What games are you playing now?

the characters and story in Bridge is truly great Corwin :)

I think the king is trying to save the queen... using some knights... that red king is a really cool character!

Well.... being a professional poker player there is nothing I HATE more than a poker room who tries to change into fancy graphics.... that takes away from my ability to concentrate on the game.. and slows down my computer.

YECK! IF the gameplay is truly great and in multiplayer.... you don't need anything except good people to play with.

It is just a shame to let some of the great stories and epic games pass you by because of the lousy graphics. To me it is like saying that you prefer the new King Kong because the old one is in black & white.
I don't disagree with you in principle, but it isn't really as simple as it seems. A good friend of mine has struggled for years now to get me to play Fallout and Fallout 2. I've tried, but there's so much that I dislike that I haven't been able to be drawn in. I understand that these are beloved classics and, were they re-rendered in modern terms, might well be favorites of my own. However, they are turn-based games, I don't like turn based -- it breaks my immersion. I just want to play, I'll pause myself if I think it's necessary. FO / FO2 are 2D top down games. I don't like that view, I don't like controlling the character when it's moving toward me, I get confused. Graphics are nowhere near the quality that draws me in. All of these things must be overcome before I can enjoy the games. I can't just ignore them because they directly effect my immersion and therefore my gaming experience.

So you see, to me, it's more than just a matter of color versus B&W. In King Kong there are many more factors at work. King Kong '33 isn't in color, true enough, but that's enough for some people. It's absolutely impossible to interest my cousin in a B&W film and she makes her judgement on that criteria alone. She isn't really missing anything by that decision, either, black and white ruins her ability to suspend disbelief. Shannon's world isn't black and white, she wasn't born in the b&w age, and a film without color is fake looking to her. That must be overcome before she can enjoy any film otherwise it's a struggle for her, it's how her eyes see the world.

Also, as is true with many films of the era, KK '33 is a product of it's time. The story explores the social concerns and trappings of post-depression era America and the messages presented belong to them. For this reason the original film cannot resonate with a modern audience the way it did in it's own time and place. That's one the main reasons King Kong hasn't aged as well as some of the other classic Paramount horrors from the 1930s. The original also labors under the burden of being one of the first (if not the first) big studio effects films. The film was absolutely packed with effects and they revolutionized fantasy film making in Hollywood (and, I'm sure, created the first anti-effects snobs :biggrin:). Nowadays those effects are less believable and limit the ability modern audience see the magic.

I love all three versions of King Kong and my instinct is to agree that if people don't try to look past the limitations of the 1933 original, then they are missing a wonderful experience. However, many people can't just overlook these things, they must overcome them which is very different and makes enjoying what you and I take for granted, a wonderful piece of history, a struggle.

It's like eating a pomegranate, they're delicious, but they're so much work that I start to ask myself if it's really worth it before I manage to get to the good part.

Last edited:
I am a citizen of the now, with a commanding view
Still playing FF X and Morrowind. While I have no idea at which point I am in Final Fantasy X (just met a guy I suspect to be evil... he's got the looks, you know), I got my first two houses on Vvardenfell (built one, was asked to play the cleaner at the other one... the mission giver even took care of the bodies, good guy ;) ). Next stop: Mournhold - there's an easy house there, too (remember the mad mage who challenges you on the street?). After that my Dunmer conjurer will be going to Solstheim to build yet another cottage, and after that I might go out on some adventuring.

I remember that mage, he was nuts! Was a little bit of a suprise for me at the time

Ive been playing Populous:Beginning for a little while (the tutorials and first couple missions) and having a good time with it. It has that quirky Bullfrog feel to it that gives me the notion that this one's definitely a Keeper. No pun intended!

I also got my paws on Manhunt, going to give it a spin tonight too.

Still playing FF X and Morrowind. While I have no idea at which point I am in Final Fantasy X (just met a guy I suspect to be evil... he's got the looks, you know), I got my first two houses on Vvardenfell (built one, was asked to play the cleaner at the other one... the mission giver even took care of the bodies, good guy ;) ). Next stop: Mournhold - there's an easy house there, too (remember the mad mage who challenges you on the street?). After that my Dunmer conjurer will be going to Solstheim to build yet another cottage, and after that I might go out on some adventuring.
I usually just kill the resident NPC and bask in the awesomeness of having a huge house in my fave town. :D

I remember that mage, he was nuts! Was a little bit of a suprise for me at the time

Ive been playing Populous:Beginning for a little while (the tutorials and first couple missions) and having a good time with it. It has that quirky Bullfrog feel to it that gives me the notion that this one's definitely a Keeper. No pun intended!

I also got my paws on Manhunt, going to give it a spin tonight too.

There was a Bullfrog game I had long time ago, I couldnt figure out how to play it...

Started Final Fantasy IX this morning and I am already in love with the characters. It took awhile until I started to feel for the characters in FF8 but here they just get adorable right away. :)
It's also remarkable how beautiful the game is despite being old Playstation 1. :)

Last edited:
Begun WarCraft II a few days ago.
Since I've never played it so far, I just wanted to see how it actually is.
And it is time consuming !

It's also remarkable how beautiful the game is despite being old Playstation 1.

I played it on PC with AA, and enhanced movies in my emulator after having finished on PS1.... my friend was looking and asked what PS2 game is that?? and I am like it is a PS1 game.... he's like WAH??? and after that a movie starts.. some of those movies are just WOW WOW WOW.

played Manhunt for like 5 hrs today, it's pretty fun. Unfortunately, the game has now turned from a great creep-n-decapitate stealth game to a so-so third person shooter. The sound on the game is great. The comments of the lunatics hunting you is absolutely hilarious, and there's many lines so it isnt the exact same comment or two over and over again. The gore doesnt seem to really invoke anything in me purrsonally but a chuckle here and there at the overkill, but then again I'm always watching horror and have seen quite a bit of real life gore and death that makes this seem just silly. Ah you know, it's a 3d model to me, and they all look to be at least 18 years old at the time of their execution. It reminds me of Postal a lot, in that there's lots of pitch black humor mixed in with the violence that is the final barrier to me taking this game serious, in any way.

I need to be more careful when doing searches for Manhunt websites. One word, Sammy, not two! ='.'=

I need to be more careful when doing searches for Manhunt websites. One word, Sammy, not two! ='.'=

:lol:

Really getting into the various Dawn of War demos. Will probably buy the Platinum version. It's just so much damn fun when your big mech guy picks up a bad guy, squeezes all the juice out of him, and then flings him across the battefield! :) And the strategic, boardgame-type approach to the campaign in Dark Crusade looks like just the ticket. No silly "story" to tell, just straight up conquest! :D

playing Kyodai's Mahjong, simple and relaxing game, at least after all the shooting done with Quake4 online...:sleep:

HoMM3. It's the only thing I can get to run right now. Could be worse, I suppose.

Just back from vacation ...

Over vacation I just had my DS and PSP, and continued working through the wonderful Etrian Odyssey on the DS, and after working through Dungeon Maker: Hunting Ground on the PSP I loaded up Crush, which is a really nice action-puzzle game.

Now back to reality ... ;)

I finally finished the main quest of Oblivion... mainly because I was too dissapointed with the game before to actually finish it. It was okay, an enjoyable action-romp.

Now I'm playing Fate, a very pretty Diablo clone. Easy on the eyes, and lots of fun to play. I like the idea of having a different end-goal every play through, and the fact that whenyou retire your character you get a heirloom for your next character :D

On the PS2 I'm still playing FFX, which I rebought after selling it off last year. I couldn't get into it then, but find it very entertaining now.

Fate is good old fashioned fun, I remember when we were chatting about it when we first got it a while back. The fishing can yield some awesome stuff, it's really worth your time to do it.

Played Super Mario for a while last night, got up to like world 5-2 before I started to choke and fell off cliffs and what not. Also fired up Dungeon Keeper again, roughly halfway thru the SP campaign. Just getting dragons and stuff now, this is whre the game starts getting fun.

I think I might shelf Manhunt, It's switched gears and is now a crappy third person shooter. If the shooter controls were good, I might stick with it, but they are pretty lousy. Die, reload, Die, reload. Sit around and wait for ten minutes to make the right move, die , reload. And the save points are getting farther apart. I'm already not very good with stealth games because I'm impatient, but give someone a gun as their only weapon in a stealth game? it's just retarded, too much waiting, i got better things to do

Picked up a couple of games I found for cheap(surprisingly) while on vacation here in Hawaii. I found Prey for $9.99 at a Best Buy, and Disciples 2: Rise of the Elves for $4.99 at a Gamestop.

I've played a couple levels of Prey so far, but it's hard for me to rate the game because the only computer I have to run it on over here has a very low end graphics chip. I can run it at 800x600 with the details on low, but it's not very enjoyable to me like that. I'm looking forward to playing it on my rig when I get back home.

Disciples 2 is a challenging turn-based strategy game that a lot of people here are already familiar with. So far this game has managed to kick my ass a dozen different ways. It doesn't help that the game didn't come with any kind of written manual.

Wow ... that is a bargain! I liked Prey quite a bit at full price - not 'great' but a solid fun shooter with a (gameplay) twist.

@JDR13.: Hope you enjoy Disciples 2--I always play it on the Easy setting as a Mage ruler(spells are cheaper, can cast them twice a day) to avoid frustration. All Easy really does is give you more resources so you can get your units quicker. The Elf and Empire factions have healer units, which is a good way to start out--though my favorite is the Undead Hordes--they kick butt. If you play as a Thief Lord, you have some options for your cheap thief units that you don't otherwise, like switching the order of the opposing stack. It's amazing how much easier it is when the archers are in the front row. :)

Back
Top Bottom