite.

Beautiful "old-style" city with a lot of sights, and lots of cheap but fantastic beer :)

For summertime, I consider Norway THE most beautiful place on earth, or rather that I've seen - but it's expensive and it's not summer yet :)

Not sure about favorite cities there, but I like the places I visted like Kongsberg (checking out an abandoned silvermine) and Bergen (quaint harbor city). I'm mostly into nature - and that's where Norway really shines.

No clubbing, bars or McDonalds for me.
Things I like: modern art, historic places and museums, nature. Good restaurants, every now and then one with regional specialities. Music: classical, world, acoustic. Theater, yes. I've rarely seen a musical but I'm open to suggestions.

I was thinking about spring, early summer or early fall - in winter I'll visit London (2nd time - any suggestions though? Weird places I should visit?). I don't mind summer other than prices tend to go up during that season and places of interest are difficult to see thanks to the swarming tourists.

Last year I've been to Paris (for the 3rd time) and Brugge (Belgium, a weekend). I live in The Netherlands, but if someone's really enthusiastic about all sorts of places in Amsterdam, I'll go, this year or next year, but maybe a weekend though. :)

I'm not very fond of flying* or climbing. So I'm not sure about Bergen. :) Prague, yes, I've been thinking of that one, heard some enthusiastic stories about it. Hm, Budapest, did not think of that one. I'll look into it. :)
Sweden and Norway are definitely on my holiday list, but not for a simple city trip though, because of the distance I'd like to spend more time: two or three weeks. So yes, please tell me the places I must visit, the things I must experience and the stuff I must eat/drink. (Are mosquitos a curse?)

O and if anyone's planning to visit my country. You really should go to a wellness center, a whole day, from 11.00 - 23.00 hrs. Several saunas, hammam, jaccuzzi, swimming pools, herbal baths, restaurant. Mixed, so open to men and women, some have one special day for women only. In most of the centers you're expected to leave your swimming gear at home, you'll get a bath robe in case you get cold or when visiting the restaurant.

For some time now I've been exploring wellness centers abroad. Did not visit a hammam in Paris, I thought prices were a bit absurd, the quality hammams that is.
So if you know a fine place to go during my city trip or holiday, please tell me. :)

Edit:
* Preferably train, car, boat

Last edited:
There are enough delusional people in the world without wellness to encourage them :)

Hm, because it was mentioned in the last paragraph wellness seems to be the most important thing to me. It isn't. The emphasis is on the first paragraph:
modern art, historic places and museums, nature. Good restaurants, every now and then one with regional specialities. Music: classical, world, acoustic. Theater, yes. I've rarely seen a musical but I'm open to suggestions.

I like the odd thing out.

Hm, because it was mentioned in the last paragraph wellness seems to be the most important thing to me. It isn't. The emphasis is on the first paragraph:
modern art, historic places and museums, nature. Good restaurants, every now and then one with regional specialities. Music: classical, world, acoustic. Theater, yes. I've rarely seen a musical but I'm open to suggestions.

I like the odd thing out.

Well, those things are great - so that makes sense.

Perhaps a bit trying-hard-to-be-cultural - but nobody's perfect ;)

No clubbing, bars or McDonalds for me.
Things I like: modern art, historic places and museums, nature. Good restaurants, every now and then one with regional specialities. Music: classical, world, acoustic. Theater, yes. I've rarely seen a musical but I'm open to suggestions.

Modern Art is one thing I don't know about.
Historic Places and museums: If this is really one of your interests then I have to say Rome ! When I went there I was in the city for a week of just visiting places, there's so much to see: Coliseum, Forums, Old Churches, Ghetto of Rome, ...
Closer to the Netherlands, I would say Berlin & Potsdam, just several hours drive. Lots of modern history: Potsdam is where the Allied leaders met to decide how to divide the world amongst themselves. Berlin itself has lots of history and I would even be able to recommend a cheapish motel/hotel. There's a lot of museums, both for art and history. It's a very nice city.

Good restaurants you would find everywhere, best bet would be to just google what you want to eat. Most places now have restaurant indices online.

Music: Berlin for live music. Rome for classical.

Theater: That would be London hands down I believe, unless you understand French. Same for musicals. London also has history, but since parts of London have been bombed quite heavily, you wouldn't see much of it. Lots of museums too for both art and history, including a good one for modern art, I forgot the name, but I can ask my sister for the name.

Musicals: If you've never seen one then I would suggest the Lion King. It's quite good.

By the way, are u going on your own or with a family, girlfriend, boyfriend, .... ?

I was thinking about spring, early summer or early fall - in winter I'll visit London (2nd time - any suggestions though? Weird places I should visit?). I don't mind summer other than prices tend to go up during that season and places of interest are difficult to see thanks to the swarming tourists.

There's the British Museum, not very weird, but tons of history there (literally). The London Dungeon is quite good too, might be scary if you're going with young kids. Oh yeah, if Lion King is not your cup of tea, then Chicago is apparently quite good, but when I went to see it (well, when my parents dragged me out) I was about 8 or 9 years old and I fell asleep, but my mom really enjoyed it.

If you prefer theatre, then Agatha Christie's The Mousetrap is quite good and so is the Woman in Black.

If Mayumana is in town I would really recommend to see them, but they do tour Europe, so you might have seen them.

Last year I've been to Paris (for the 3rd time) and Brugge (Belgium, a weekend). I live in The Netherlands, but if someone's really enthusiastic about all sorts of places in Amsterdam, I'll go, this year or next year, but maybe a weekend though. :)

If you haven't you should go to Antwerp, there's quite a lot of artsy stuff as well as some history. I wouldn't say for a whole week, but you can definitely do stuff for 3-4 days and then I would say you could do 3-4 days in Brussels too. So that would be your week.
There's actually theatre in Antwerp and Brussels too as well as quite a few places with Live Music, but I haven't been for a while, so if you are going, tell me in advance and I would try and find out for both Brussels and Antwerp from friends.

So, nearby and accessible by train and/or car : Antwerp/Brussels, Berlin or London are my favorites.
Pricewise: Antwerp is very cheap compared to most other places. Brussels and Berlin are quite similar to each other, I think and London is about twice the price of Antwerp.

If you want more details on some of this just ask :)

No offense here, but Antwerp and Brussels... I have visited Brussels several times with different company... and what I got most of the time was "How can this be the center of the European union" + "the greatest tourist attraction is a peeing guy?"... I'd probably not spend a week there.

As for Antwerp... they have looooots of nice diamonds there.. and also some sites to see like a beautiful cathedral... but I also don't feel it is a 7 days location. Perhaps locals will have better tips than what I got though.

No offense here, but Antwerp and Brussels… I have visited Brussels several times with different company… and what I got most of the time was "How can this be the center of the European union" + "the greatest tourist attraction is a peeing guy?"… I'd probably not spend a week there.

As for Antwerp… they have looooots of nice diamonds there.. and also some sites to see like a beautiful cathedral… but I also don't feel it is a 7 days location. Perhaps locals will have better tips than what I got though.

None taken, also why I suggested only 3-4 days in each.

If you go with people who know the place, you get to see more stuff. It's the little things that matter, including knowing the right places to eat. There's a lot more to Brussels than the peeing kid :D
There's a very nice art museum on Margritte as well as a museum on Belgian history. Walking around town in Brussels can take you a whole day especially if you like architecture, since there's a bunch of different styles...
There's a good museum of modern art too I think.

Even if you make a plan and see not all of it is to your liking, it's only 45 mins drive to the beach in Knokke, so if you go on a nice week, you can just go swimming one day :)

Antwerp has quite a lot to see. I prefer Antwerp to Brussels and would easily make a 3-4 day program for almost anyone. History, art, music, food, diamonds...

If you like nature, Norway is to place to be! Fjords, huge mountains, valleys, lakes, you name it. If you don't like nature, go somewhere else - Norway has the lowest population density in continental Europe. Even in cities like Bergen you're literally surrounded by mountains and fjords.

Other than that, Copenhagen is a pretty nice city. The obvious ones London, Paris and Berlin are pretty good to if your main interest is to "see the sights". Lots of history. Rome and Athens too most likely, though I haven't actually seen either one.

It all depends on what you're looking for. :)

I have been in Copenhagen last month for a week. Great city,though i enjoyed more the efficiency that everything working over there. Too few sightseeings for me.
Now the city i love the most is Berlin. Been there many times and each time i feel there are more to see. I may, even, move permanently.
Athens, is the city i live in. I think it has way to many things to see and enjoy, besides the famous. Though, it is really a bad period with too many strikes and social uprising at the moment. I strongly suggest as the best period spring or fall time. Never summer(go to an island)

I have been in Copenhagen last month for a week. Great city,though i enjoyed more the efficiency that everything working over there. Too few sightseeings for me.
Now the city i love the most is Berlin. Been there many times and each time i feel there are more to see. I may, even, move permanently.
Athens, is the city i live in. I think it has way to many things to see and enjoy, besides the famous. Though, it is really a bad period with too many strikes and social uprising at the moment. I strongly suggest as the best period spring or fall time. Never summer(go to an island)

WHAT?

Are we talking about the same Copenhagen? ;)

Back
Top Bottom