KBs and KVMs

P

pibbur who

Or more explicitly compatibility issues between keyboards and KVM switches.

I have an Aten CS1784 4P dual line KVM switch which I'm happy with.
I have a Razer Deathstalker Keyboard, which I'm mostly happy with. But it has it's problems, and HHR doesn't like that type of flat-key keyboards. So I have decided to replace it with a mechanical one.

I have a Roccat Tyon mouse which I'm very happy with. So when I discovered I could get a Roccat Isku FX at a comfortably low price at my computer parts pusher, I ordered one.

Keyboard works very well, lots of nice featureres. But only if connected directly to the computer. It won't work with the KVM switch. Searching the web I find that Roccat's support for KVM leaves a lot to be desired, and the ISKU is definitely not KVM friendly. So I have to return the thing.

I knew already that some Logitech (not HP) keyboards don't go well with KVM's. But I've uses many other keyboards without any problems. A few years ago I even had a Roccat Arvo which worked as it should. So didn't expect difficulties with Roccat. Too bad.

So, what to try next? For other technical reasons I don't want another Arvo. Can anyone recommend a mechanical gaming keyboard or two, which they can confirm to be KVM-compliant?

pibbur who has reinserted the Deathssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssstalker.

PS. The keyboard works if I connect it to the USB hub on the KVM. But then I lose all port switching shortcuts, so that's not an option. DS.

PS2. The keyboard HHR recommends above all is also not an option. I haven't seen it available anywhere in Norway. DS2.

Edit: Corrected mistake. it's Logitech who to my knowledge often has problems with KVMs. Not HP.

Last edited:
Nice keyboard. But I made a mistake in my OP. I claimed that HP is known for having problems with KVM's. That's incorrect, it's Logitech who according to my knowledge/experience often has this type of problems.

So I don't think I will get that KB. Pity.

Thanks anyway.

pibbur

Just be careful about the noise some mechanical keyboards can make. Some people don't mind but it annoys me quite a bit so I picked one that was quiet.

I have one of those old Keytronic mechanical keyboards also. Great key action, heavy and super reliable. The thing is ancient, maybe as old as you ... ok not that old. But the noise it makes ... uggggg!

Back
Top Bottom