HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Everything you ever wanted to know about the world of Fallout:

A Beginner's Guide to the world of Fallout

War, war never changes.

With Fallout 4 due out in a couple of weeks, millions of people are set to leap into the post-apocalyptic open world Bethesda has spent the last few years crafting.

Not all will have played Fallout 3, Bethesda Game Studios' previous entry in the series. Nor will all have played Fallout: New Vegas, the follow-up made by Obsidian. Nor will all have played Interplay's Fallout 1 and Fallout 2, the now old-school role-playing games that sparked the franchise into life in the late nineties.

If Fallout is alien to you, if, when you hear of "the Wasteland", you think not of post-nuclear California but current day Croydon, then you're in the right place! Welcome to our beginner's guide to the world of Fallout.

[...]
More information.

It's the non-stop AAA trailer parade… :)

I actually saw a Fallout 4 advertisement on the TV the other day. It seemed almost surreal.

Yeah, if I see Vault Boy giving me the thumbs up one more time on a bus advertisement in the city, I'm going to get me a can of red paint and make my own bloody mess. ;)

Are the FPS Fallout games really so sophisticated they need a "beginner's guide"?

As they say in TV shows and movies when giving a gun to someone new: "You point this end towards the bad guy and you squeeze here".

That is all info you need for a FPS like F4.

Watch the video; it is actually quite decent IMHO. Naturally I'll wait for reviews to see if the game is any good. It might be more FPSish then RPGish (won't know for a bit) but i'm not sure that will be a horrible thing if it is fun.

Are the FPS Fallout games really so sophisticated they need a "beginner's guide"?

You're taking it wrong.

Some people are not playing games but are watching others play and are watching trailers. These stuff is for them. And for reviewers who score games based on trailers and not based on an actual game.

No more classic demos. We're in era where instead of demos you get trailers/streams where hiccups and glitches are easy to hide. If there is a demo, you're asked to pay for it (example: Metal Gear Ground Zeros).

No more classic demos. We're in era where instead of demos you get trailers/streams where hiccups and glitches are easy to hide. If there is a demo, you're asked to pay for it (example: Metal Gear Ground Zeros).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QM6LoaqEnY

The lesson from the video is that we buyers should not complain about a lack of demos. We basically demonstrated that it's an absolutely awful business decision to make a demo.

I just laugh when I hear people watching others playing video games. I had my fill of that in the seventies, I'd prefer to play the game, not watch some twit trying to play it.

The lesson from the video is that we buyers should not complain about a lack of demos. We basically demonstrated that it's an absolutely awful business decision to make a demo.
Yeah, it demonstrates you have enough confidence in your core game to actually allow customers to play it before handing over their money. I can see why they'd be reluctant to do that.

Steam allows an end-run around this now. Refund if you're not satisfied within first two hours of gameplay. (just don't spend it all picking your stats and hair style)

Well, one thing is certain: there won't ever be a demo for Fallout 4.

Pete Hines recently tweeted:

Pete Hines @DCDeacon:
@NuclearDrifting we have no plans for a demo version
Pete Hines @DCDeacon:
@NuclearDrifting no demo. Not possible to cut up the game into a small piece

I just laugh when I hear people watching others playing video games. I had my fill of that in the seventies, I'd prefer to play the game, not watch some twit trying to play it.

This. I don't get why so many kids these days are fascinated by watching people play games on YouTube. Sometimes I'll check out a few minutes of footage if I'm trying to get a feel for the way a game plays, but I have zero interest in sitting there for hours watching someone else play.

Well, one thing is certain: there won't ever be a demo for Fallout 4.

I thought that kind of went without saying. Afaik, Bethesda hasn't done a demo since Daggerfall.

Sorry my soundcard farted and all I see there is a bad drawing video.

Can't help you with sound, sorry.

Extra Credits takes a semi professional view of game design and development similar to what you'd find on Gamasutra. The art style was a light hearted take on Zero Punctuation, the fast paced profane cynical review show by Yahtzee.

Back
Top Bottom