Buying games online preferrance

CelesteGB

Watchhamster
Hey all,

I was always curious…where do people like to download games from the most and if so why?

Ok, I know a lot of people rant about Steam but I do like the simplicity of it. It also updates games automatically as does gog.The other option is gamersgate. These sites are the ones I will download from.

If you dislike one site, why is that? If you really prefer another, why is that? Does it even matter as long as it's on sale?:biggrin:

Btw, I used to be adamant about ordering a physical copy and still will do that depending on the game. Over the last year I have been buying more digital copies especially from the sites that update the games automatically in your library :) After 25 years of gaming, I've grown weary of the patch dance :)

Anyway, have at it!

Last edited:
My favourite by far is GoG, followed by Steam. Those are the only two that I use, and I don't see me ever using anymore, I'm kind of particular about junking up my PC. I don't know much about the other online services that are available, but one I would certainly avoid is Origin, it has quite the bad rep.

I am using GoG whenever possible and steam for those games that are not released on GoG (I have no trouble waiting if GoG released is late but confirmed).
I avoid Uplay and only game I have on it is Heroes 6 for which I couldn't resist since I am huge fan of the series.I also have ME and DA series on origins but it's unlikely I will buy anything else that requires Origin or Uplay.

Oh yeah, I did have to install Origin and Uplay (I installeded the two latest Might and magic games too ;)) because the game I installed required it. I plan on avoiding buying anything from them if at all possible.

I use GoG, Gamersgate and Steam. I also have Humbleblundle but that's more a Kickstarter and chasing-bargains side effect, games in there usually come with Steam keys. I switched to PC digital when I started to buy form sales mostly.

My favorite is GoG though and I tend to not buy that much from Steam. I avoid the "newcomers"digital retailers because 4 websites is well enough to buy stuff. I do not need more.

I also have Origin installed, but I never bought anything on it. Only installed games through keys bought elsewhere.

I have no preference, really.

I do prefer having games in one place, and since Steam is clearly the dominant place - I'm happy to buy Steam keys at prices I find reasonable, which is usually everywhere except Steam itself. I buy games all over the net including GoG, Gamersgate, g2play, oneplay and so on.

I often use torrents to download data files, because pirates are usually nice enough to provide them ahead of release - which means I can get to play sooner and download with maximum speed. I simply transfer the files to the correct folder and let Steam/Origin/whatever figure out that the game is installed already.

I think it's silly to avoid buying from services like Uplay and Origin if you already have them installed anyways.

Steam, GOG, and Gamersgate are my most used sites for buying games. I also use Green Man Gaming, Get Games, Amazon, and various indie sites. The only annoyance is keeping track of all the passwords.

I think it's silly to avoid buying from services like Uplay and Origin if you already have them installed anyways.

Steam, GOG, and Gamersgate are my most used sites for buying games. I also use Green Man Gaming, Get Games, Amazon, and various indie sites. The only annoyance is keeping track of all the passwords.

Lastpass for passwords. Without that handy little app I would be resetting my passwords weekly.

I will buy games anywhere but prefer to have them in one spot as Dart mentioned and that spot would be steam. I do have games on uplay and origin as well when they have a good deal. I use gog but only for older games, they just don't offer the convenience or other features of steam and I don't really care about DRM free.

The majority of my digital games are in Steam and GOG, I have maybe 3 or 4 games in Origin too. Purchased in other services like Greenmangaming and Gamersgate too, but in these cases was always Steamworks games. I have UPlay installed because of 3 games I bought in Steam, but never purchased direct from them

The only annoyance is keeping track of all the passwords.

No kidding. I buy from so many online retailers, that it can take a while for me to find which one I bought the game from, so I can download and play it. So I have to log on to many of them to check. They may have changed their client or account structure so I have to re-register, change name or password along the way. It's a major pain in the ass.

So in the future, if I have a choice, and the price is right, I'll pick steam for the convenience. Most of my games are there already.

No kidding. I buy from so many online retailers, that it can take a while for me to find which one I bought the game from, so I can download and play it. So I have to log on to many of them to check. They may have changed their client or account structure so I have to re-register, change name or password along the way. It's a major pain in the ass.

So in the future, if I have a choice, and the price is right, I'll pick steam for the convenience. Most of my games are there already.

LASTPASS!!, it will generate and store all your passwords and even log in automatically if you want.

I've been using it for a year or 2 and never have to reregister or get my password anymore. Had to regularly before Lastpass.

Just don't ever forget the password for Lastpass though, obviously.

I went digital the second it was possible and have bought stuff on pretty much every platform available for Mac or PC (as well as DS, PSP, Android, Kindle and Apple). I like to consolidate to Steam, GoG or GamersGate when possible for convenience - and will buy a second copy if it is a game I love, but don't sweat it too much otherwise.

Saki, I've never heard of Lastpass could you provide a link. I'm having an issue with Uplay since I asked them to reset my PW, but when it arrives it is in an unreadable format for my email reader. I've emailed them several times about this, but they haven't bothered to respond after over 2 weeks. Let's say I'll NEVER use them again no matter how much I might want to play a game!!

Yes, I jumped on the whole online thing too with every device I have. My husband had to rein me in :lol: Let's not forget books although for some authors I will buy the physical book so I can squirrel them away :)

Saki, I've never heard of Lastpass could you provide a link. I'm having an issue with Uplay since I asked them to reset my PW, but when it arrives it is in an unreadable format for my email reader. I've emailed them several times about this, but they haven't bothered to respond after over 2 weeks. Let's say I'll NEVER use them again no matter how much I might want to play a game!!

just type lastpass.com into your browser and it should take you right to thier site.

If you use chrome just select tools, extensions, then scroll to bottom of the page and select get more extensions. You should be able to search for lastpass then and it will integrate it into your chrome browser.

I assume it works the similarly in other browsers if you don't use chrome.

Just checked if you go to their site they have automatic installers for chrome, IE and fiefox.

I'm using Safari!! :)

I used to be a diehard retail box guy… but after being disappointed with a dvdbox + leaflet manual one too many times, I opt for Steam 80% of the time these days… with GoG releases comprising another 15%. Last 5% is for oddball Steam-activated specials on GMG and Amazon.

Although I did buy M&M X on UPlay, which I promptly uninstalled upon finishing the game. I don't foresee myself ever buying an Origin-exclusive game.

I prefer Steam for the single library convenience. GoG is nice for the soundtracks and other digital swag.

My first choice is Steam. If I can't get the game in Steam (or find it much cheaper in another place) I also use Gamersgate, Gamefly, Amazon Download, GoG, hmm... I'm probably missing some.

Back
Top Bottom