Fallout 2 - Retrospective @ PCGAMER

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
PCGAMER has a retrospective article on Fallout 2 with their next reinstall article.
F2’s real genius, though, is that there’s no assumption that you have to win every fight or see every possibility. Sure, if you come to New Reno sporting stolen power armor, you’ll be a force to be reckoned with. More likely, however, you’ll arrive as just another schlub, easily put down if you go around starting fights with the wrong people. Not being the ultimate badass changes everything. What little power and influence you accumulate in New Reno is earned, and it’s more meaningful because of it. And that’s just the start.
You see, as a wanderer, you can never find home. You don’t have to set foot in New Reno to finish Fallout 2, but if you do, you’ll eventually have to leave. As with all the other towns you visit, however, your decisions have power. Who controls the streets? What happens to the drug trade? War may never change, but the world of Fallout 2 definitely does, and the one thing you can guarantee as the final credits roll is that however low New Reno sinks into depravity, nobody there will ever forget you—the hero or villain they only knew as Arnold Swollenmember.
More information.

Some years ago I played Fallout 1 & 2 every summer - these games never get boring.

I've replayed them so many times I really can't do it again. This year. Next year however, I will.

In fact, I can't remember I've replayed any other game so many times like FO1-2. Even those super/hyper looking GOTYs I replayed perhaps once only. Is it me or today's games are not developed with thinking on how to be interesting in each replay?

The only CRPG I replayed more:

Jagged Alliance 2

third place: Gothic 2: NotR

I have played Gothic 2: NotR so many times and I rarely replay games. Knights of the Chalice is #1 on my list with most replays. I played KotC all the way thru on hard core mode and that was no easy task. Some of the fights at the end were pretty nerve racking because if you die you die. :)

The only CRPG I replayed more:

Jagged Alliance 2

That's my situation, too. I played Fallout 2 so much I could probably write a walkthru for it right now that was pretty detailed, and I haven't played it in at least 5 years. I could write a strategy guide for Jagged Alliance 2, and I haven't played that since 2005. Back in the day when BIS and whatever Ian Currie's team was calling itself were still around, I used to think a Fallout RPG done with enhanced JA2 game engine and mechanics would be pretty much the perfect game.

I've never played through FO2 or JA2 :)

Always wanted to, however.

I've never played through FO2 or JA2 :)

Always wanted to, however.
That is pure blasphemy march over to GOG and buy the games right now mister.:shakefist:

Oh, I've bought the games several times :)
Then that's even worse there collecting virtual dust. The poor neglected games.:tears: This also reminds me it's time to replay both again.

Then that's even worse there collecting virtual dust. The poor neglected games.:tears: This also reminds me it's time to replay both again.

Well, as for Fallout 2 - I've just never been a fan of the setting. It's too depressing and samey. I did complete Fallout, but only because it's not a very long game.

JA2 - however - I really have no idea why I've never completed it. I love the combat system to death and always did.

It's just one of those games I never got through - and I don't really feel like it :(

I never replayed the Fallouts, but I did replay the Gothics two zillion times. JA1, Deadly Games, and JA2 as well. I think these games are the top most replayed for me. Oh and of course, STALKER.

Back
Top Bottom