2008 elections today!

so who's it going to be?

• Total voters
nope didn't vote dedecker but cdv/nva. Let's hope this will be a different government than purple. Although I find it sad that there is still a cordon sanitair after VB reaching 20%.
What did you vote bartacus?

I voted the same way as you, titus. My personal vote went to Yves Leterme/Frieda Brepoels for the senate and Inge Vervotte/ Bart De Wever for the Chamber. And like you, I want to see a difference in governement. About the Cordon against Vlaams Belang: that I knew when I voted for CD&V/NVA. You forget the Union ACV which plays an important role in CD&V. I hope for a orange-blue governement with lijst DD.

@Corwin: It depends on what you call hostile, but there are disturbances in Belgium too off course. But I don't laugh with another person trying to speak the other language. (Unless it's offcourse 'strikske', the chairman of the PS Frenchspeaking and thinking he can become premier with only two words of Dutch.)

Bartacus/Titus--what is this sinister sounding cordon sanitaire? My very sketchy french wants to make it into some kind of health-related quarantine, which doesn't make sense...

No it isn't but they treat it like it is a disease. The cordon sanitair is that no single party wants to cooperate with the Vlaams Belang "Flemish interest roughly translated" they are an extreme right party wich do get 20% of the peoples vote

Ah, so they are labeling this party and banding against it? I think we have a sort of cordon d'embarassement for our right-wingers also. (Other parties are embarrassed if they accidentally agree with them.) :)
Thanks titus. Though I don't understand in full the complexity of your country's party structure, I find it interesting and a great model for other governments. Diversity is hard to represent in any government, but two parties (which are really just two faces of one party) really does a poor job of it.

Back
Top Bottom