Mass effect 2

lostforever

SasqWatch
Thanks to steam sales I got Mass effect 2. I am still in the early stages (just rescued Joker, Garrius and Morden Sul) but got few questions.

1. You no longer get armour parts as drops? I have not found a single piece so far. I think I found 1 weapon from chest.
2. The skill list for your character seems pretty short compared to ME1 and that's not saying much. Is this the case or more will open up later on? Right now there is nothing to look forward to when I get level up.

So far, something does not seems right about the game. I can't punter finger on it but I think I am bored! Have other felt this way? Does it get better later on?

Thanks to steam sales I got Mass effect 2. I am still in the early stages (just rescued Joker, Garrius and Morden Sul) but got few questions.

1. You no longer get armour parts as drops? I have not found a single piece so far. I think I found 1 weapon from chest.
2. The skill list for your character seems pretty short compared to ME1 and that's not saying much. Is this the case or more will open up later on? Right now there is nothing to look forward to when I get level up.

So far, something does not seems right about the game. I can't punter finger on it but I think I am bored! Have other felt this way? Does it get better later on?

ME2 has less RPG elements than ME1. The inventory is…- well that "armory locker" is what you get. No stats is given on your armor or weapons.

..and yes, skill trees and other RPG elements are less complex than that of the first game.

I personally prefer to have more RPG elements rather than less, but I seem to be in the minority, since most people seem to prefer action games games these days.

Your "boredness" might also stem from the fact that the first bunch of quests are quite generic. Perhaps you should push on a bit just to get past that first bit and see if the game grows on you.

I thought the first ME game had many small annoyances, due it its rather clumsy use of inventory items. I would have preferred if they had just fixed the problems, instead of removing that part altogether. Overall it would seem like they removed almost everything that people complained about in the first game (instead of fixing any of it). Was the result better? Questionable, but at least we got rid of the silly vehicle and the elevators.

What class are you playing as? Vanguard and Infiltrator are the best classes to play imo. You really only have to look forward to maxing out your abilities to get a powered up version of it.

Really the only thing ME2 did better than ME1 was the combat. Everything else pretty much sucks compared to ME1. I guess you could say they made the main quest in the game longer by giving you so many squadmates to recruit. That's about it.

Ugh those elevators that seemed to travel to the other side of the universe, they took so long. :p

On the bright side, I enjoy the 2 hacking minigames a lot more in ME2. ..and yeah, that's about the only thing I enjoy more. I don't miss the Mako, but the scanner and probe that took it's place isn't too wildly exciting either, I must say… :rolleyes:

I played for few hours last night and still not getting into it.

I really like the shooting combat but I really wish they added more RPG elements like stats on weapons and armour and beefed up the levelling system so level up is something to look forward to. One of the fun thing about RPGs is acquiring loot and tinkering with it, and that seems to be pretty non existent in ME2.

The "armory locker" system is pretty stupid. I can't change my gear whenever I want.

I am playing a Solider, I don't mind its not uber class as long as there is something to look forward to when I level up. I get like 3 or 4 skills and thats it.

The game seems to have good story and NPC and I really like that in games, but it seems to be wasted due to lack of other RPG stuff.

I think ME2 is going to back burner for now. Going to start DKS!

I bet you'll enjoy DKS a hell of a lot more :)

I hope so since I paid twice as much money for it than ME2!

I did enjoy the demo lot and I am about 2 hours into the game and I am having mroe fun than I did in ME2 :)

I think ME2 is going to back burner for now. Going to start DKS!
If you ever return to ME2, I recommend starting anew and definitely not playing a soldier, which is the game´s least unique class.

What I´d recommend is:

a) playing on higher difficulty

Hardcore is probably the best for a first playthrough, makes encounters
generally feel more intense and additional enemy defense layers stir the game
into tactically a bit more interesting waters.

b) playing a Sentinel, which is the most jack-of-all-trades-y class in the game

- can deal with pretty much all enemy defenses on his own, which also means
you can experiment with party composition more freely even on higher
difficulties
- Sentinel´s exclusive power, Tech Armor, makes the class less reliant on
covers and later allows for a more in-your-face approach, especially once
evolved into Assault Armor; later it also resets cooldowns of your allies
making them a bit more useful
- has powers which can be situationally useful even at low ranks (Throw, Cryo
Blast)
- has Warp which, besides being very useful against enemy defenses, can
also be used in synergy with some biotic powers of your allies (to create
a biotic detonation)
- imo has pretty satisfying development curve
Basically, even with the game´s limited character development you can get
a pretty diverse gameplay experience with this class.

Alternatively you might try Infiltrator who has better firepower, thanks to
Invisibility Cloak is also less reliant on covers and may be fun if you´re into
lining up headshots, but personally I prefer Sentinel´s versatility.
Vanguard´s Charge ability is interesting and probably the most gameplay
changing one, but strongly reliant on metagaming and luck. Without using
it the class is completely dull, with it you´d be reloading a lot unless you´d
play on lower difficulties (which I don´t recommend for other reasons).
Adept and Engineer are boring because they´re more reliant on covers than
other classes, Engineer´s "exclusive" power isn´t exclusive since 2 companions
have it as well and the fact most biotic powers only affect unprotected
enemies severely hampers Adepts on difficulties higher than normal.

Also, keep in mind that after about 1/3 of the game you´ll be able to choose one additional power from the pool of companions´ loýalty ones (first you need to unlock them by finishing the respective missions). So for example in the case of Sentinel, whose firepower is probably the class´ biggest weakness, you could choose armor piercing ammo which grants quite nice offensive boost even at the first rank.
Plus, about 1/2 into the game you can choose additional weapon training.
Give the Sentinel a sniper rifle and you´re as versatile as it gets :).

c) playing as a female

Even though the difference of quality between VA for male and female isn´t
that notable as in ME1 and pretty much all lines are the same (besides, eh,
romances), I think that playing with a female Shepard gives the game a lot
more unique feel, especially when leaning to the Renegade side.
Unless you have strong roleplaying reasons for doing otherwise, if you want
your PC to feel less generic go with a female protagonist.

d) if you don´t want to pour time into planet scanning, download
gibbed´s Save Editor from here and give yourself as much resources as you want

Anyway, for the time being, have fun with DKS!

I never understood why Soldier is the most played class in the ME series. There are plenty of better shooter games out there. Why when there are biotics and tech powers would you want to play a pure shooter in what is essentially an average or mediocre shooter without them. What ME brings to the table are the tech/biotic powers which you can use to compliment your shooting.

I never understood why Soldier is the most played class in the ME series.

People pick default Shepard in the character creation: Male, Soldier, War Hero. I think it was something like %50 of the players (that enabled the feedback features).

Thanks for the tips DeepO, once I am done with DKS I think I will give ME2 a proper go.

I think one of the problem was I bought ME2, DKS, Alpha Protocol from steam sale and then got DD from gog.com! Since I have too many games to play, I think, I wasn't willing to stick with ME2 for while to see if its get good later :)

Back
Top Bottom