Fallout Fallout 1 Playthough

I liked Fallout 3 simply because I live in DC. It was pretty cool to find exactly where my apartment building is or where my office was. It didn't compare to Fallouts 1 or 2, though, and I think that has more to do with the quality of the story and writing then with the change from isometric tactical view to first-person view.

Back on to the topic of Fallout 1, this is a pretty neat program I like to use in my Fallout 1/2 playthroughs and I didn't see it mentioned here -
http://timeslip.chorrol.com/sfall.html

Helps to be able to play in higher/widescreen resolutions and use the scrollwheel for inventory-related things. It has more features for Fallout 2 than Fallout 1, tho'.

Since Bethesda proved that they can actually ruin their own settings and stories, they apparently had to buy someone elses story and setting. Actually they bought one of the best around, but rather then stick with it, they trampled it and managed to completely fuck it up.

Well that's your opinion, but a lot of people enjoyed Fallout 3. I quite liked exploring Fallout from a first-person perspective, and so did many others. Besides, there are tons of mods being created all the time that change details about the game, or you could just create your own. I find it quite fun even with no mods.

I just found F3 hopelessly boring,and that's coming from someone who completed vanilla Oblivion 4 times.

OK ... let's keep this discussion civil ... these are only games, after all. It is impossible for one game to ruin another, unless you take someone else's opinion over your own.

BAM! Exactly! See, in my eyes and as I previously stated, I saw a real step back from Morrowind. In Morrowind, there was:

-A creative story
-Interesting Art
-Dialogue that, although repetitive, at least had some interesting elements to some of it
-A fairly alien atmosphere (the armor of the different families, for example)
-Dull, static NPCs
-Boring quests
-The worst dungeons ever
-Horrific combat

Oblivion had:

-Boring and safe art
-Boring dialogue
-Much better combat
-Some very interesting - albeit linear - quest lines
-Less static NPCs, albeit still a long way from the best

I'm not really a fan of any of Bethesda's work but I feel Fallout 3 was a genuine attempt to adapt Fallout to their style of game. It falls a long way short of what I'd like but it did succeed with at least a couple of elements for me.

Fallout (1) rocks - even FO2 falls short, in my opinion. True classics are always rare.

Very good point Mike. I don't understand why some people want to act like it retroactively affects the previous games.

Fallout (1) rocks - even FO2 falls short, in my opinion. True classics are always rare.

I agree, even though FO2 was larger in scope, it just didn't capture the same atmosphere that FO1 had imho. The fact that it had a disgusting amount of bugs probably contributed to that.

I am a huge fan of the first 2 Fallout games, replayed so many times.

I am currently playing through Fallout 3 for the 2nd time and I am enjoying myself.

I like the exploring part and the ability to immerse myself.
I agree it lacks some qualities from the first Fallout games but I don't try to hold it up against the first 2 games when I play, because that will just make it less fun.

Neither did I expect them to be able to make a similar game to the first Fallout. I kind of expected Oblivion with Guns but I was positively surprised that it felt much more like an RPG than Oblivion did.

BAM! Exactly! See, in my eyes and as I previously stated, I saw a real step back from Morrowind. In Morrowind, there was:

-A creative story
-Interesting Art
-Dialogue that, although repetitive, at least had some interesting elements to some of it
-A fairly alien atmosphere (the armor of the different families, for example)

Oblivion had:

-Boring and safe art
-Boring dialogue

Since Bethesda proved that they can actually ruin their own settings and stories, they apparently had to buy someone elses story and setting. Actually they bought one of the best around, but rather then stick with it, they trampled it and managed to completely fuck it up.
There's a lot controversy about Oblivion so it doesn't worth to add anything alse but few points.

Morrowind is a good example showing Bethesda can improve their own setting and stories. There's many points I dislike in Morrowind but overall that's a quite good game.

But I don't see at all why you quote some points:
  • You credit better dialogs to Morrowind than Oblivion, I wonder from where come this feeling, the reverse would be more right.
  • I can also admit that Morrowind Art was more interesting with a much better Fantasy mood, but there was a huge problem of their quality and that's not only about the worse graphic idea I ever see with those ugly faces. Ok Oblivion graphics was lacking of soul and most often wasn't matching the game mood. But there's many graphics quite well done including some with a nice mood. The big problem was that too many had a faerie mood with a lack of Fantasy setup and don't match at all anything else of the game.

For me the Oblivion biggest failure is from elements more close to the pure gameplay:
  • For example ton of quests have a story design quite above the average but play them is often boring.
  • You can argue about the main story credibility but it wasn't that bad. The hell area had a very cool design, even the Art isn't bad here, except that the repetitions make them quickly awful from any point view, look, mood, gameplay and even destroy all the mood of the main story.
  • Also many people complain about the design with difficulty matching the character level making many place weird and the difficulty poor. On this point I agree it's a problem but for anybody that have play BG2 that has one of the best CRPG difficulty setup I ever saw but also had ton of places where the difficulty is adapted to party level. There's a problem in the action, partially because the fight system isn't that good but also because the difficulty is most often too low.

OK ... let's keep this discussion civil ... these are only games, after all. It is impossible for one game to ruin another, unless you take someone else's opinion over your own.

There's two points about that. You couldn't deny the effect of the expectation, it's not really objective but in the end when it's about preference it's all about subjectivity. The second point is coming from the "déjà vu" bad effect and that can make a game ruin another, almost. A mid good example of this is G1 and G2+NOTR. Most people that started the series with G2+NOTR didn't enjoy as much G1. When most people that started this series with G1 didn't enjoyed that much G2+NOTR. Anyway that sort of bad effect is a classical you can see in any domain, games but also music and so on.

I'm not sure where you got that idea, but I can assure you that isn't true.

It didn't work with you but it did with me. I think Gothic was superior to Gothic 2 in atmosphere.

Anyway there is going to be released Restoration Project 1.3 to Fallout so I'll wait with replay to release date of RP 1.3.

It didn't work with you but it did with me. I think Gothic was superior to Gothic 2 in atmosphere.

I think what he was questioning was the implication that Gothic 2 was subject to the same hate-mongering and head-on-fire 'they've ruined the franchise' stuff that we;ve seen with FO3.

I mean, I think I was quite critical of the flaws of FO3 in my review, don't make any pretense it will ever really live up to the 'bestest EVAR' hype it got, but it was fun and did pretty much what we all knew it would do - and loads of that was satisfying a mass audience who doesn't care at all about some ancient game made when they were in diapers.

Then you're in the minority. Almost every thread I've read dealing with G1 and G2+NOTR is that NOTR is far superior and I agree. It doesn't make your opinions false they're just not the popular opinion.

As for F3 vs F2 and F1. F3 is a good game if you dull your mind to the dumbest plot and dialogue ever to be written (oh wait, I meant EVAR!!) ;)

The rest of the game is fun if properly modded. I also loved VATS and don't see why people have such a problem with it.

One thing I want to ask is that I've read a lot of times of how Fallout 1 is better than Fallout 2. My question is, Why? I personally like them both equally and feel they both were great games. What made Fallout 1 so much better than Fallout 2?

I liked how you start out as a tribal, but I thought it was quite a stretch of the imagination that the original Vault Dweller was kicked out of the Vault for some lame reason. Other than that the rest of the game picks up speed and has a lot of the deep characters and setting that was in the original.

I liked Fallout 3 but I agree it's nothing like it's predessesors. It might have something to do with developers simply not having the luxury of being able to take the amount of time that a game like F2 (translated into a modern format) would take. Also they were likely hampered by interference from the big knobs at the top who had their own skewed ideas of what gamers want and will and won't accept. And also, lets face it, it takes talent to come up with stuff like that. Genius even. And maybe that kind of talent is just not around these days. Who knows.

fallout3 was fun for the first playthrough, when I tried playing it again I found out that when I changed my char it didn't really affect the game much , also the ending just pissed me off so much I didn't touch the game for a week...
in short fallout 3 is fun for one time , at least for me:).
and there is really no comprasion between FO1 or FO2 to FO3, they are just too different to be called a true sequel

Ok I admit I haven't any serious statistic numbers about this, but I definitely quote that in forums. In fact JDR13 you are the first exception to this rule that I quote. So you prefer G2+NOTR to G1? Another point would be to have play G2 then G2+NOTR that decrease the pleasure to play G2+NOTR, in this case the reason is quite obvious and a different subject.

EDIT: And skavenhorde the second exception. :biggrin: Well well I'd be curious if one year after the release of NOTR that was true. The point is objectively G2+NOTR is far superior to G1 and as time pass this becomes the standard opinion.

The core issue with Fallout 3 is that it's made by imitators and not pioneers.

Fallout was the other way around.

I liked Fallout 3 simply because I live in DC. It was pretty cool to find exactly where my apartment building is or where my office was. It didn't compare to Fallouts 1 or 2, though, and I think that has more to do with the quality of the story and writing then with the change from isometric tactical view to first-person view.

I was always curious as to how accurate the DC in the game was to the real one.

I was always curious as to how accurate the DC in the game was to the real one.

It depends. There's a lot of sections missing or inaccessible, and obviously since it's "alternate history future" there are radical changes. I found roughly where my apartment and old office would be, though. There was some photo-to-screenshot comparison of famous landmarks and most of them were pretty accurate. Every time I walk along the mall now I imagine running through trenches and being shot at the whole way by super mutants or raiders.

...I'm a nerd, I know.

Back
Top Bottom