Risen 2 - First Screens!

And I would bet the kind of people who prefer Risen to Oblivion don't really give a shit about what IGN thinks.

Heh, its all in sales though, which is unfortunate. I'm not sure why there is so much hostility when so many o f you commented on how bad skyrim looks, why is it not ok to mention it about risen?

The button on the official page says 'View artwork'.
are we watching the same thing?

Are you trying to say you know what they mean with "View artwork"?

Because I don't.

I'm just going by what I can see with my own eyes, and they look like touched up screenshots to me - especially the one with the ship. Look at the ground textures and the central character - and it's pretty obvious it's not handdrawn or prerendered. At least, that's what I get from it.

The other two I'm less certain of, but they're definitely not handdrawn pieces.

I'll bet they're all screenshots touched up for promotional purposes.

Anyone taking bets? :)

Heh, its all in sales though, which is unfortunate. I'm not sure why there is so much hostility when so many o f you commented on how bad skyrim looks, why is it not ok to mention it about risen?

Who said Skyrim looks bad? It looks pretty awesome, graphics wise.

So does this.

I wouldn't be surprised if they added a simple sailing model, though there's really no reason unless you can actually do something other than travel with your ship.

BTW - try looking at the ground texture in the picture with the ship and see if you still think it looks like concept art.

Argument is a moot point. The Deep Silver community rep Daniel "doberlec" Oberlechner stated at the WoR forums that this is "target concept art" or "illustrations" and not screenshots.
In other words one of the artists made these pieces of art (while being instructed by the design leads what to aim for and pay attention to) to illustrate to the whole art team what the general theme, look and style of the game should be like so that everyone is on the same level.

Argument is a moot point. The Deep Silver community rep Daniel "doberlec" Oberlechner stated at the WoR forums that this is "target concept art" or "illustrations" and not screenshots.
In other words one of the artists made these pieces of art (while being instructed by the design leads what to aim for and pay attention to) to illustrate to the whole art team what the general theme, look and style of the game should be like so that everyone is on the same level.

Source?

But if so, then I'm wrong and I'm sorry. But it certainly looks like screenshots to me.

... strange how Risen gets a pass…

PB fanboys are among the sturdiest of their kind so better get used to it ;) . I also find it amusing that the Risen 2 hero gets almost zero criticism for his looks but when Spellbound and JoWooD revealed the very similar looking "emo" hero of ArcaniA the (WoR/WoG) forums turned into a wildfire in seconds. The Risen 2 hero looks even more "emo" IMO (nice alliteration there huh? ;) ) but I'm not overly concerned with the looks of the hero myself so couldn't care less.

Myself, I enjoy quite a broad variety of styles and games. I don't give a shit whether Risen is better than ArcaniA or Oblivion or whether Skyrim is going to kick Risen 2's ass or vice versa. Just. Don't. Care. I own the Risen CE and have already preordered the Risen 2 CE the moment it popped up on Amazon.de the day before yesterday. I do own the Oblivion and the ArcaniA CEs and I am definitely going to preorder the Skyrim CE the moment that game pops up on Amazon.co.uk or Play.com (going to play the import English version for sure).

Everyone else have fun fighting over... well... what? :biggrin:

Source?

But if so, then I'm wrong and I'm sorry. But it certainly looks like screenshots to me.

Was too lazy to look for doberlec's post but a post saying the exact same thing from Deep Silver's "FrauS" who also seems to be part of the community team can be found right here. She(?) says that the "Heft" (the PC Games issue) contains actual screenshots but the pieces released on the PC Games website are all concept art.

I'm not saying you said it(although you were critical) but have a look at this thread, strange how Risen gets a pass…

I was just saying it looked like an upgraded Oblivion engine rather than something really new, I still think it looks great. Hell, Oblivion still looks great to me, I was just replaying it with Francesco's mod last month... the forests are amazing, and the Skyrim snow looks amazing.

Anyway, my preference for Risen is more about liking its gameplay more. Better quests, more choice and consequence, better exploration and a real challenge. That's why I liked Risen more. Oblivion had better combat and better lore, and obviously better production values.

In short I am super jazzed for Risen 2 AND Skyrim! Those new piratey-shots above this post look AWESOME!

Was too lazy to look for doberlec's post but a post saying the exact same thing from Deep Silver's "FrauS" who also seems to be part of the community team can be found right here. She(?) says that the "Heft" (the PC Games issue) contains actual screenshots but the pieces released on the PC Games website are all concept art.

They're calling them "illustrations" and "target-artwork", which can mean exactly what I'm saying they are - touched up screenshots to establish the mood they're going for, and to market the game.

It means nothing unless we know how they're doing them, and how they compare to the actual game.

Even if they're not in-game shots, I doubt the actual shots are that different - as they don't look particularly advanced compared to Risen.

Judging from the scans I linked to, I think they look extremely similar in quality and they all look like in-game renders with a few filters slapped on.

Hard to be sure of anything at this point, but I'll buy everyone a round and wear a funny hat - if they're not VERY close to how the game will actually look.

PB fanboys are among the sturdiest of their kind so better get used to it ;) . I also find it amusing that the Risen 2 hero gets almost zero criticism for his looks but when Spellbound and JoWooD revealed the very similar looking "emo" hero of ArcaniA the (WoR/WoG) forums turned into a wildfire in seconds. The Risen 2 hero looks even more "emo" IMO (nice alliteration there huh? ;) ) but I'm not overly concerned with the looks of the hero myself so couldn't care less.

Myself, I enjoy quite a broad variety of styles and games. I don't give a shit whether Risen is better than ArcaniA or Oblivion or whether Skyrim is going to kick Risen 2's ass or vice versa. Just. Don't. Care. I own the Risen CE and have already preordered the Risen 2 CE the moment it popped up on Amazon.de the day before yesterday. I do own the Oblivion and the ArcaniA CEs and I am definitely going to preorder the Skyrim CE the moment that game pops up on Amazon.co.uk or Play.com (going to play the import English version for sure).

Everyone else have fun fighting over… well… what? :biggrin:

I was just proving a point...

Are you trying to say you know what they mean with "View artwork"?

Because I don't.

I'm just going by what I can see with my own eyes, and they look like touched up screenshots to me - especially the one with the ship. Look at the ground textures and the central character - and it's pretty obvious it's not handdrawn or prerendered. At least, that's what I get from it.

The other two I'm less certain of, but they're definitely not handdrawn pieces.

I'll bet they're all screenshots touched up for promotional purposes.

Anyone taking bets? :)
artwork is just that, not ingame content or screenshot.
honestly, I can't believe how you can think these are screenshots no matter how many filters applied.
The number of details (waves, sky, trees) and actual characters and their outfits in particular and their poses. It's all too lively to be actual game.
thanks to Moriendor for clearing it up though.

They're calling them "illustrations" and "target-artwork", which can mean exactly what I'm saying they are - touched up screenshots to establish the mood they're going for, and to market the game.

It means nothing unless we know how they're doing them, and how they compare to the actual game.

Even if they're not in-game shots, I doubt the actual shots are that different - as they don't look particularly advanced compared to Risen.

Judging from the scans I linked to, I think they look extremely similar in quality and they all look like in-game renders with a few filters slapped on.

Hard to be sure of anything at this point, but I'll buy everyone a round and wear a funny hat - if they're not VERY close to how the game will actually look.
you just don't give up.
if you ever worked in a graphic design studio you'd know they have bundles of graphics and illustrations with which they can put together something like this.
And of course this is what the game will look like. It's what they're aiming for after all.

you just don't give up.
if you ever worked in a graphic design studio you'd know they have bundles of graphics and illustrations with which they can put together something like this.
And of course this is what the game will look like. It's what they're aiming for after all.

Instead of throwing tantrums pretending to know something you can't know, why don't you wait until we get some confirmed screenshots - and we can make a proper comparison.

I certainly intend to wait until I know for sure, before being convinced that my eyes are deceiving me.

when they cancelled the Pirates RPG , i was like WOW are they crazy, so the fact that RISEN2 is going that direction is AMAZING !!! Very excited guys but we wont play this for another 2 years atleast.

Instead of throwing tantrums pretending to know something you can't know, why don't you wait until we get some confirmed screenshots - and we can make a proper comparison.

I certainly intend to wait until I know for sure, before being convinced that my eyes are deceiving me.
how will screenshots prove anything? if they're close enough you'll be right?
do you realize the only definite word on this can be given the game creators and that's already happened?

how will screenshots prove anything? if they're close enough you'll be right?
do you realize the only definite word on this can be given the game creators and that's already happened?

I'm not interested in proving anything to you. I'm saying I need confirmation until I can accept that what I think look like touched up screenshots - are, in fact, something else - like handdrawn images.

They've said the shots are "illustrations" and "target-artwork" and we have no details as to how they're doing them. They might as well be the standard marketing "polished" screenshots most other developers use to sell their games, which is exactly what I'm claiming they look like.

Otherwise, point out your source where they're saying they're not using their game renderer to create those screenshots and then adding extra mood in photoshop.

Back
Top Bottom