Battle Brothers - A New Turn-Based Strategy RPG

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Battle Brothers is a turn-based SRPG that is being developed by a small studio called Overhype Studios. I have a video from last month with some pre-alpha gameplay.

About the game

Battle Brothers is a challenging turn based strategy RPG mix for PC, Mac and Linux. It is being developed by Overhype Studios and is in pre-alpha stage right now. The gameplay is inspired by such classics as X-com: UFO Defense and Jagged Alliance.

You take on the role of a leader of a band of mercenaries and adventurers on the hunt for treasure, fame and legendary artifacts. As you journey onwards, an epic scale invasion unfolds that leaves nothing but burning rubble in its wake. You and your Battle Brothers emerge as the people’s last hope to unravel the source of the invasion and strike at its heart. Will you turn out to be an able commander using cunning tactical outfits to emerge victorious, or will you fail miserably sending your men into a futile bloodbath? It is up to you, but be careful – every decision matters.

Gameplay

The game consists of a strategical layer, or worldmap, and a tactical combat layer. On the worldmap you can choose where to travel next in order to find places worth looting, enemies worth pursuing or towns to resupply and hire men at. This is also where you manage, level up and equip your troops, craft equipment and engage in discovering ancient mysteries through study of dusty tomes. Once you move close to an enemy force or potentially dangerous place you will switch to the tactical combat map where the actual fighting takes place. Both the worldmap and the combat maps will be procedurally generated so no two playthroughs will ever be alike.
You can also get in contact with the developer in our forums.

More information.

At the risk of sounding like a graphics whore, I find the bust-style character models off-putting. I realize this was done due to a very limited budget, and while it makes the game unique, I just find it unsettling. It's cool how your armor actually shows up on the err, heads, and how wounds show up. Yet, watching their gameplay video, it's like all I can think, is "man, this game would be pretty cool if they fixed those awful character models".

Now if this were a tablet game, I'd probably be more willing overlook the graphical limitation. For some reason I actually got an Android tablet awhile back and would love a game like this for it... But for a PC game, I guess I expect it to look a little nicer. Wish they'd do a Kickstarter to fund characters with bodies and battle animations. Or make an Android version.

Yep, I agree. I don't need hgh end graphics. The quality of the graphics is actually fine. But the bust style is not very appealing to me either.

Mixed feelings about this. I like tactic RPGs (Gladius being the best of them), but the art somehow makes my mind think it's not serious, ok for a tablet game but not for a PC/console game if that makes any sense.

That would make me the third person who love the bust style graphics.

i love it.

not much chess in your youth ?

I love chess. But this is a modern computer game, so I judge it differently. And the bust-style looks silly to me… I just can't take it seriously. It makes me think of Monty Python and the Holy Grail's just a flesh wound bit. "Come back here and take what's coming to you! I'll bite your legs off!"

Last edited:
Style is fine to me, and a far better choice of abstraction than a great many that have been making the rounds over much in the Indie sphere and otherwise this past fair while.

Blues Brothers ... Battle Brothers ... What's next ? ;)

I'm on the "would play in on my tablet or phone"-team.

…ok for a tablet game but not for a PC/console game if that makes any sense.
Excellent idea ! I would love to play such a game on my tablet as these are often too limited gameplay wise. On my PC that would be a welcome addition too, even if Matrix already pioneered the busts characters war game genre recently with the Unity of command series :)

sounds and looks fine (whores), let's hope they can deliver on that gameplay! in particular the random maps idea seems tough - tile-based srpgs are usually pretty dependent upon meticulous level design to ensure good difficulty balance.

Back
Top Bottom