Dragon Age: Inquisition - Preview @ Only SP

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Only SP has a new preview of Dragon Age: Inquisition calling it a step in the right direction for fantasy RPGs.

Bioware is describing their main storyline as a campaign, which to me has a much different meaning than calling it a “main quest” etc. To me that means it’s not going to be another Skyrim where the narrative is shallow and uninteresting due to having to stuff the world with so much filler content. Some of the sidequests were more exciting in Skyrim than the main quest, to be completely honest. What Bioware seems to be doing with Inquisition is making the open world part of the game an accessory to the main storyline, and as with other open world RPG’s the main idea of the game is for the player to explore and create their own path. Inquisition allows you create your own path through the choices you make, but unlike most open world games, since the narrative drives the game forward these choices have a much bigger impact than deciding against doing a fetch quest for a random NPC in an open world.

Having the player feel like they’re playing a linear campaign in an open world would seemingly give the player the best of both worlds. You get a game with a directed narrative that is compelling and allows the player to take breaks when needed, but also drives them to finish the story. To me, having an open world feel like doing a bunch of different quests to get to one final goal is just tedious and uninteresting.

If Bioware can create a campaign in an open world setting similar to the likes of The Witcher 2, they may make a fan out of me yet.
More information.

BioWare always called their storyline in the Dragon Age games "campaign". The campaign team include the writers, cutscene animator and level creators + a bunch of designers. It's the largest working on the game too.

And this is when I've just shown that I spend too much time on the BSN....

If it is like DAO I will be happy enough with the game and looking forward to it. Disliked the article though. There is no point in game reviews/previews to insult other games. Focus on the game in-hand and it is easy enough to express what you like or dislike in games without having to try and draw attention to your article through cheap writing.

OMG the snapshots are taken from Skyrim. Well perhaps some The Witcher x.

Strong story line in few small open world areas... So they still haven't learned about natural obstacles and natural doors design.

It's still a challenge and frankly I don't think they know the good examples of that. They'll have to invent all from an almost inexistent base, good luck, and I won't be surprised if the release isn't pushed back even more.

And BG1 isn't a good blueprint for this goal, and even less BG2. BG1 won't match their aspiration of a strong story line, and BG2 is a railroad when the story progress.

The article is probably a crap but it's not an insult to quote "Skyrim where the narrative is shallow and uninteresting", it's a fact.

OMG the snapshots are taken from Skyrim. Well perhaps some The Witcher x.

Strong story line in few small open world areas… So they still haven't learned about natural obstacles and natural doors design.

It's still a challenge and frankly I don't think they know the good examples of that. They'll have to invent all from an almost inexistent base, good luck, and I won't be surprised if the release isn't pushed back even more.

And BG1 isn't a good blueprint for this goal, and even less BG2. BG1 won't match their aspiration of a strong story line, and BG2 is a railroad when the story progress.

The article is probably a crap but it's not an insult to quote "Skyrim where the narrative is shallow and uninteresting", it's a fact.

Not that I would totally disagree but, How can something so subjective be a fact?

Mmm because it's obvious subjectivity. Ie it was in middle of the joke and the negative critic.

It's not an insult, it's not objective, it's not purely randomly subjective.

EDIT: The myth of neutral articles with only objective elements is far back in past and destroyed since an eternity.

Now look what you have done saki o_o

Now look what you have done saki o_o
I love the ignore option. Saves me time and energy.:)
BioWare always called their storyline in the Dragon Age games "campaign". The campaign team include the writers, cutscene animator and level creators + a bunch of designers. It's the largest working on the game too.

And this is when I've just shown that I spend too much time on the BSN….

No just means you like the games. Nothing wrong with that.:nod:
If it is like DAO I will be happy enough with the game and looking forward to it. Disliked the article though. There is no point in game reviews/previews to insult other games. Focus on the game in-hand and it is easy enough to express what you like or dislike in games without having to try and draw attention to your article through cheap writing.
I don't see anything bad here just the writers opinion. Skyrim is a good game but he is right. Sometimes it's good to play a linear RPG instead.

I love the ignore option. Saves me time and energy.:)
That's fine your love/hate relationship with Bioware is totally boring. That said I wonder how you guess saki reference, lie or divination? It's not a question, it's pure rhetoric.

That's fine your love/hate relationship with Bioware is totally boring. That said I wonder how you guess saki reference, lie or divination? It's not a question, it's pure rhetoric.
I'm talking about you with your rhetoric on how you know better than most watchers. Though I doubt you will understand what I'm saying.

Please don't respond as I wont read it.:)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom