RPGWatch Feature - Morrowind Revisited

To add: I do understand your view and it does make sense.

I don't think Morrowind is for everyone. And Bethesda should spend a lot more time on game mechanics and dialogue than on their sandbox ideals.

BUT, what Morrowind did well in my opinion and why so many love it is it gave you a sandbox to explore with a very unique flavor. I find the world they've created unique and fascinating. And yes it does require a few mods, but at it's core what moves me in Morrowind is the world/lore itself which is what Bethesda excelled at.

Oblivion improved some of the gameplay aspects but it was one step forwards, two steps back. Level/item scaling ruined what could have been a worthy and most improved sequel. The graphics are beautiful but it doesn't have that awe-inspiring effect that Morrowind's alien landscapes/architecture had. But with improved gameplay and taking place in the same world, it may not have needed it.

Was not a losing situation though. I think they succeeded in making a more accessible consolized game which really helped get the game to more gamers. Unfortunately for some like me, the game became too simplified and Bethesda's main weaknesses like dialogue really came to the fore. And that horrendous voice acting!

Excuse me for jumping in so late I must say that I´m a bit surprised somehow I thought the battlelines would be drawn between the daggerfall crowd vs morrowind and how they sacrificed so much and dumded it down for morrowind

Leaving Oblivion as the moot point that everybody can agree about

I guess I´m old
(although I did actually finish the main storyline in df before i had internet access)

cheers
M

Last edited:
I've never seen one person try so hard to convince everyone else that their opinion must be wrong. :)

You mean explaining his point of view?

One wonders why you can't see that everyone is telling me I'm wrong, if you look at it from another perspective :)

But I don't think that's the case…

I just think we're having a debate, based on differing tastes and experiences.

I happen to find that fascinating, which is why I go to great lengths to detail what I think, and why.

Convincing people they're wrong on a public forum, is like boiling an egg in the freezer. As in, not very productive.

Convincing people they're wrong on a public forum, is like boiling an egg in the freezer. As in, not very productive.
In particular trying to convince *you* of anything.... :lol:

Explaining one's point of view only takes one post. Trying to debate, point for point, against examples of what other people liked about it, goes beyond that.

Damit, I just loaded up a low lvl toon from '06 and played for 2hrs because of this thread!!!!

Was a lot of fun, thx :)

That's 2 posts… just saying :)

Doh!

thumbnail.aspx

Thing with exploration in Gothic was that;
- Content is handmade
- Resources are static and limited
- Best stuff is often looted

This means that exploration is;
- Usually instantly rewarded
- Necessary to get all the powerful stuff (only way to get the rare unique plants, usually grant much better equipment than what's available in shops).
- Varied, you do find unique areas and interesting places all over the place

In my experience with Morrowind, magic, enhancements and alchemy was usually the quick route to power, and this could usually be bought in shops. You get the money best by stealing.

Explaining one's point of view only takes one post. Trying to debate, point for point, against examples of what other people liked about it, goes beyond that.

What world are you living in?

In the real world, explaining one's point of view is a matter of back and forth exchange, because you can't know exactly how you're perceived - and you rarely think of everything there is to say on the matter in one go.

Wake up, dude ;)

Do we really need to take a look at any of the hundreds of debates without me, to see how many posts people take to explain themselves and clarify.

To explain something, you need to get a sense that the people on the receiving end is getting the point. That point has been reached in this thread, it seems - and it didn't take that many posts. I'm pleased ;)

Last edited:
So if not to accomplish anything and not for fun, then why? Just to blow off steam?

Why people would want to convince others they're wrong?

You'd have to ask them :)

I think the interesting thing about exchanging thoughts and opinions, about things we're passionate about, is to learn and challenge oneself - as well as others.

I mean, if I really believe something - I think supporting that belief and defending my point of view is only natural. Others might not "convince" me that I'm wrong right away, but their words are heard - and ideas take time to form, sometimes.

You can "change" opinions in a subtle way, and they might never know you've influenced them. But who cares, as long as a more informed opinion is the result. That's actually my number one hope - and why I can stand going through these endless circular debates with people just as stubborn as I. It's my hope that one or both parties LEARN something. But what I don't give a shit about, is taking credit or who's right (which is often meaningless - dealing with such subjective things). That's not important.

So it can go both ways, and I'm definitely influenced - just as any smart person would be.

Only morons refuse to let others influence them.

Yeah, and I've certainly been influenced to try Morrowind again some time soon.

Even stubborn old JDR inspired me to play The Witcher on hard, soonish.

What to do first, though….

What to do first, though….

First? I'll tell you what to do first. First you say after me:

"MORROWIND IS A GREAT GAME"

First? I'll tell you what to do first. First you say after me: