What games are you playing now?

If you can make it through DA2 then you should be able to make it through The Witcher. :)

I never thought of it that way. What in insult that would be to the witcher if I finished DA2 and not it.....

Or would that be an insult to me.:lol:

If you can make it through DA2 then you should be able to make it through The Witcher. :)

This cracked me up.

I also just started Witcher1 EE for a fun playthrough. About halfway through the city.

I've finished DA2 but couldn't get past the tutorial of The Witcher 1 :p Not saying DA2 is a better game than The Witcher 1, just not my cup of tea. It all comes down to personal preferences, you know.

As slow as W1s intro was DA2 beginning (which I assume the demo area was) is inconceivably bad.

RotWW was cancelled?
I'm talking about the Mod not the expansion. Two different RotWWs.

I've finished DA2 but couldn't get past the tutorial of The Witcher 1 :p Not saying DA2 is a better game than The Witcher 1, just not my cup of tea. It all comes down to personal preferences, you know.
People talk a lot of crap about DA2 but it was easy to sit down and play..and keep playing while forgetting how long it's been. In the end, that's what a game is supposed to do. W1 was way too clunky to ever do that. I'm playing W1 now and finding myself having to break and continue just to get through with it..with the only reason being because people said it was worth it.

DA2 Mods were better too..which says something about the people playing it.

People talk a lot of crap about DA2 but it was easy to sit down and play..and keep playing while forgetting how long it's been. In the end, that's what a game is supposed to do. W1 was way too clunky to ever do that. I'm playing W1 now and finding myself having to break and continue just to get through with it..with the only reason being because people said it was worth it.

It wasn't that way for me. I couldn't even finish the prologue of DA2.

DA2 Mods were better too..which says something about the people playing it

Yes, it says they have a high tolerance for mediocre gaming. ;)

I'm talking about the Mod not the expansion. Two different RotWWs.

How about a link? Does it do away with the problems I specifically mentioned? As in, the quest design and absurd amount of traveling back and forth?

"People" - as in people that fit with your skewed perception of what people have been saying?

Nah, DA2 is a pathetic sequel - but it's passable as a mostly mindless action RPG with a ton of repetition.

I don't know why you're forgetting the time while playing DA2, but perhaps it's not what all other people were doing?

People are actually different when it comes to what they like and don't like. Your opinion is not incorrect because of that :)

Personally, I've struggled to forget DA2 rather than time since playing it, but that's just me.

I'm with you there. I've tried to play the Witcher twice, and abandoned it twice. It's just not my type of game.

Unlike others' thoughts, DA2 is not my type of game. Still, I've finished it. It was not utterly bad like Blood Knights. Yea, I'm trying now to force myself into replaying it before DA:I gets released but am (secretly) hoping I won't need the save from it like in ME series so I can skip the replay.

Unlike DA2, TW1 is totally my type of game. Only… It's made in the worst engine that ever existed. That didn't stop me from finishing it twice. And I plan to replay it once again around xmas.

Since when mods determine a game quality?
You may say a mod is great or essential, but it's still a mod. Not a game.

But lemme add something evil already mentioned in another thread. I don't use mods frequently as I don't have time nor nerves for it, however mods are just another proof that a platform most of us use here for games, PC, is far superior to phones and consoles.

Last edited:
QUOTE]

Was DA2 easier to play or make with all the copy and pasting in it?

Now if the Witcher isn't your cup of tea that is fine. But to call it clunky I don't know about that. It was first game by CPR not, what was DA2 Bio's 13th plus their add-on's.

For a first time game by any company the Witcher was a huge risk I would say and pulled it off very well. I think a lot of people forget that, that being that was their first game(CPR).

Anyways I am just about finished it again for the first time playing on the side of the Scoia'tael. Plus doing a few of the other quest differently and have enjoyed it very much this time through.

I can understand how some people might think The Witcher is clunky in some ways, but that's mostly due to the Aurora Engine imo. I think CDP did an amazing job considering how craptastic that engine is.

A lot of great RPGs are perceived as "clunky" though. Arcanum, Arx Fatalis, Vampire:TM-B, and Morrowind, to name a few.

Being smooth and polished doesn't make something fun by itself. Bioware's games have great production values and are very polished, but I haven't really enjoyed one of their titles since Dragon Age: Origins.

Damn… all this talk about The Witcher has me really looking forward to playing it again. :)

A lot of great RPGs are perceived as "clunky" though. Arcanum, Arx Fatalis, Vampire:TM-B, and Morrowind, to name a few.

Being smooth and polished doesn't make something fun by itself. Bioware's games have great production values and are very polished, but I haven't really enjoyed one of their titles since Dragon Age: Origins.

True, but polish definitely helps. I don't have much time to play game as it is, and I certainly don't want to waste my precious time getting irritated playing cluncky games :p

I don't think my issues with The Witcher can be blamed on the engine. It's not just about being clunky - and then there are degrees of clunkiness and a game needs to have something to compensate for being clunky.

It's not like it's an engine limitation to have combat be Dragon's Lair - and I'd have much preferred a more hands-off tactical approach - kinda like KotOR which used the same engine. The timed clicking requiring precise targeting is, frankly, terrible.

The engine definitely isn't responsible for the awful back-and-forth quest design and the overly rigid paths. I'd say that's a design choice, because Neverwinter Nights had open areas using an older version of the same engine, and some of those didn't have obstacles every two steps.

In fact, The Witcher reminds me of the awkward linear level design of modern Bioware games - like KotOR and Mass Effect. Mass Effect was Unreal engine, and yet they chose to keep their approach to having rigid inflexible movement with only a few paths you could follow.

The Witcher is worse, because it's not always obvious what paths you can follow and the Swamp is particularly bad. That wouldn't bother me so much if the game didn't force the player back and forth constantly, and - what's worse - have half the dialogues depend on a specific time of day.

To my mind, that's incredibly bad game design - but to each his own.

That said, I'm well into Chapter 3 - and the game is better now. They finally decided to give me a few short-cuts with teleports, which helps a lot. Also, as I'm more familiar with the areas - I'm having an easier time doing the quests in a smarter order.

I still feel like a slave following orders - and the writing isn't grabbing me like I feel it should. Even the Enhanced Edition is full of quirky inconsistent babble - and I can't say it's making much of an impression.

Still, the atmosphere is good - and I'm having some fun with the character system.

But, I have to say, it's one of the most overrated games I've played - so far. I really expected more and I'm surprised how hard it's been to enjoy.

Maybe the last couple of chapters will improve my opinion of it.

Dragon Age II was easy to play, and the combat flowed pretty nicely. The problem was that they messed up the rest :)

I dont know what to say to the guys crying over the Witcher, I personally love it. Yeah, the game makes you work for it at times. Fetch quests, visiting certain NPCs during certain times, having to read between the lines and think about quests, not always being lead by the nose..
Mercy! :D

I wont talk too much shit, it's a quirky european rpg and like most quirky european rpgs it has it's stalwart fans and haters.

I just finished Walking Dead chapt 1, trying to decide whther to get 2 or do something else for a while. I think the latter is in order, it was nice to play something else kinda random

I dont know what to say to the guys crying over the Witcher, I personally love it. Yeah, the game makes you work for it at times. Fetch quests, visiting certain NPCs during certain times, having to read between the lines and think about quests, not always being lead by the nose..
Mercy! :D

I agree completely. I think it's a phenomenal game, but everyone is welcome to an opinion. :)

Thanks. Of course I knew you wouldn't be able to resist making a comment even though mine had nothing to do with you. :)

Back
Top Bottom