What games are you playing now?

Wow Fluent. Someone seriously needs to duct tape you to the chair. They should have never let you buy a PSP.

Wow Fluent. Someone seriously needs to duct tape you to the chair. They should have never let you buy a PSP.

Haha. :)

The PSP is great, though. Lots of cool games for it. But yeah, I'm out of control with the game jumping lately. Can't seem to finish anything I start...

My Fallout 3 save says I've clocked just over 100hours and I haven't completed the mainquest or touched any of the DLCs or major side conflicts. It has felt more like 30hrs, in fact I didn't notice the save clock until it said 85 so it could really be incorrect, but not in the sense that time has passed without me noticing.

The best parts of the experience have mostly been about how the modded mechanics and visuals (Little Lamplight on drugs was incredible) but it has also been rather tedious. I swear I've spend at least 30% of the total playtime worrying about or micromanaging around the inventory limit and rather aimlessly walking towards or from my motorbike since I thought disabling fast travel would make things better.

I must admit exploration has taken a backstep or is really not that prevalent in the non-downtown DC areas and it's now mostly about enjoying and dealing with the fights against Talon Group mercs, Mutants and the Enclave, or rather annoying the all-too-common fights where all 3 groups are involved.

Even if I try to actually go through the content with little dead-time, it's going to take me at least 50 more hours so my Risen 2 & 3 playthroughs won't come until September. Guess I'll have to avoid the numerous threads until then.

I left my Gothic 2 NOTR playthrough for now.

I bought X-Com enemy within.

It's quite fun and much more so than Blackguards in my opinion. Just having that strategy element (even though it's small) makes it more fun.

I also like the time they've spend explaining each and every alien.

Of course some things could be much better, such as the ship-to-ship combat or the fact that some aliens just appear out of nowhere sometimes, but the game is quite good.

Only big cons for me are that it has crashed 3 times in 10 hours of play and has some stuttering.

I assume I'm still at the start of the game, but the game mechanics are quite good.

I am thinking of playing Xenonauts after this if I'm not bored by TB combat after 40+ hours of X-Com :D

I just got my ass handed to me in X-Com. Just after losing a well ranked support on a difficult mission with two injuries, X-Com gets invaded and I end up losing my second best heavy.

I then had to recruit noobs and I now have a large alien craft landed at my feet with most of my top players injured :O

I must admit exploration has taken a backstep or is really not that prevalent in the non-downtown DC areas and it's now mostly about enjoying and dealing with the fights against Talon Group mercs, Mutants and the Enclave, or rather annoying the all-too-common fights where all 3 groups are involved.

I was really disappointed in DC. It's just a slog through tedious combats without a lot to really find, apart from more combats against the same baddies. I can't say having to constantly duck in and out of the subway to move around really helped. I've probably spent less time in the DC ruins than I have doing almost anything else in the game, and that includes sifting through my inventory looking for something to drop. :p

Recently played Dark Messiah and loved it, what a gem. Blasted through it rather quickly, I'm sure I'll be replaying it at some point. Then played Dishourned, not nearly as fun as Dark Messiah was. That's a game I'll never replay. Then a few days ago I started Wizardry 8 and I'm totally having a blast, might be in this one for the next month or so.

Dark Messiah's a definite overlooked classic. I've been thinking about diving into it again myself.

I've been sandboxy lately, which has limited what I'm in the mood for, so I've mostly been dabbling with Prison Architect and Saints Row 3. I've wanted an RPG, but apart from TES and Fallout games there aren't too many sandboxish RPGs around, so I've just started Baldur's Gate EE. The pre-Baldur's Gate section of the game is pretty wide open, so hopefully that'll keep me going for a while.

Playing fourth KB game, it's just not as fun as previous ones. :(
Dunno maybe it grows better later.

Still not sure if I should paralelly replay Risen 3 as another faction. I probably should as while tying to confirm some reported bugs I've found out I've actually skipped some things (for example a certain gnome will boost your soul +1 if you teach him how to pickpocket, and you can get that dialogue only if your pickpocket is high).
Not that those are highly important things (another example, you can't get the dialogue about map for Morgan's treasure if not in chapter 3 or 4, but when you see that treasure, it's finally a real treasure any pirate would put aside), but still, the game is full of things easy to miss and I just can't be fair and write a proper score in "just finished" thread.

I've been playing a few odd Sega RPGs on my PSP, mainly Dungeons & Dragons: Warriors of the Eternal Sun. Pretty cool game overall. Nice to be able to play a D&D game on a handheld system, and it looks great on the PSP's screen (the PSP's screen seems to make every game look great.).

Warriors of the Eternal Sun is a party-based RPG, where you roll 4 characters and venture forth in a strange new world.

One really cool aspect of the game, is when you enter a dungeon, it turns into a first-person action-RPG. Interestingly enough, when in first-person mode, the combat is not turn-based but real-time, which makes for some hectic fights. When you are exploring the overland, the game uses turn-based tactical combat. It's interesting that both of these modes exist in the same game.

Still, the first-person mode is a lot of fun. Lots of hidden rooms with treasures to be found.

Leveling up is a must if you want to become strong enough to handle the challenges in this world. An unlucky die-roll could mean the difference between life or death depending on how strong your characters are.

I really like it, though. It's ancient by today's standards, but still fun to put some time into, and it's great that it can be played on a mobile device. If you're interested at all in retro RPGs, I would recommend it.

Fluent, that actually sounds like a game I'd enjoy playing, I'm assuming that it isn't available on the PC? I have a buddy that loves his PSP mainly for puzzle games but he's mentioned a few rpg's that he's enjoyed playing on it as well.

I'm fully into Wizardry 8 now, my guys are in the level 10 range and I'm really enjoying how hard some of the fights can be. This game might have me tied up for the next month or two, lol.

I'm not playing any game Fluent recommends until he finishes The Last Remnant!
:evilgrin:

Um... Well... Games I already planned to play (Wasteland 2, Eternity, etc) excluded.

Fluent, that actually sounds like a game I'd enjoy playing, I'm assuming that it isn't available on the PC? I have a buddy that loves his PSP mainly for puzzle games but he's mentioned a few rpg's that he's enjoyed playing on it as well.

You can always use an emulator. It sounds like a mix of the old Gold Box games and Eye of the Beholder.

For a slightly different take on Dungeons and Dragons, you can check out Chronicles of Mystara on Steam. It's two Capcam beat-em-ups based on Basic D&D. Each class has different abilities, you level up (sort of), and you can pick up different bits of equipment. You can even choose from a few different routes through the game, including a few hidden artefacts and bosses. It's not a real RPG, but it's still pretty fun.

The game is available on PC if you use an emulator, as Menigal said.

That said, I would highly recommend the PSP for old-school RPGs. You can mod it so it can play NES, SNES, Genesis, Neo-Geo, etc. games, and you can load up your memory stick with games for these systems.

I just discovered that these old consoles have some gems that I never heard of, such as this D&D game I mentioned, as well as many, many others.

Also, like I said, the screen on the PSP is beautiful for playing old games. The resolution looks nice and crisp and it makes playing these older games a lot of fun.

Last thing, modding a PSP is super easy, anyone can do it. All you need is a USB cable and the know-how to download a file and send it via USB to the PSP. Super simple and it unlocks a lot of nice potential with this system :).

After a hiatus of sorts following finishing up Paper Sorcerer, Escape Goat, and Shovel Knight, I finally started a new single-player game. Wizardry 8.

So far, I am being reminded of just how long some of the fights can be, and having really good luck on both Vi's and my created Valkyrie's Cheat Death (6 times in a row), in one nasty fight with some "humanoids" that were level 22 and way stronger than what I could take on at that time. I escaped with just Vi, and netted 5 levels from killing one (granted only to one character...)

It's been a while since I played a game that is unforgiving to the player like Wizardry. It's rather refreshing.

Then a few days ago I started Wizardry 8 and I'm totally having a blast, might be in this one for the next month or so.
BWAHAHA! Welcome to the cult. You're using the Wizfast utility, yes? You're in for a real treat.

I'm actually making my first Wiz8 run in a couple years right now, in preparation for a write-up for Felipepe's book. I'm just about done with Trynton, with the first easter egg dungeon and the swamp on the horizon. I'm running a rather bland party (fighter, monk, valk, ranger, gadg, bishop) but it suits me.

Playing Wizardry 8 myself, not using any utility thing. This is just my type of game, having a great time with it so far. Decent loot seems rare but I'm sure that'll change at some point. Just had a real 30 minute knockdown brawl in the treetown with some rat breeders, totally tough and hardcore!

After completing Risen 3, I decided it was time for a short, straight forward RPG, so I played through Jade Empire again. The whole thing is a bit too "on rails" for me, but the setting is excellent. I still feel that it has a lot of untapped potential. I consider it a shame that we're unlikely to ever see more games in that setting.

I just spent two hours creating a party for Wizardry 6, played for three minutes and stopped immediately.

Nope, nostalgia won't carry me that far.

I'm still plodding through Risen 3. I like it alright and I've always wanted to finish a PB game. I was going to play the Eternity Beta but we seem to have enough folks playing through it, so I'm skipping it.

Back
Top Bottom