Fallout Fallout 1 Playthough

Thoth

Sentinel
I just played through Fallout 1 for like the 100th time. I gotta say, this game and it's sequel destroys fallout 3. I know it's been debated to death, but seriously, did anyone that developed F3 even play the previous games? It's a crying shame really, it just seems like they can't make a good RPG these days.

I remember that long long ago someone at Bethesda said about Fallout that it's not a kind of game they would like to make. That was even before Oblivion. Now, when they could buy a license and make a "Fallout 3" they magically changed to be old fans of Fallout :)

i think that's a reason to be more negative to fallout 3, what the RPG watch editors did was disregard the name, and just look at whatever it was a good game or not.

I really hate companies buying fantastic series and ruining them.

If you like an action RPG, with a pause mode which makes blood and heads fly, that's good for you, but fallout was about strategic turn based combats, and great dialogue etc etc.

They could call it Action Fallout for all I care, but do not pretend it is a sequal to something completey different.

That's complicate to recapture a spirit of a game. I haven't yet play F3 but is this trademark reuse just a lie or a failure? I don't feel obvious to answer this.

If I understand well what I read about the game you get sort of turn based fight if you want, ton of dialogs (that they suck could be another problem), very similar story background, well same in fact. Other than that, solo instead of team and full 3D instead of iso.

The result could look like a rip off of the trademark but could just be a mid failure to recapture and renew a game spirit.

It's not a sequel anyways. It's a completly different story taking place in a different part of that world. That's why I find it humerous to see people get so bent out of shape about it.

Most sequels aren't a direct follow up to the story and take place in a different place and time of a same world.

Well, what if I said like, I am going to buy the gothic license and make Gothic 5, and it is going to be a turn-based strategy game ? But the gothic setting will still be there......

Lol, that idea seems quite good, go on go for it!:biggrin: But am I wrong didn't they try implement a turn based fight? They could have fail but at least tried.

Fallout 3 isn't even similiar to Fallout, JDR13. It's not just different characters or part of the world. *Everything* is different. Dialogues are retarded (Hi, did u c my father? He's mid age man!), story is retarded (omg, my father run away, I need to find him and save the world!), characters are retarded ("evil" or "good", which means they are unpleasand and stupid or naive, overpleasant and stupid; there is no "deep" characters, you don't really know anybody), even the world is made empty (one town... ok...). Oh, and supermutants are made as retards who attack on sight, granades that looks after boom like a bomb etc. Oh, I forgot about build-in cheat system called VATS where you even without skills can kill a enemy shooting at head with hit chance over 60% from medium distance which kills even fights.

Waaaa! Would you like some cheese to go with that whine? ;)

First of all- We're not talking about a normal sequel, which is usually released at least within 3-4 years later, we're talking about a game that was developed nearly a Decade after the last one. Why would anyone be naive enough to think it's not going to be a lot different?

Second of all- It's not as if Bethesda promised one thing and delivered another. They stated right from the beginning what Fallout 3 was going to be, a first person crpg that was heavy on action, and that's exactly what they delivered. The only problem with it is all the fanboys who insist on trying to compare it to FO1&2, when it was never meant to be like those games in the first place.

Waaaa! Would you like some cheese to go with that whine? ;)

First of all- We're not talking about a normal sequel, which is usually released at least within 3-4 years later, we're talking about a game that was developed nearly a Decade after the last one. Why would anyone be naive enough to think it's not going to be a lot different?

Second of all- It's not as if Bethesda promised one thing and delivered another. They stated right from the beginning what Fallout 3 was going to be, a first person crpg that was heavy on action, and that's exactly what they delivered. The only problem with it is all the fanboys who insist on trying to compare it to FO1&2, when it was never meant to be like those games in the first place.

My biggest problem with Fallout 3 is what has already been mentioned here: Bethesda bought someone else's creative work and completely fucked it up. Just because they plastered the pipboy 5 or 6 times on every game screen doesn't make it Fallout. Sure, they got the original intro song intended for F1 (OMG HOMAGE!) and they sure shoved in our face that the Fallout world took place in the 50s. And what they did to Harold... these ballsy fucks think they get to kill Harold?

I can honestly say that I never got bored playing the Fallout games, even though I knew what was in every stash and all the dialogue. I must have played Fallout 3 for perhaps ten hours before I realized there was nothing to do but hoard shit objects that Bethesda couldn't even be bothered to write up a quick description for. So yeah, I tried to play the game not as a Fallout game, but just as another game. Then I realized I was seriously playing Oblivion. The textures look like Oblivion, the character faces look like Oblivion, the incredibly boring and safe (they must have instructed the voice actors to enunciate each curse word to show edginess)

I guess my whole point is that Bethesda could have tried *real* hard and come up with their own shit. I know that's difficult for them seeing how they managed to step backwards as far as story and setting goes from Morrowind to Oblivion, but just maybe they could have come up with something new for a change.

Anyways, let me dry my tears

I wonder why there's so many Bethesda fans there, for me they just made disasters, I'd save perhaps Morrowind but just a game that's not a lot and even this one include many crap like the more ugly facial graphics of the game history, the worst Fantasy graphics, a long beginning quite tedious up to discourage many players here (I had to start play 3 times before to succeed enter the game), many very generic quests, boring action to train some skill like casting in void and many other...

Yes there are good points too, and quite a lot, but one success among many, that was just luck.

Good Lord....:rolleyes:

That's EXACTLY what they did, and that's what you're bitching about.

wut.

In other words, not buy other peoples work, but make up their own universe, you know, use their noggin.

You mean like the Elder Scrolls series?

BAM! Exactly! See, in my eyes and as I previously stated, I saw a real step back from Morrowind. In Morrowind, there was:

-A creative story
-Interesting Art
-Dialogue that, although repetitive, at least had some interesting elements to some of it
-A fairly alien atmosphere (the armor of the different families, for example)

Oblivion had:

-Boring and safe art
-Boring dialogue

Since Bethesda proved that they can actually ruin their own settings and stories, they apparently had to buy someone elses story and setting. Actually they bought one of the best around, but rather then stick with it, they trampled it and managed to completely fuck it up.

Back
Top Bottom