The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Another Short Roundup

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The amount of links for more videos and articles for Witcher 3 have popped up today. I will just list some of them today as I don't have time to round them all up.

So the first link is for a new audio podcast on Gamertag Radio.

This week on episode 478 of Gamertag Radio, we sit down with CD Projekt Red to discuss The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. During our conversation we go over introducing new players to the Witcher franchise, how your choices will matter and affect the story, the importance of potions and crafting, along with changes to the combat system.
Next Gamebolt has a new preview about the games map size.

When CD Projekt claimed that The Witcher 3 will be absolutely massive in scale, they weren’t joking. Thanks to a few NeoGaf users we can finally compare the map size of The Witcher 3 to several other open world games. So far the Witcher 3 map is around 136 km2 which only includes Novegrad, No Man’s Land and Skellige Islands. There are are around 4-6 regions more who sizes are unknown at this point.

That means The Witcher 3 is at least 3.7 times bigger than GTA: San Andreas (36 km2), 1.5 times bigger than GTA 5 (81 km2), 3.3 times bigger than Red Dead Redemption (41), 3 times bigger than Far Cry 4 (46 km2) and 3.5 times bigger than Skyrim (39 km2). In short, the final map will be absolutely massive in scale.
Followed by Twinfinite with a preview about the games narrative.
This week the developer treated us to the first images of the game’s map, and as you can see below, it’s pretty damn huge. Take a closer look, and you’ll notice that The Witcher 3 isn’t just one big map; instead, it’s split into two maps: a smaller Prologue map and the larger Northern Realm. The Witcher 3 also has an archipelago destination, which you’ll only be able to visit by boat, or fast traveling to this location. While this means you’ll encounter a loading screen and a break in continuity, it is fortunately one of the few instances where you’ll be pulled out of the action.
I will end the news-bit with a few videos thanks to danutz_plusplus for the links.

More information.

Last edited:
I've always wondered about how people estimate the size of a game map in kilometers. I mean, Skyrim isn't 39 square km, no way. It's maybe 10km2, if it's lucky. Not that it matters. :)

You can easily calculate the size in square meters, when you do a game you set a measure-factor which corresponds to a real world measurement. For example if a game tree is 300 game units high, you might have set the factor 1 meter is 10 game units, which means the real world size of this tree is 30 meters. You can easily do the same to calculate the real-world size of the game world.

I do not think Skyrim is smaller than the stated size, however it is probably just that it feels smaller because it is so generic and boring.

Wouldn't that make it feel larger, as in, "Damn, this boring tundra is going on forever! When will the damn thing end?" ;)

But I mean, you can probably run across the entire map in less than a couple of hours an I don't think the Dovahkiin is a marathon world record holder, that is not even taking in account that he's wearing a full armor set. :D

Haha. Like how the neutral and otherwise informative post about game units and measuring distances in-game devolves into partisan bickering with its "generic and boring" flourish at the end.

I do tend to agree, though, that Skyrim feels smaller than the stated amount. Not because I found it "generic and boring", but because they simply crammed too many ruins and items of interest into what was otherwise supposed to be a vast and untamed wilderness... presumably to keep twitchy people from going "BORED NOW!" and throwing down their controller in favour of watching the squirrel outside their window.

But if TW3 really is as large is it seems to be, I'm hoping to high heaven that there's an honest-to-goodness wilderness feel to large parts of it, even though I know that , once people actually get the game in their hands, I think will end up being one of the largest gripes about it: It's TOO big. There's nothing to DO. Where are the QUESTS?!

My feeling is that a cityscape is only enhanced by the empty wilds surrounding it, and that a nice long stretch of wilderness is a wonderful reprieve from the bustle of a thriving town, but I know that a lot of people require constant and (perhaps even more importantly, uniform) stimulation in order to not wander off to some other game.

Haha. Like how the neutral and otherwise informative post about game units and measuring distances in-game devolves into partisan bickering with its "generic and boring" flourish at the end.
Erm… I don't think I wrote a post anywhere about this. But if I did, it'd look exactly as you described.

It really was amazing just how generic and boring they made Skyrim, considering all the love poured into the engine. Really a stunning feat.

Wouldn't that make it feel larger, as in, "Damn, this boring tundra is going on forever! When will the damn thing end?" ;)

But I mean, you can probably run across the entire map in less than a couple of hours an I don't think the Dovahkiin is a marathon world record holder, that is not even taking in account that he's wearing a full armor set. :D

Haha, well that is another way to look at it. One thing that is almost never realistic in games is the character speed :) especilly wearing full armor, so that might be another reason than generic and boring in that case. I was thinking more a long the terms… I've been here before this world is so small, which is the way I feel playing that game. I am very good a recognizing patterns so I notice these things very easily, others don't at all I believe.

Try to imagine that you had the endurance of a normal person and the walking speed of a normal person with a full aromor set, gaming would be boring, as it'd take forever to get across the map….

Try to imagine that you had the endurance of a normal person and the walking speed of a normal person with a full aromor set, gaming would be boring, as it'd take forever to get across the map….

But but it will really be immersive :p

On side note, some of these so called you tube personalities are retards. They can't say something without using the "fuck" as noun, verb, adjective, adverb etc.

It really was amazing just how generic and boring they made Skyrim, considering all the love poured into the engine. Really a stunning feat.

Well, the tundra is generic and boring. I mean really, really boring. Try driving across it sometime. That's a major drawback of RPG's set in such locations: some people clamor for games set in such exotic locations, but making them interesting is a definite challenge.

Gotta say the video posted a few days back with the horse-chase... the guy that claimed his wagon was attacked by monsters.

Was EXACTLY like Red Dead Redemption, which is not a good thing, IMO.

Erm… I don't think I wrote a post anywhere about this. But if I did, it'd look exactly as you described.

As a rule, I find gamers -- perhaps because of the supposed anonymity of the internet -- to be pretty passionate about their likes and dislikes (and vocal, too), and some of that is bound to creep into the odd post here and there, whether it's intended or not. I do it myself every so often, but inciting flame wars was never really my thing, and it's even less so now.

I think I'm just getting old.

[back on topic] Like Geralt in the vast and (hopefully) wildernessy wilderness of The Witcher 3: The Wild Hunt! [product shot]

Part of me almost hopes that one of the weapons they'll give him is a walking cane. :)

Gotta say the video posted a few days back with the horse-chase… the guy that claimed his wagon was attacked by monsters.

Was EXACTLY like Red Dead Redemption, which is not a good thing, IMO.

Yeah, I can see that. No bad thing at all - one of my favourite games. I just hope W3 succeeds in what it sets out to do as well as Red Dead, which was almost the perfect western game, IMO. Some of the horseback combat, where Geralt lops some heads off, and time slows down for a moment, had a very similar vibe.

After the poor performance of Lords of the Fallen on my six years old CPU and 4 gb ram and Dragon Age Inquisition's refusal to run because of my dual core CPU, Witcher 3 nailed the coffin with its system requirements. So last week I finally upgraded my system to a brand new CoreI7-4790k and 16 gb ram. Although my graphics card nearly meets the minimum requirements (Geforce 650ti boost) I'm finally ready for Witcher 3. Bring it on, I dare you Witcher. :)

To me it was the cut scene conversation that cut immediately to the bad guy taking off on his horse... Geralt had ZERO chance to grab him before he fully mounted?

Then the cut scenes "The next day..." afterwards where he turned the guy in? Gets a very Grand Theft Auto feel, which I HATE... Of course everyone here will love the game no matter what though.

Then the cut scenes "The next day…" afterwards where he turned the guy in? Gets a very Grand Theft Auto feel, which I HATE… Of course everyone here will love the game no matter what though.

Does it really matter? It could be the greatest game ever made and you would still be bitching about something.

On side note, some of these so called you tube personalities are retards. They can't say something without using the "fuck" as noun, verb, adjective, adverb etc.

Yeah, I noticed that. You can always check out my YouTube channel which covers RPG news. I make sure to keep things G-rated (but fun!). :)

I do like Angry Joe, though. He is pretty funny at times. I watched some of his video and the game looks cool. :)

Back
Top Bottom