Arcania - RPG Codex Hates Arcania

The review is detailed, shows the reviewer completed the game, is filled with examples which back up the reviewer's claims, and includes quite a few informative screens as a bonus. I don't see what the fuss is about.

Thanks to this review I also know I was right not to buy this game after playing the demo.

IT's the Codex remember? The are the Mikey's of computer gaming. They hate everything! Read the first ten articles in their forum. Everything sucks for them

Actually, reviews are completely subjective and if he hates it then that's how he thinks. Others think differently. Don't know what the fuss is. I actually am having some fun with it and don't particularly want a game that makes me reload it another 50 times to advance another ten feet.

It might be a good review as in extensive and thorough, but it's still someones view on a game. For me personaly it's a nice game with good enough game mechanics to keep me busy for a couple of hours. I don't have the time to play a (too) extended RPG nowadays so if it works for some, it won't work for someone else.

I can understand that some people have the feeling they have been "betrayed" by this new Gothic game but I'm quite sure there are some other new RPG's out there to fill this gap, and who knows maybe G5 will be the bomb again!?

IT's the Codex remember? The are the Mikey's of computer gaming. They hate everything! Read the first ten articles in their forum. Everything sucks for them

That's factually wrong. They don't hate the first two Fallout games. ;)

I don't have the time to play a (too) extended RPG nowadays so if it works for some, it won't work for someone else.

You know, i have always found that kind of reasoning odd. I know the feeling of having too many new games and too little time all too well. Ten years ago, when i was a university student i played through probably 10 times as many games a year as i do now. That doesn't mean that the games i do play through are any less complex. Instead, i have time only for quality, not for quantity like i used to. Gaming is not rocket science, base brain power needed to play even the most complex games is NOT that much.

That's factually wrong. They don't hate the first two Fallout games. ;)
And to be fair, Roxor was pretty positive about Risen in his review of that, and has been fairly consistent in his criticisms/ praising of the aspects of the games he has reviewed there. There's no doubt he genuinely dislikes the game rather than just going for effect.

There's no doubt he genuinely dislikes the game rather than just going for effect.

Reviewers can get into a problem with games that they truly don't like for whatever major reasons. They will pick out other "flaws" to criticize even though in other games that they like yet which suffer the same flaws the reviewer will ignore or de-emphasize them.

Excellent review. I always like a review with a little passion in it especially when they back up their point of view with facts, just like he did.

+1 for talking heads :D

I can accept the first two, but the third is immoral.

+1 for that :)

One of the few times I actually agree with something from the Codex.

True ... there are factual errors, and leaving out the whole thing of magic (which naturally was the path I took) ignored how that path worked ... and there was other stuff I read and said 'not quite correct ... BUT by and large I agreed with most of what was said.

I definitely got a good laugh out of the final section on the bugs. :biggrin:

Great review from Codex :D I don't always agree with their reviews but Arcania got the verdict it deserved. The game doesn't fail solely as a sequel to gothic series, it fails as a rpg game.

I'm close to finishing my second run-through now (melee, first was mage) and the crap fetch quests at the end that were somewhat irritating the first time are inexcusably annoying ...

Back
Top Bottom