The First Templar - Available in UK, Video

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The First Templar has been released in the UK, a week earlier than we expected it. Here's a snip from the press release at GameBanshee:
The Conspiracy Begins as ‘The First Templar’ Hits UK Stores

Bracknell, UK – 6th May 2011 – Kalypso Media, a global publisher of award-winning PC and console games, is thrilled to announce the UK launch of the highly anticipated action/adventure game The First Templar for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows PC. The First Templar will also be available as a digital purchase through multiple portals from 12th May. For more information please visit www.thefirsttemplar-game.com

The First Templar is a co-operative action adventure game, set in a dark and gritty portrayal of the late 13th Century during the Crusade where old friends become enemies, corruption spreads throughout the Church and once noble knights oppress the weak and renounce their oaths.

Follow the path of two unlikely heroes on their search for the Holy Grail. The young French Templar Celian teams up with the noble lady and proclaimed heretic Marie to unveil a grand conspiracy within the Order of the Knights Templar. The heroes face powerful opponents at every turn including the Saracen, King Philip of France and the Holy Inquisition.
They also have a video showing the first 10 minutes of gameplay on the same page.
Thanks, Zohaib.
More information.

I knew the 6 was involved in the release stuff.

I am also interested in this game to know if it delivers in the beat'em up department.

The video is not oriented to display the game features. Looks like a video recorded from a personal walkthrough, with no intent to be shared. The levelling up choice was among the least interesting for a third party watching the video. It makes sense for a player committed to his own game, not for a viewer willing to learn more about the game. The ability was not triggered in the video and was also redundant.

The video was enough though to exhibit cam issues and the fact that the balance tips toward co op. The game does not give the feeling your partner with another companion but only with a foil existing to flatter the player's ego.
As the video maker was new in the game, his skills are not yet impressive. Despite that, the AI foil pulls little weight compared to the player. While the AI foil kills one enemy, the player can kill two or three.

Players usually like to be the center of the game. But partnering with a AI NPC able to pull its own weight is what I expect from games.

Last edited:
I can't understand why RPGWatch is so interested in this game? It's not a RPG, an action adventure game. There're much better fantasy themed action adventure games out there like Darksiders or God of war 3 and we haven't seen a single post of them here in RPGWatch. I'm not complaining, just wondering why.

I can't understand why RPGWatch is so interested in this game? It's not a RPG, an action adventure game. There're much better fantasy themed action adventure games out there like Darksiders or God of war 3 and we haven't seen a single post of them here in RPGWatch. I'm not complaining, just wondering why.

3 months ago the game was called an action-RPG by the publisher and until last week, still listed as such on the official German websites.

FYI: The Pirhania fellows called their Gothic games "Action Adventures with RPG elements" - The Watch followed them, so why not the First Templar? Also it was marketed as a Action RPG (aka Hack'n Slash) at one point, so why not report about it.

As long as Mount&Blade, Biohazard and the likes are RPGWatch material I think the First Templar will be interesting for Watch visitors.

Someone please, someone who actually played it, please share your thoughts.
It looks interesting, but I'm kinda skeptic. :(

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/adv...how_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-59050899&pid=997308

these are the thoughts of some who are playing the first templar. as for me i have played the game for around 5 hours, the game is linear there are few rpg element like each character has their own skills and skill paths, which the player can develop as they complete missions and explore the game world, there are side quests,you can unlock new costumes. there's no magic or high fantasy stuff so far. the graphics are not that good. there are stealth missions in the game, so far i think its an ok game.

There's a few reviews for it on Amazon UK. I'm afraid it hasn't gotten very good user reviews so far. The best of them said that he liked it for what it was and that "If you like 3D hack & slash platformers then you'll love this. If you don't, leave it alone".

The other reviews cited dated graphics and unconvincing voice acting, which are pretty standard complaints for indie games, but they also cite linear, repetitive gameplay and too easy combat and puzzles that amount to little more than pressing buttons.

Reading between the lines, sounds to me like it could be okay as a light diversion if you don't mind simple action combat and aren't expecting top notch production values. It's questionable whether such a game is worth £25/$40 though.

Anyway, see here for 1 PC review:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00462R1XM/

And here for 2 360 reviews:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B00462R1XC/

Back
Top Bottom