Pricewatch!

If anyone (in the US) is looking for Arcanum, it's available for $19.95 at gogamer--under new releases, of all things. Not a super price, but I've seen it higher.

A re-release of some kind perhaps? Good news for anyone looking for a new copy of that game. I wonder if it includes the same bundle as the original release.

GoGamer is also selling F.E.A.R. Platinum for only $19.99 right now. A great deal for one of the best FPS in recent years - includes both expansion packs.

I saw Arcanum fo 5 Euros in a cheap looking DVD box at the German electronics chain called "Saturn".
So, it's definitively still being sold.

To my surprise, there was Quest for Glory V (similar box) on the shelf below it, but I don't remember the price anymore.

... jeez, and to think that I got a 'package deal' on Arcanum, Pool of Radiance 2, and Lionheart on eBay for $11 ... and that was more than 4 years ago ...

... jeez, and to think that I got a 'package deal' on Arcanum, Pool of Radiance 2, and Lionheart on eBay for $11 ... and that was more than 4 years ago ...

Doesn't surprise me one bit, there were probably surplus amounts of those titles back then.

Madness sale has Heroes of Might and Magic V for $7.90 @ gogamer. The two expansions are down to $19.90--about ten bucks off. Maybe this is a sign that the complete edition for NA is at least being thought about.

Allright, just a heads up:
There seems to be this awesome collection for sale all over the world,
and it's pretty damn cheap once you read what's inside the box -
http://www.atari.com.au/games/info.do?id=756

Ultimate Dungeons & Dragons contains the following games from the Dungeons and Dragons Series:
- Neverwinter Nights + Exp 1 & 2
- Icewind Dale + Exp 1
- Icewind Dale 2
- Baldurs Gate + Exp 1
- Baldurs Gate 2 + Exp 1
- Temple of Elemental Evil
- Demonstone
- Dragonshard

There's also this (I have bought this one here in Finland- it's and excellent set.)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Forgotten-Realms-Deluxe-PC-DVD/dp/B000HIZ7KI

* Forgotten Realms Deluxe (PC DVD) Contains:
* Neverwinter Nights
* Neverwinter Nights Expansion Pack: The Shadows of the Undrentide
* Neverwinter Nights Expansion Pack:Â The Hordes of the Underdark
* Baldur's Gate 1
* Baldur's Gate Expansion Pack: Tales of the Sword Coast
* Baldur's Gate 2
* Baldur's Gate 2 Expansion Pack: Throne of Baal
* Icewind Dale 1
* Icewind Dale Expansion Pack: Heart of Winter
* Icewind Dale 2

- So basically it is the same but does not have ToEE, demonstone or dragonshard (which.. is okay with me :D ) But by all means, for those who do not have all of these games, go for the bigger pak. That thing will look awesome on the shelf too :D

Then for the older stuff:
This - http://www.mobygames.com/game/gamefest-forgotten-realms-classics
Is still available here in Finnish online stores for basically pocket money,
so might be a good buy for anyone wanting to own those games - even as a part of a cheap re-release.

"A compilation of the AD&D Forgotten Realms series through 1996, including 14 complete games: Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, Pools of Darkness, Hillsfar, Eye of the Beholder I-III, Dungeon Hack, Gateway to the Savage Frontier, Treasures of the Savage Frontier, Menzoberranzan. This series also includes Blood and Magic, as well as an interactive demo of Baldur's Gate."

This is basically a cheapo version of
this http://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/forgotten-realms-archives
Which I have bought from a finnish online auction site.

I llluuuuuuuvv shovelware. Great games almost free of charge in convenient box-sets :D

Last edited:
Ultimate Dungeons & Dragons contains the following games from the Dungeons and Dragons Series:
- Neverwinter Nights + Exp 1 & 2
- Icewind Dale + Exp 1
- Icewind Dale 2
- Baldurs Gate + Exp 1
- Baldurs Gate 2 + Exp 1
- Temple of Elemental Evil
- Demonstone
- Dragonshard

Temple of elemental evil and dragonshard might be worth getting (demonstone not). Rest I just own except baldurs gate 1 + exp1. Sad thing is I had two copies but the disks of both versions were so worn they simply didnt work anymore.

Then for the older stuff:
This - http://www.mobygames.com/game/gamefest-forgotten-realms-classics
Is still available here in Finnish online stores for basically pocket money,
so might be a good buy for anyone wanting to own those games - even as a part of a cheap re-release.

Good compilation just for the beholders and hillsfar but it does not have ALL gold box games. Its missing the key dragonlance epic (based on the bestseller fantasy books): Champions of Krynn, Death Knights of Krynn, and The Dark Queen of Krynn.

Why they didnt include it is just beyond me. Youll meet the characters of the books in that series so Im sure any fan of the bookseries would want to have that too.

Also this compilation is a remake that does not have printed manual. The ingame texts in gold box games are in the manual so you need to alt-tab to windows to check them every now and then while playing.

There are lots of printed manuals for this set in sale though in amazon and ebay. Just look for books. They cost from few dollars to twenty dollars.

The only full compilation (well okay it doesnt include hillsfar) of gold box games is
Advanced Dungeons & Dragons (Collector's Edition):
http://www.mobygames.com/game/advanced-dungeons-dragons-collectors-edition

It has full hardcopy manuals but you can only get it from auctions if youre lucky. Its called as ad&d 9 game or advanced dungeon dragon collector in ebay etc. I was able to plunder factory sealed version of this last week for 46€ so I guess its possible if you just keep taps on ebay.

But you need to get hillsfar too. You can play with pool of radiance characters in hillsfar before exporting them on to curse of azure bonds.

Thanks, zakhal. Good info. I was thinking of trying the Savage Frontier games sometime - perhaps this summer. I have no experience of the gold-box games.
I have two or three computers in front of me all the time so no printed manuals is obviously not an issue for me, but I can see that others really prefer them.
Of course, you could just print them out too. At least the parts you need.
As I said - that jewel case thingie is pretty damn cheap :D And it has those rune-key thingies included - at least mobygames claims so.

And you're right about the dragonlance thing too. But I prefer forgotten realms - in fact - I found the dragonlance book well.. uh... unsatisfactory. And that collection IS about FR as the name suggests.

BTW - how ARE the Savage Frontier games ? Sorry for the off topic, just a quick question :D I checked them out from mobygames and wikpedia and found them... interesting somehow. Like I should play them :D

Last edited:
Thanks, zakhal. Good info. I was thinking of trying the Savage Frontier games sometime - perhaps this summer. I have no experience of the gold-box games.

BTW. if you ever plan to get full ad&d series from gold box to neverwinter nights you need to get the dark sun games too: Dark Sun: Shattered Lands and Dark Sun: Wake of the Ravager. They were released between the gold box games and baldurs gate but never got wind enough under them to become a real series.

There was somthing called dark sun online even. It failed iirc. Perhaps they wasted resources on that instead putting out more ad&d/dark sun -games.

Of course, you could just print them out too.

After X years in university there is no other thing I hate more than printed A4s but thats just me of course. Luckily there allready is an electric ink device - just need to wait for the tech to mature enough. :p

I have one darksun game, I bought it dirtcheap from huuto.net...
Hmmm...
Perhaps we should make a new thread for this stuff ?

Temple of elemental evil and dragonshard might be worth getting (demonstone not). Rest I just own except baldurs gate 1 + exp1. Sad thing is I had two copies but the disks of both versions were so worn they simply didnt work anymore..

Don't bother with Dragonshard, it's a very mediocre game. Hell, you can have my copy if you want. :lol:

And you're right about the dragonlance thing too. But I prefer forgotten realms - in fact - I found the dragonlance book well.. uh... unsatisfactory. And that collection IS about FR as the name suggests.

Unsatisfactory?! Ok I just pretend I didnt read that. No matter what the realm - the krynn series i.e champions of krynn and dark queen of krynn (the last goldbox) were among the very best of the gold boxes.

The are books more or less of all of the gold box games. Ive read atleast one while playing the first two games and it was "ok".

BTW - how ARE the Savage Frontier games ? Sorry for the off topic, just a quick question :D I checked them out from mobygames and wikpedia and found them... interesting somehow. Like I should play them :D

They were released around the same time as ultima7 and they did still get ok reviews. I remember them having som lovestory even. Definetly worth playing if you ask me. You can read the original pelit review free with pretty pictures:
http://www.pelit.fi/index.php?id=60135

Ossi Mäntylahti was the "ad&d guru" in pelit.

Don't bother with Dragonshard, it's a very mediocre game. Hell, you can have my copy if you want. :lol:

I know its mediocre & forgottable but still Id like to try it as ad&d rts. Atleast worth a try for what I read about it.

Yeah! I ordered stuff from the amazon.com marketplace and all went well!
The delivery was incredibly fast.. just a few days... how can that be?

I bought Realms of Arkania : Blade of Destiny, and
World of Aden: Thunderscape. Both new. In cheapo packagin tho, no big boxes for me thank you very much. This stuff is nowhere to be found in Finland.
And it was cheap too cause the dollar is so weak against the euro nowadays.
Even with the ridicilously high postages.

Really? That's great.
Do you guys think that I should buy Stonekeep and Betrayal at Krondor, too?

Really? That's great.
Do you guys think that I should buy Stonekeep and Betrayal at Krondor, too?

Wasn't Betrayal at Krondor release by the publishers as a free download some time ago? Worth checking to see if you can get it free before paying

Aren't all of these games available as a free download in one form or another...
freeware, abandonware or some other ware.. :)
It's about the feeling man. Just downloading a zip isn't the same as first looking at a nice piece of cover art in your hands... then popping the cd in there an listening to the cd-drive to begin it's annoying - but oh so appetizing - whine.

Plus, the download versions rarely contain all the music, movies, speech.. etc... if any.

Yes, BaK is freeware. But it´s the smallest of the available versions. At least one edition - I think Sierra Originals - had the sound track as audio tracks on the CD.
Unfortunately BaK is not that easy to get to run. Chances are high the music tracks are not recognized under Windows.
I´m also not sure if it´s practically still playable due to its first gen 3D graphics. The game simply looks butt ugly now. The interface was very good at its time, so that wouldn´t be a problem. The combat system is very good. Writing and chapter structure were ground breaking back then.
BaK was a fantastic gaming experience, maybe even better than the first Gothic for me. But people who know the game would have guessed that without talking about it. ;)

Back
Top Bottom