Morrowind - 2011 Graphical Project

In my experience it's often not the modders themselves who cares, but other people who are annoyed when someone puts together something they didnt do themselves.. Some people just love bitching about the unwritten laws of modding, while most modders just want thier mods spread so people can enjoy their work.
There were a few people who did clothes and other stuff that were very protective of their material (which is understandable) and that of others (which is less so). This culminated in not being able to put anything up for download where the original modder had long since moved on to other pastures and could not be asked for permission.
Constructive criticism is ok and is encouraged, but saying stuff like "your mod sucks" and so forth is not tollerated there (and shouldn't be). I think the TES community is very friendly and encouraging, much unlike for example the GTA modding community which i found very hostile and immature.
While I appreciate the sentiment, there were a few people who did not tolerate a single word of criticism without falling first into biting sarcasm and then into screaming rage. What was the name of this guy from Scotland (?) who put birds on Solstheim and similar stuff? I usually did not say anything, but once I mentioned that his mod that made Morrowind creatures "peaceful" was a bit simplistic. He simply set all damage to zero, with predictable consequences. When I mentioned that I was called stupid and whatsoever. I did a little picture story to illustrate the point (I think I have still these two pics: 1, 2), and the resulting screaming rage and flood of insults got the thread locked and deleted. So far for friendly and encouraging.

It's a good thing that Morrowind is generally a great game in its vanilla state, because given how the modding community doesn't really behave like a "community" - as in, working collaboratively to make the game better - there will never be an awesome overhaul mod that enhances the entire game using the contents of many different mods. (Unless such a thing already exists - I gave up on Morrowind mods a few years back and recently re-played it without checking for new mods)

I agree. I've never really had a huge interest in mods for Morrowind because I didn't find it lacking out of the box. The only thing that ever really bugged me was the economy, i.e. shopkeepers never having enough gold to buy my items.

If I ever get around to playing it again, I might give one of those texture mods a try, but I won't be using anything that adds fan-made content to the game.

I also found the Oblivion modding community odd in its attack stance towards anyone who provided any critical feedback. This is a REAL big turnoff. Mods that break games because of bugs are one of the reasons I usually avoid them… And let's face it, most mods are buggy… I think a modding community that doesn't acknowledge this, and is not open to feedback has failed…

I agree. I've never really had a huge interest in mods for Morrowind because I didn't find it lacking out of the box. The only thing that ever really bugged me was the economy, i.e. shopkeepers never having enough gold to buy my items.

If I ever get around to playing it again, I might give one of those texture mods a try, but I won't be using anything that adds fan-made content to the game.
Your loss. I generally agree with you that Morrowind was not really lacking much, but there were a few, often relatively unknown mods that put a nice touch on the game. It takes some effort to find those, though, and I can understand if you don't want to spend the time and wade through lots of mods that do things you do not like.

Back
Top Bottom