The Chinese are starting to make high quality cheap phones

Too bad about the screen - and good luck on the next part of the adventure! Definitely heard good things about the OnePlus Two.

Did you check out that 'BlackPhone'? I know that you are very concerned about privacy and security, would be interested in hearing your thoughts.

I had talked about it in the last post. I think as I said it's a trojan horse for Silent Circle's paid for services. If you truly care about privacy you will make it accessible to anyone. Plus how can you convince everyone you know to pay for Silent Circle's services just to have the privilege to communicate with you?

I had talked about it in the last post. I think as I said it's a trojan horse for Silent Circle's paid for services. If you truly care about privacy you will make it accessible to anyone. Plus how can you convince everyone you know to pay for Silent Circle's services just to have the privilege to communicate with you?

Ah, thanks - had missed that while reading about your bad screen problem! Good point on the paid services - I honestly hadn't read very much about it before.

After having used the Oneplus Two for a week I can say it is the best smartphone I have used so far. It offers tremendous value for the money and it is geared purely toward the enthusiast. I like everything about it. It is the best current choice IMO.

I don't understand why everyone is saying that the Snapdragon 810 is overheating, I never had any problems with this phone. If anything other phones got far warmer.

I think it has the best case in the whole industry, it's so sturdy and comfortable to hold in your hand, plus it looks really cool. I might buy only Oneplus phones from now on.

After all this time I looked at Elephone's forums and it has a surprisingly active and resourcesful community, which actually created many different custom roms for the phone. I installed one of them based on AOSP 5.1.1 and it successfully reestablishes encryption while maintaining performance. There is also Cyanogenmod.

Too bad that their build quality can be shaky. Usually when getting a Chinese phone it is very hard to get software support but Elephone (and OnePlus) seem to be the shining exceptions.

Other than that Elephone's phone are pretty cool.

I've been looking at this, it is the Innos D6000. It is the smartphone with the best battery life known so far and it is very solidly built. In fact it has two batteries, one internal, and one external. The phone will first use the external battery and will resort to the internal one if the external one becomes empty, so its capacity can be maintained and the external battery can be replaced when it become to weak.

I decided to order it because I am tired of weak battery lives, my Oneplus Two barely lasts more than 3 hours of screen on time while using the Internet. This will be at least three times as good. The Oneplus Two kept having its battery drained while I was on a flight over the Pacific. This one should last all the way, and while I wait for hours at the airport too!

Definitely the Chinese are starting to make quite ingenious products that answer to their users' needs in ways which other manufacturers don't.

These companies along with Xiaomi and Huawei are taking some serious market share - and that includes the US market as well. It is all coming at the low end of the market, and like everywhere it is coming directly at the expense of competing Android makers like Samsung (whose China sales are down 50% in 2015 compared to 2014!).

I think the next few years are going to be very interesting ... and while I am certain pple will continue to absolutely own the high end, I feel they made a mistake (again) by not making a release to focus on the low-mid market (they'll never do 'cheap' phone)

Well the reason these Chinese phones are not taking the North American market by storm is because they are ridden with patent issues, and many of these phones (though really not all) are flagrant copies of other phones. They would get hit with lawsuits instantly. Though they are more than happy to sell them to Westerners through the Internet.

The likes of Elephone, Xiaomi and Doogee are taking a lot of expansion internationally but it is outside the G7 for obvious reasons.

The Innos is a good phone, but it's a bit too heavy for my liking and it has a few weird bugs. I will only use it for long international trips.

I still use the One Plus 2 as my daily driver. I still think nothing touches it on the market as far as price/performance goes.

The other Chinese phones have very little software support and are often shoddily built. Also the Asus Zenfone 2 is a decent phone but it's ugly and the camera is awful.

Oneplus is just about the only budget manufacturer that makes a great camera and a very powerful phone for a very low price. It is in a class of its own.

I also continue to hear pretty good things about the OnePlus Two ... but the lack of NFC, wireless charging and the horrible slow chargingwere deal breakers for a couple of friends.

The recent Motorola phones (in the US anyway) seem to be solid and are getting some decent early looks.

I grabbed the iPhone 6s (got rid of the 6 Plus), and am happy with the smaller size. The performance is truly incredible - I had tried the Galaxy 6 and Note 5 on loan for a month, and the iPhone 6 Plus was a better and more consistent performer ... and the 6s greatly outpaces that. The new TouchID is nearly instant, and the 'Force Touch' has quickly become something I use all the time.

Most of those features I don't care about. NFC to me is a gimmick. Wireless charging I don't care about. Fast charging I read that it weakens the battery's capacity quicker.

I have more and more trouble with the UI of iOS too. All the fonts are super tiny and I don't like that. There is no function to see all your apps and select one of them conveniently like there is since Lollipop. You can't close apps. There is no back button. The apps are very often not optimized for the plus resolution and it's ugly, while Android takes care of that automatically.

I just flashed Marshmallow on my N5, I was still on Kit Kat (highly modified tho). I am liking it alot so far. The Fit app is neat and the granular permissions I like alot. Rooted it for an ad blocking program and NOVA for the misc tweaks. I wouldn't mind a new phone but with none of the new ones having wireless charging I'm gonna stick with this for a bit longer, till the 820s come out it looks like.

I really don't understand why people say that iPhones don't get sluggish. I brought my iPhone 6 Plus for my vacations in the Philippines and I am stunned at how slowly everything is going. My OnePlus 2 is MUCH faster. It's not normal that a one year old phone acts like this. So imagine when it gets the new update.

Also I was stunned at how fast battery life is being drained, I don't see any significant difference between it and my OnePlus 2. Except the OP2 costs nearly three times less.

Back
Top Bottom